Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on the installation. The manufacturer states that existing stock cables and all work and no replacement or extensions needed. A buddy of mine had them installed on his 16 RGS, same as mine, and his mechanic , watched the youtube video, and insisted it can’t be done, and he added longer cables. I ordered the bars, but am currently deployed and having friends get bars installed. Anyone install these and were you able to do it without extension or new cables?
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put those exact bars on my 17 RGS and didn't need any extensions. All the stock wiring and cables work. I also used the video on their website as a guide and found it very helpful. Make sure to be careful pulling that horseshoe shaped trim piece under the ignition - it is chrome plated plastic and will break if you are not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No cable extensions needed, but i did cut the zip ties that are around the cables to the steering triple trees. It offers a bit more slack so your cables are not streesed too tight. I did have a bitch of a time fishing the wires through the bars!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yup. Just cut zip ties and toss out that wired plastic wire organisation card thing under the gauges.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Yes 14” bars will fit, cut the zip ties and follow the f47 video.

My 17 no mods.

My 18 I added the 12” gorilla wire extensions. You don’t have to remove the plastic wire holder and it gives a little more working room. Worth the $30.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes 14” bars will fit, cut the zip ties and follow the f47 video.

My 17 no mods.

My 18 I added the 12” gorilla wire extensions. You don’t have to remove the plastic wire holder and it gives a little more working room. Worth the $30.
Mat
So you added the 12 inch guerrilla wire with the 14 inch factory 47 mainly for ease of install?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mat
So you added the 12 inch guerrilla wire with the 14 inch factory 47 mainly for ease of install?
Correct. It's doable without just a little snug on the clutch side. It just gives a little more working room and it's easier to dress the wires.
Where did you find the cables for $30 ? On their website they are almost $40 plus $16 for shipping. I mean, I willing to pay it to make it easier on my bud doing install.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Tom, double check what you're buying and pricing. As a general rule of thumb there will be a difference in price between "extensions" that plug into the existing wires and just add length, or a full length wire that will replace the entire factory OEM one.

For example here's an "extension"

$29.58

And here is the full replacement (I usually go this route to minimize the number of potential connection points that might give me issues down the road).
https://www.denniskirk.com/namz-custom-cycle-products/can-bus-handlebar-switch-wiring-harness-nhcx-cb14.p218554.prd/218554.sku
$53.95

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Tom, double check what you're buying and pricing. As a general rule of thumb there will be a difference in price between "extensions" that plug into the existing wires and just add length, or a full length wire that will replace the entire factory OEM one.

For example here's an "extension"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O3YYRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=roadglideconvert-20

$29.58

And here is the full replacement (I usually go this route to minimize the number of potential connection points that might give me issues down the road).
https://www.denniskirk.com/namz-custom-cycle-products/can-bus-handlebar-switch-wiring-harness-nhcx-cb14.p218554.prd/218554.sku
$53.95
Any idea if these include the wires for the heated grips?
It says it fits my 15 CVORGU but I want to make sure. One of these days my new 14" will get here and it would be nice to have these for a faster swap. The other thing I could do then is leave the original wiring in my stock bars so when I trade for my next bike, swapping back will be much easier.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Any idea if these include the wires for the heated grips?
It says it fits my 15 CVORGU but I want to make sure. One of these days my new 14" will get here and it would be nice to have these for a faster swap. The other thing I could do then is leave the original wiring in my stock bars so when I trade for my next bike, swapping back will be much easier.
I did the exact same thing that you're thinking of doing. I left the original wires in my OEM bars in the event I ever sell or trade the bike and want to keep the current bars. Regardless, using the new wires saves a little bit of time and as I've mentioned before, reduces connection points by x1 since you're not using extensions.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
The wire set from DK does have the wire for the heated grips (it's the single black & white wire that you can see coming out of the loom) and confirmed same when I got mine.

I did the exact same thing that you're thinking of doing. I left the original wires in my OEM bars in the event I ever sell or trade the bike and want to keep the current bars. Regardless, using the new wires saves a little bit of time and as I've mentioned before, reduces connection points by x1 since you're not using extensions.
Actually got an email back from Rick in tech support at DK and He told me to use this part # DK # 216248 for the CVO with heated grips.

After I got home and looked them up, that's simple the extensions for the heated grips. NOT the whole harness.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used the Harley extensions on my 14" install, made for a much nicer install... I paid around $25.

Switch wire extensions (10") HD PN 69200034 fit 2015 and up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am putting a set of 12" Factory 47 Signature bars on my 17 RGS and plan on replacing the OEM harnesses with extended guerrilla harnesses (for many of the reasons listed above), is the 6" over stock harness long enough to use plastic piece that holds the connectors or should I order the 9" over stock harness?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I am putting a set of 12" Factory 47 Signature bars on my 17 RGS and plan on replacing the OEM harnesses with extended guerrilla harnesses (for many of the reasons listed above), is the 6" over stock harness long enough to use plastic piece that holds the connectors or should I order the 9" over stock harness?
I'd think the 6" would be plenty for the 12's

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I edited my previous post. That's strictly for the heated grips, not the whole harness :(
No worries. I understood what you were saying. Remember that the heated grip wires run to the grips, not the switch housings :)

In your application it appears that you'll need both the longer switch housing wires AND the extended heated grip wires. Your OEM TBW wire should be plenty long though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'd think the 6" would be plenty for the 12's

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts