Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of adding the factory heated rubber grips to my RGS. i know the grips are internally wired and i know the right side wiring is tied in with the TBW. so my only question is... is there a connector under the gauge cluster to power the the grips (is it plug and play)?

·
Registered
559 Posts
thinking of adding the factory heated rubber grips to my RGS. i know the grips are internally wired and i know the right side wiring is tied in with the TBW. so my only question is... is there a connector under the gauge cluster to power the the grips (is it plug and play)?

Short answer, yes. Lol.

More helpful answer; the right side heated grip will plug right into the end of your twist grip sensor (remove the little black plastic plug that is there now and you'll see the 2 pin holes) and the left side will have the long wire that you will need to wire internally or externally and it will plug in under the speedo cluster. If you remove your speedo cluster, you will see the TGS (twist grip sensor) wiring. If you still have the OEM bars, the TGS wiring will be zip tied because it's so long. With the TGS plugged in, from the connector, back up the wiring about 2"s and you'll see a connector that doesn't have anything in it. That's where you plug the wires from the left side heated grip to complete the circuit. The other plug (from the left grip) needs to go to switched power so that the grips will turn off when you turn the ignition switch off.

Word of caution: The OEM CVO heated grips are designed to be wired and run internally. The P&A heated grips are designed to be wired externally (the switched power lead) and internally (the heating element wires to the above mentioned plug under the speedo). While you can try (and maybe succeed) you can't run the P&A heated grip wires completely internally. You will pinch or damage a wire. Trust me. Been there, done that. Lol. Hopefully my babbling will help.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Directions on the website. There is a pay article by www.lawabidingbiker.com which shows in great detail several different scenarios. Totally worth their price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short answer, yes. Lol.

More helpful answer; the right side heated grip will plug right into the end of your twist grip sensor (remove the little black plastic plug that is there now and you'll see the 2 pin holes) and the left side will have the long wire that you will need to wire internally or externally and it will plug in under the speedo cluster. If you remove your speedo cluster, you will see the TGS (twist grip sensor) wiring. If you still have the OEM bars, the TGS wiring will be zip tied because it's so long. With the TGS plugged in, from the connector, back up the wiring about 2"s and you'll see a connector that doesn't have anything in it. That's where you plug the wires from the left side heated grip to complete the circuit. The other plug (from the left grip) needs to go to switched power so that the grips will turn off when you turn the ignition switch off.

Word of caution: The OEM CVO heated grips are designed to be wired and run internally. The P&A heated grips are designed to be wired externally (the switched power lead) and internally (the heating element wires to the above mentioned plug under the speedo). While you can try (and maybe succeed) you can't run the P&A heated grip wires completely internally. You will pinch or damage a wire. Trust me. Been there, done that. Lol. Hopefully my babbling will help.
perfect. i know the wiring and how it all works i was just curious if the power lead to the left grip had an accessible plug under the cluster? i was just curious if i had to do any extra wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts