Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 Ultra I put 31k miles on her no problems but all of a sudden the factory radio screen went blank. All the radio functions normally except the screen is blank. :confused:

Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it, or should I try and ebay the stock radio and go the custom radio setup route?

I have been reading up on different radios and if anyone knows how hard is it to add the aftermarket hand controls and how do I keep the rear speakers? I don't want to do any splicing but I don't want to spend a grand just get decent tunes as I ride.

I find it aggravating its like Harley sells you a Bike and then you upgrade the seat, exhaust, radio, do a stage one then a 2 etc.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I find it aggravating its like Harley sells you a Bike and then you upgrade the seat, exhaust, radio, do a stage one then a 2 etc.
no need to get aggravated. hd sells you the bike. the other things are your choice, there are many people riding on showroom stock bikes that are perfectly happy with them.

there is a thread somewhere, i think its hdf, that shows how to remove the faceplate from your radio and bend a couple of connectors that will bring the display back to life.

here it is: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/687869-harmon-kardon-blank-display-repair.html

if you don't want to attempt this yourself, you can alternatively send your unit to iron cross audio. they'll fix it for you, plus do some other preventive maintenance type stuff for you. they also have a menu of other 'upgrades' that you can do to the hk unit. they come highly recommended.

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 on the link skratch provided. I had the exact same issue as you are having about a month ago. It really is an easy fix and its free other than the time it takes you.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It is something that does happen; it happened to my old bike as well, but I was lucky as it was still under warranty at the time. When I installed an amp in the old bike, I sent the radio to Iron Cross to ensure everything was good. They updated what was needed and I asked them to change to background light to blue to match my gauges. They do great work and easy to work with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

no need to get aggravated. hd sells you the bike. the other things are your choice, there are many people riding on showroom stock bikes that are perfectly happy with them.
I didn't mean to sound curt its just that when it comes to Harley its easy to spend $$$ I know I have and I don't regret a dime because I cant put a price on the trips and places my wife and I have gone to on our Roadie but what you said is the route I'm leaning towards in the future, that of getting a CVO and riding it stock but I will save that question for another thread.

Guess its a common problem there is a fix for it. I am trying this right now will post how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies you guys know your stuff.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
How bout it haha. Most people that bout a $22-$40 thousand dollar bike probably thought they'd leave it alone. then they stumbled upon RG.org and all bets were off.

I'm glad I saw this if I have a future issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the truth

Hmm I guess I am in denial in regards to not messing with a CVO. There is no 12 step program?

I remember the look on my wife's face when she came out to the garage to see why I was late for supper to find me standing next to the brand new Ultra with it taken apart putting straight shots on, and I told her I was going to keep it stock...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts