Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a trickle charge / jump start tether to replace the pigtail that came with the bike.. This new tether will plug into either a trickle charger or a portable jump start battery pack that i keep in my saddlebag .

When i went to remove the pigtail that came with the bike i saw that it is not connected to the battery terminals. Rather, the wires run into a harness which i cannot easily follow.

I plan just to leave that pigtail in place and install the new tether to the battery terminals.

My question is if doing this is ok..?? I would then have 2 pigtails connected to the battery... not sure uf thats safe (?) Thanks for your replies and help....

Will

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You will be fine, hook 5 of them up if you want to. These harnesses can be used for different accessories or trickle chargers or both. As long as they don't draw more power than the charging system can output when used you are fine. If you only use one and the other sits there doing nothing you are fine as well. The one you have on the bike that you say was not connected to the battery probably had a direct plug in to the factory harness or the dealer just hid the ends real good and it's a dead plug. Grab a test light and check it if you are curious.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Is the pigtail you bought fused? If not where did you find one?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You will be fine, hook 5 of them up if you want to. These harnesses can be used for different accessories or trickle chargers or both. As long as they don't draw more power than the charging system can output when used you are fine. If you only use one and the other sits there doing nothing you are fine as well. The one you have on the bike that you say was not connected to the battery probably had a direct plug in to the factory harness or the dealer just hid the ends real good and it's a dead plug. Grab a test light and check it if you are curious.

I’m not using the one in the harness either. Input one of the ones with the LED light that blinks. Just because I took it off my old bike when I traded it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '19 RGU came with a factory pigtail behind the left side cover built into the harness. The dealer I bought the bike from installed a pigtail behind the right side cover mounted on the battery terminals. I thought about running my heated riding gear from one, but I don't have the adapter, but have plenty of Gerbing harnesses. I let my dealer know the bike came with one in the harness and they sounded surprised (like this is something new for '19). As stated earlier, nothing wrong with having several for different purposes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank guys...

As a follow up, the factory installed pigtail runs into a harness and is not directly connected to the battery terminals.
I did install the new tether which I screwed onto the battery terminal bolts.(nice & tight) -
However i found when I plug the battery tender that I had been using from day one to this new tether , the light on the tender remains orange (which means unit is charging) I left it plugged over nite and this morning I saw it was still orange. I removed the trickle charger from that new tender and then plugged it into the factory installed pig tail and within a few seconds the lite turned green (fully charged)

So what does this mean ? Im guessing the new tether is not compatible with the trickle charger I have ?
Im thinking maybe the new tether is a heavier gauged wire since it will be used for jump starting (if ever needed ,,, hopefully not)
Any thoughts ?

thanks again guys -
-

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
@Still Grumpy
Thanks for the reply, sort of looking for unfused to use as the jump box interface, but most of them are much smaller wire diameter and have fuses. Figured it would ease the 'jump start' if required (don't have to unbury the battery).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
So far everyone I've looked at has small amp fuses (15-20a) and the wire gauge is that size also. The battery lead wire gauge is large (8 maybe) and the jump box is similar. Jump starting will require a large draw to start the bike (look at the CCA on batteries), you can't fuse for that kind of draw. So what I'd like to find is an extension of the battery cables basically that could be outside of the battery box. The charger or heated gear pigtails just can't handle a jump start, they'd probably melt down some insulation or wire trying to do it and would blow the fuse in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
so far everyone i've looked at has small amp fuses (15-20a) and the wire gauge is that size also. The battery lead wire gauge is large (8 maybe) and the jump box is similar. Jump starting will require a large draw to start the bike (look at the cca on batteries), you can't fuse for that kind of draw. So what i'd like to find is an extension of the battery cables basically that could be outside of the battery box. the charger or heated gear pigtails just can't handle a jump start, they'd probably melt down some insulation or wire trying to do it and would blow the fuse in a heartbeat.

i understand what you are saying. But the tether installed plugs (via a Tamiya connector) to any portable battery pack/jump starter which is meant to jump start a battery . I would think that gauge wire is sufficient for whatever current that battery pack shoots out..
Description of the tether says its a 200a fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Tried to explain this before. Was told no way. On my 2017 RGU the factory battery tender is not fused the way the old add on ones were it. It is part of the harness. and if you over load it a 20 amp box in the panel blows . The tend connection is not made to handle 20AMP.
You should be fine running one directly to the battery. Most hook a jump starter to the starter post and then ground it Directly to a frame bolt.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
@smitty901 - Thank you Smitty
Good idea... I Didn't think about the starter jumping method ..
I ride in cooler weather often. Sitting over night the new bikes are a bit harder to start in temp below 20 degrees / Once it gets to about 15 degrees it really become touch and go. The jump starter helps. But it must be hooked up right to be effective. I found out about the way new pig tail runs some time back. I hooked my big charge up through pig tail and forgot to turn it donw it blew that fuse instantly . Good power units now are small and take up little room .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts