Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Does anybody have a suggestion other than a larger size screws to attach the inner and outer fairing. I have stripped mine out.
Use JB weld, i prefer the stick style for this but the putty version will work. Mix it up and i use a match stick to jab it all the way full. The drill it for the screw size.

·
Registered
893 Posts
JB Weld here too. I used the putty type, filled the screw hole then before it set I greased the screw, line it up and put it in. Let the putty dry with the screw in it like that and it created threads. Haven't had a problem with that approach yet and it's held up for over 30k miles.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Small piece of zip tie in one of mine. Happened over 7K miles ago. Just did a 5800 mile round trip and it never let loose. I May do a more permanent solution next time I have the fairing off.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
There a lots of threads on this subject so if you do a search you will find all sorts of suggestions.
I do the JB weld thing too, spray some cooking oil on the screw and let it dry (the cooking oil is a release agent) then mix up the JB weld and stuff it in the hole in the fairing and then take the screw and SCREW it into the soft putty, let the JB weld set up and unscrew the screw. The screw threads are already in the repair so there is no need to drill or tap.
The fairing screws are only suppose to be tightened to 9 inch lbs so it doesn't take much to strip the hole.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Go to Home Depot. Get Mr. Grip. It is on a yellow card and is a piece of tin that u cut into strips. I put it in all 6 holes. Works great. $2 fix.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have cut small strips of Weed Wacker line. I placed one or two, dependent on how large the hole, and threaded the screw. This is not a permanate fix. But it didn't cost me anything but time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK I’m a little off subject here but it seems you have already got some good ideas here. The question is why did the screws strip out?
I pulled the fairing off my new 2013 last winter and when I went to put it back together it seemed to be putting a lot of pressure on the screws to suck and hold the inner and outer fairings together. I pulled the headlight assembly out and put the outer fairing back on without having to put any tension on the screws at all. All the factory wiring was getting in the way behind the headlights. After re-routing some of the wiring to free up space behind the headlights the fairings came together with the screws finger tight. If I hadn’t moved the wiring I would probably have stripped out my fairing.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
OK I’m a little off subject here but it seems you have already got some good ideas here. The question is why did the screws strip out?
I pulled the fairing off my new 2013 last winter and when I went to put it back together it seemed to be putting a lot of pressure on the screws to suck and hold the inner and outer fairings together. I pulled the headlight assembly out and put the outer fairing back on without having to put any tension on the screws at all. All the factory wiring was getting in the way behind the headlights. After re-routing some of the wiring to free up space behind the headlights the fairings came together with the screws finger tight. If I hadn’t moved the wiring I would probably have stripped out my fairing.
I agree.
I alway pinch the inner and outer fairing together with my fingers and just lightly seat the screws. NEVER try to pull the fairing together with the screws.
Also making sure the side fins are lapped right is critical.
NEVER use a electric/air screwdriver on the fairing screws alway tighten the screws by hand.

·
Registered
498 Posts
JB Weld here too. I used the putty type, filled the screw hole then before it set I greased the screw, line it up and put it in. Let the putty dry with the screw in it like that and it created threads. Haven't had a problem with that approach yet and it's held up for over 30k miles.
+1 on this. It works great and it lasts. The only difference in my method is they I used a sharp pick to make the pilot hole dead center in the JB weld then put the greased screw in and let it set. Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts