Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has a 2008 rg,he has stripped the threads for the screws that hold the inner and outer fairings together,is there a simple fix beside filling with jb weld and drill and tapping?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Snip off the end of a zip tie or a toothpick, dab of glue and your good to go. There is no need to crank those screws down, if you are using them to draw the inner and outer fairing together it's not aligned properly. Just snug is all they need to be

·
Registered
334 Posts
my buddy has a 2008 rg,he has stripped the threads for the screws that hold the inner and outer fairings together,is there a simple fix beside filling with jb weld and drill and tapping?
This would be the preferred way to fix the stand ups that are stripped, however you would not drill and tap them after applying the JB Weld. Before the JB Weld sets up, use the original self tapping screw, coated with grease, and screw them into the JB Weld while it is semi-soft to create the threads, then unscrew them. Wait until the JB Weld completely dries then reassemble the fairings.
This would be a good time to trim off the top corners of the radio bracket as well to save the outer fairing from getting worn through.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this subject you just need to do a search.
But all you need is JB Weld & PAM (acts as a release agent) cooking spray or similar product.
Spray screws with the Pam and let them dry them mix JB WELD and pack the holes, then screw in the Pam coated screws, clean up the excess JB Weld while it is still soft, and then let the JB Weld cure and you're done.
The fairing screws only need 9 in lbs of torque so do not over tighten.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a screw in replacement. Instead of a friction fit nut/well the replacement screws into the fairing. Put them in my '08, never had another problem.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
The screw holes in my fairing are perfect, thanks to the dumba$$ FedEx driver hitting me..... new fairing.

But here's how I fixed the holes on the old fairing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is the repair kit:Harley Davidson Windshield/Fairing Brass Inserts Replacement part #16585-96 10ea
Harley Davidson Windshield​/Fairing Brass Inserts Replacemen​t part #16585-96 10eaThis seller accepts PayPal
Buy it now $13.99

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Here is the repair kit:Harley Davidson Windshield/Fairing Brass Inserts Replacement part #16585-96 10ea
Harley Davidson Windshield​/Fairing Brass Inserts Replacemen​t part #16585-96 10eaThis seller accepts PayPal
Buy it now $13.99

Those are for batwing fairings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts