Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I noticed during my first wash on the new CVO RG a couple weeks back that there was a substantial gap between the inner and the outer fairing, above the right speaker; just about where the windshield ends.

I did some research on this forum and Google in general and it seems to be fairly wide spread. Always on the right side. There was not pattern to it. Like, it wasn't just CVOs or Specials, it seemed to run the gamut of 2015 and later RGs.

When I took her in for the 1k mile first service, last Thursday, I pointed it out to the techs (PDX Speed Shop in Portland, OR - GREAT shop, btw) they said they would check it out.

So, when I picked her up at the end of the day they had moved some stuff around and made the gap better but, it certainly wasn't gone. It looks like a mold defect on the inner fairing to me, and them. So they called Harley-Davidson on Friday and sent them pics and measurements of the gap. HD suggested they bring my bike back in for a test fairing swap with another 2018 RG that doesn't have the same gap. Though, admittedly, it still has a wider gap, there on the right side, then the rest of the seam around the inner/outer.

And, that's where we are today. The bike is down at the shop getting the outer fairing swapped with another RG to see if the gap follows my outer fairing to the other bike or stays with my inner fairing on my bike, even with a different outer mounted.

I'm attaching pictures from the way it originally looked, right and left sides. I don't have a picture of what it looked like after they re-positioned it. But, it had improved after they messed with it on Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
No gap on my '16 RGU, maybe even tighter than your left side, but even both sides. Good luck getting it corrected.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd be hesitant since you took apart the fairing already and baked your headlights.... awesome response from the dealer as I know there are a few dealers around that would just try to point the finger back at your. Keep us in the loop and let us know!! Worse comes to worse, I'd ask them if they would be willing to dive deeper into the issue once the weather gets bad, so you can enjoy the ride while you've got some time left!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be hesitant since you took apart the fairing already and baked your headlights....
That wasn't me... I haven't baked anything or have I turned a screw on the fairing.

And, yeah, they aren't gonna keep my bike overnight. The shop is 6 blocks from my office, so I dropped it off in the morning and will pick it up at the end of the day. If they need to swap out the fairing, that's gonna take some time for them to get a new one painted and such... then, should still only be an afternoon in the shop to do the swap, once they have the replacement.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Kind of wish I hadn’t checked. I’ve got the same little gap at the end of the windshield trim on both sides!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It must be fairly common.
It is extremely common. I had a similar gap on my 2015, but was able to equalize the gap between the right and the left sides when I had the fairing off one time. My buddy's 2015 had the same.

Two friends and I just recently bought 2018s and all three have the gap to varying degrees. Again, I was able to minimize mine when I pulled the fairing for my audio upgrade. Some things I've found that help;

1. When reinstalling the fairing, loosely start all the fasteners but do not tighten; these include the turn signal stalk screws, the speaker pod screws, the wind deflector screws and the windshield screws.

2. Align the fairing and push the outer fairing towards the inner fairing tightly and holding slightly upward to close the gap between the inner and outer fairing - now tighten and torque the speaker pod screws

3. Continue pushing the outer fairing towards the inner fairing tightly and holding slightly upward to close the gap between the inner and outer fairing - now tighten and torque the windshield screws beginning with the outer windshield screws first and then do the two middle screws last

4. Tighten and torque the left and right turn signal stalk screws

5. Tighten and torque the left and right wind deflector screws

Sometimes a little banging after it's all done will help settle things in :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think there is likely two issues here. One is, the normal gap that can appear on either side, though more likely on the right, from an improper fit or adjustment. I think when I had mine in last Thursday, they got most of that taken care of.

Then, there is a second issue and that one is where the seam between the two just dont meet correctly. I believe I was suffering from both. The first was taken care of with a proper tweak. The second, it looks like I may have to get a new inner fairing.

I don't have the pictures, but the manager at the shop let me see the pics they sent to HD. With the other outer installed on my bike, the gap was still there. And with my outer installed on the other RG, there was no gap.

SO, now we wait and see how HD wants to handle that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You spend over 40 Grand on a scooter and find workmanship like you have. So much for quality control. I may have had a gap but I filled it with Custom Dynamics LED windshield trim. Good luck with getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Great story with the dealer following through. The gap on my '15 is great, but last week I did some lighting on a friend's '16 RGS and noticed he had the gap on both sides. No matter what I did I could not get the gap to go away. Might just send him to the dealer and hopefully he gets good service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Motorcyclegoat glad the moco is going to take care of it. On my 15 I have a very small gap at the outer end but it is the same on both sides

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer called... fairing is in. WOW, that was way faster than I expected. I was thinking that, being a CVO, that they would have to pull a fairing off the shelf and get it to paint and then ship it out. But, it seems that they must have had a Gunship Grey inner sitting around ready to go. So, the bike goes back on Wednesday next week for the swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts