Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my outer fairing off for speaker swap and am having a hell of a time getting it lined up perfect. This isn't my first dance with the outer and never took longer then 15 mins to get it back. There is a little gap on the upper right and left. Doesn't seem to be a speaker issue as I am using jm speakers.
Gap is about 4" long by about 1/8" gap. Any suggestions before I am forced to go to stealer ship? Hopefully when I go for a ride later it will pop into place but....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Its never going to line up perfectly (and you didn't notice that it didn't when you took the fairing off), I've personally stopped worrying about it, and it hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, a gap between the 2. I think I would have noticed. But I will get over it I am sure.
Guess that is why there isn't a 2014.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mine seems to go back together better if I put the screws in the fairing before I mount the turn signals. If you are doing the signals first it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I had they same problem when I removed mine for speakers and amp, I put on a new windshield KLOCK WERKS 8" with no trim it covered the gaps and look GREAT and works in the the wind, better than stock HD shield.
BRUCE :cool::eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed DDM HIDs the other day, & I had the fairing off twice because I didn't wire them the way I wanted to the first time (and now my oil pressure light is out & I'll have to go back in, argh!), but anyway... First time around I put the turn signal bolts in first and the screws second & ended up with gaps & overall not great fitment. Second time I loosely attached one nut to the turn signal mount to keep the fairing from flopping around & tightened the screws in the fairing first. Much happier with the result second time around. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Did this ever 'fix itself'?? If you look on the inner and outter fairings other side, or bottom.... There are tabs or blades that have to mesh with each other properly for the screws to pull the fairing up snug.
I found that I approach the front of the bike holding the fairing slightly low to the windshield line, when it begins to mesh with the inner (always out of line at this point) the tabs behind the headlights should contact the hooks on the outter and allow you to push no further. Now slowly lift the outter up and toward the in er until the hooks click onto the tabs. If you did this correctly you can let go of the outter and it will just hang in place.... But do so cautiously!!!! Then I put the turnsignals in very loosely with the acorn nuts on just to hold them from falling out. Then I go around and make sure all those tabs are meshed correctly. Do one side and push the outter toward the inner and you will see what I mean. The tabs below the gloveboxes will be the worst since you have the acorn nuts on. You might need to remove the nuts, adjust, replace. There's a good YouTube video of the approach I use to get the fairing hooked on the tabs but I don't have the link.
Make sure the turnsignal wires are pushed up their channels and there are no wires bowed out below the headlights as there is a little air gap there. Ask me how I know :-/

I'll bet your tabs are not meshed correctly but it's only a guess

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havnt bothered with it because I am like that. Lol. I am going with day makers and an amp and will get it right then.
In the meantime I ordered xtrim to fill the gap and for windshield.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just what Fltrx Pilot said. I had the same issue with mine. Had mine off and on a few times. You have to get the fins messed right or it will not line up, and I am not a expert on this but it doesn't line up perfect anyhow . Close but not perfect.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In the meantime I ordered xtrim to fill the gap and for windshield.
Is this where you say the gap is? At the base of the windshield? Or somewhere else like beside the windshield along the joining line of the inner and outter

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I see you used J&M speakers did you put the foam on the inside of the fairing?? I had a hell of a time getting the outer to fit right with that damn foam and you can see where the inner pushes in on the foam.
Take the foam off if it is on and the outer will fit better and it doesn't make any difference in sound quality IMO.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I see you used J&M speakers did you put the foam on the inside of the fairing?? I had a hell of a time getting the outer to fit right with that damn foam and you can see where the inner pushes in on the foam.
Take the foam off if it is on and the outer will fit better and it doesn't make any difference in sound quality IMO.
I used the foam on mine too but saw no issues with outter/inner rubbing or interference that I can tell. And I think it is more of a vibration damper than a sound fidelity thing.... Jus my 2c....

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
When I pulled the outer off I could see where the glove box corners and a few other things made indentations in the foam. The foam also made it a lot harder to install the outer fairing because I had to force the outer into position.
I can install my outer fairing in 10 minutes complete and I don't take out the headlights and that is taking my time, with the foam it took me around a 1/2 hour to get everything to fit right. The foam made it harder to lap the fins right too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I pulled the outer off I could see where the glove box corners and a few other things made indentations in the foam. The foam also made it a lot harder to install the outer fairing because I had to force the outer into position.
I can install my outer fairing in 10 minutes complete and I don't take out the headlights and that is taking my time, with the foam it took me around a 1/2 hour to get everything to fit right. The foam made it harder to lap the fins right too.
Mine might be pressing in those areas too, and I did notice it a little harder to engage the tabs but the foam went on the second time I ever had the faring off so I have nothing to gauge it on from past practice. I will watch for wear and rub areas next time it's off. I don't take headlights off either, with the new day makers in place it's more of a hassle.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My hypothesis of the cause of your problem is that you do not have the front outer fairing seated on both hooks. This is the recommended procedure.

• Remove your forward outer fairing.
  • Remove your forward outer bezel - it snaps off origami-like
  • Remove your head lights. The headlights just pop out by pinching the adjusters from behind when the fairing is off.
Decent youtube instruction video to inspire.
http://youtu.be/13hSQWUaU6M

Demo is of a 2011 FLTR.

If you have an '09 - '14 skip the rest of this paragraph. Mine is a 2008 FLTR. I removed the OEM bubble and replaced it with the flat plastic OEM bezel from the dealership. I did not replace the adjustment pins or inner plastic headlight mount. I did readjust the head lights, which was for the better, from factory delivery because otherwise the bulbs protrude too far and the outer plastic bezel does not easily snap back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+ 2 on what FLTRX pilot said, I had the same problem gaps on the sides where the inner and outer fairing fit together. The fingers or tabs are not meshed together correctly

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed my issue, well the gap in fairing issue. Looked down from riders seat to see if a bag I ran into got sucked up the forks and noticed the right side fairing support was about 2.5 inches closer to the center of bike. Screw holding it was loose. Lossened the acorns and fairing screws and. Shifted the support out towards the lowers. Well low and behold it all lines up pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts