Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to offer a heartfelt congratulations to the thimble dick engineer at Harley Davidson for creating the joyous Road Glide fairing and ease of installation. I have a bear hug waiting for you, ya prick. Can't wait to show you how happy you made me. Over 6 hours to get that sumbitch installed, to find out the right turn signal doesn't work. There is a special place in hell for you. After testing new stereo and handlebar controls, garage door opener operation, USB charger operation, all dash lights working, buttoning everything up to find this...and discovering the need for new well nuts (2 dropped in fairing) for the windshield. Never again, from now on I will have my indy do this shit, cannot believe how disgusted and pissed this makes me. Thanks Harley...

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Yep, it can be a real pain in the sink to get the outer fairing put back on the hooks and installed. If you do have to do it again, may I make a suggestion? When you have the outer fairing off just click the tabs on your headlights unplug them and pull your headlights off. When you go back to install the fairing, you could look through the headlight opening catch the fairing brackets on the hooks, plug the headlights in than line up the tabs and click them back in place.

If I mis-understood the biggest issue you had, sorry about that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Try using a dry erase marker to make a couple marks on the fairing to help line everything up during reassembly. I started doing this after going into the nose twice within a few days of each other.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yup, those older fairings are an incredible [email protected] It's like there's hack upon hack until the got the POS to stay on.
Harley finally designed a new one from scratch on the Rushmores. It's actually planned out and it works. Imagine that!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Install the well nuts on the windshield first. Put the screws through the windshield and then screw the wellnuts on until they just touch the windshield. Now you just push them in the holes and tighten. No more lost wellnuts. I must have had the fairing off and on about a 1000 times in the 15 years I owned it. On the old ones like mine you couldn't take out the headlight assembly from the front, you had to remove the fairing to just change a head light bulb.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
You made me laugh, my thoughts exactly the 1st time I installed mine. Like others have said, removing the headlamp makes the install much easier.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Agree with what madmat said. I leave the headlight trim off,remove a headlight and put it together that way. After I make sure everything works, I finish with these last 2 items.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas, it is back together now. I have to go to Harley to get 5 new well nuts, and then take the bike to my indy to get the front right turn signal fixed. I will not pull that bastard again, no way no how.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I would like to offer a heartfelt congratulations to the thimble dick engineer at Harley Davidson for creating the joyous Road Glide fairing and ease of installation. I have a bear hug waiting for you, ya prick. Can't wait to show you how happy you made me. Over 6 hours to get that sumbitch installed, to find out the right turn signal doesn't work. There is a special place in hell for you. After testing new stereo and handlebar controls, garage door opener operation, USB charger operation, all dash lights working, buttoning everything up to find this...and discovering the need for new well nuts (2 dropped in fairing) for the windshield. Never again, from now on I will have my indy do this shit, cannot believe how disgusted and pissed this makes me. Thanks Harley...
Really 6 hours to install the outer fairing! The outer fairing install should only take 20 minutes tops. WHY did you take off the windshield? I've taken my outer fairing off/on hundreds of times and I don't remove the windshield or headlights, all you need to do is hang the outer o the hooks and lap the side fins correctly and put in the turn signals and screws. Keep practicing and the next thing you know you'll be putting on the outer fairing with your eyes closed. :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not to steal this thread but I have a windshield question. Is there suppose to be foam in between the shield and fairing? I'm asking cause the 2011 I bought the rear left screw that holds windshield on is on a really bad angle. It looks like the foam is too thick holding the shield away from the fairing. Just asking before I take it off and see why

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I work on a coworker's '09 CVO RG that was purchased from an Indian dealer. I don't want to necessarily say that they butchered this thing but holy shit, what a nightmare. Somebody did a number on this thing. My 2012 was a breeze, once you see what has to go where it's a 30 minute job max to remove and install with beer in hand. This guy's 2009 has taught me something though, how to deal with the ones that do not cooperate on disassembly or reassembly. @FLTRXS15 has the right method, it is a cakewalk with the headlight removed for removal and installation. I found in my experiences that as long as you can hook the fairing everything else can be fiddled with after that. I also found that to remove the turn signals I only had to remove the middle and lower fairing screws, remove the turn signal mounting nuts and drop the assemblies, separate the fairng halves and reach up to disconnect. So much easier than full fairing removal like i thought had to be done. Remember, you can't get good at it unless you practice!:wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts