Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a set of vented lower fairings on my 2012 Road Glide and now I feel like my legs are catching on fire. I also noticed that my air temp intake gauge is reading near the 100 degree mark on most rides where the temp here is in the high 80's. I have the vents wide open and added a set of mid frame air deflectors with no change. The service guys tell me the bike runs about 12-15 degrees hotter with the fairing lowers and its no worry. Anyone else notice this drastic change? Wondering if I should also go to a more open air cleaner? I have a Kuryakyn Hypercharger right now.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I would just remove the vents. BTW, I don't want to rain on any parades, but the hypercharger is more for show than go, if you want the engine to breathe better, there are many better A/Cs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about removing the vents also but didn't think it would give me that much more air. Will give that a try. Yeah looking for a more open air cleaner that works with lowers. Gonna get rid of the Hypercharger I think.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
remove the vents

may be a bit hotter with the lowers installed , but my unscientific opinion is that you are probably getting more forced air flow to the motor with the lowers than without

JtB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've ridden my RGU with and without the lowers on. Personally I like the wind protection with them on. Yes it's a little bit warmer but not enough to cause discomfort or damage to the motor.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Having lowers on your RG is not going to cause any heat concerns for the motor. Lowers have been on the EG Ultra for many, many years and came on the RG Ultra the three years it was produced. You may notice more heat on your legs from not getting as much airflow, but the temp difference to your engine is negligible. As others have said, you can completely remove the vents if you choose to. Depends on your riding style. For those of us who ride rain or shine and the lowers and vents provide good protection.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The fairing lowers won't cause the engine to run much hotter than normal but those mid frame heat deflectors are heat traps and removing them will improve air flow to the rear cylinder and let the rear cylinder run cooler.
The reason you feel the heat more is the lowers create a vacume and draw the engine heat forward before it can escape.
I usually run my hard lowers and pull the vents in the summer but this year here is AZ it was too hot (temps of 105 to 118) and I had to pull the lowers off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for all the great feedback guys. Pulled my vents off today so we will see how it feels at Street Vibes in two weeks. Reno will be warm!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
you won't notice much of a difference if you're stuck in stop and go traffic. for the vent removal to actually make a difference, you gotta be moving. (now this is all said with the caveat of never having been to street vibes, but assuming it's gonna be a crowded affair).

the lowers actually help your engine to run a little cooler by funneling air over the cylinders. unfortunately, that hot air has to go somewhere, and that is usually over your legs. i remove the vent doors every year, and put them back on for the winter. i find that the extra heat with the lowers is well worth the extra protection/wind management that you get.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I recently put a set of vented lower fairings on my 2012 Road Glide and now I feel like my legs are catching on fire. I also noticed that my air temp intake gauge is reading near the 100 degree mark on most rides where the temp here is in the high 80's. I have the vents wide open and added a set of mid frame air deflectors with no change. The service guys tell me the bike runs about 12-15 degrees hotter with the fairing lowers and its no worry. Anyone else notice this drastic change? Wondering if I should also go to a more open air cleaner? I have a Kuryakyn Hypercharger right now.
Coming in late on this topic, but as the others have already said, yes, ditch those.
Scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fairing lowers reduce engine heat on the highway, even more so with the vents closed, the lowers direct the air around the heads and cyls.

I have tested this with my Power Vision, without lowers I saw 20* rise in head temps, with the lowers on and vents open, I witnessed a 7* rise, verses with vents closed.

This testing was done on the same day within an hour. FWIW

Lowers on does make it feel warmer on the legs, but the engine benefits from force fed air.

Daren

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Fairing lowers reduce engine heat on the highway, even more so with the vents closed, the lowers direct the air around the heads and cyls.

I have tested this with my Power Vision, without lowers I saw 20* rise in head temps, with the lowers on and vents open, I witnessed a 7* rise, verses with vents closed.

This testing was done on the same day within an hour. FWIW

Lowers on does make it feel warmer on the legs, but the engine benefits from force fed air.

Daren
I have no doubt as to your findings as read from the front head sensor on your Powervision. But if you check the head temp with a quality temp gun (check on the flat surface where the spark plug screws in) there will normally be a 30 degree increase in rear cylinder head temp when using lower fairings at highway speeds.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have no doubt as to your findings as read from the front head sensor on your Powervision. But if you check the head temp with a quality temp gun (check on the flat surface where the spark plug screws in) there will normally be a 30 degree increase in rear cylinder head temp when using lower fairings at highway speeds.
Interesting, you have performed this test?
What were your front and rear head temps, with and without lowers installed?

Typically, on a properly tuned twin cam there will be roughly a 20 degree difference between front and rear head temps from what I've seen.

The "engine temp" that is displayed on power vision, or in data master of tts, is calculated within the ECM, not only from the head sensor, but also the IAT sensor and ambient air temp.

I can't see the rear head climbing 30 degrees and the over all engine temp dropping 20 degrees as I have witnessed.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Interesting, you have performed this test?
What were your front and rear head temps, with and without lowers installed?

Typically, on a properly tuned twin cam there will be roughly a 20 degree difference between front and rear head temps from what I've seen.

The "engine temp" that is displayed on power vision, or in data master of tts, is calculated within the ECM, not only from the head sensor, but also the IAT sensor and ambient air temp.

I can't see the rear head climbing 30 degrees and the over all engine temp dropping 20 degrees as I have witnessed.
The head temps I always strive for when on the dyno are 300 degrees, and again that is measured at the flat spark plug location of the head. Your 20 degree difference between front and rear is an example of a well tuned twin cam. Normal temp on my 98" are 280 front and 300-310 rear at highway speeds, but with my lowers on and the vents open the rear goes to 335-340. Never checked the rear with vents closed but now you have peaked my curiosity.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The head temps I always strive for when on the dyno are 300 degrees, and again that is measured at the flat spark plug location of the head. Your 20 degree difference between front and rear is an example of a well tuned twin cam. Normal temp on my 98" are 280 front and 300-310 rear at highway speeds, but with my lowers on and the vents open the rear goes to 335-340. Never checked the rear with vents closed but now you have peaked my curiosity.
What does your front head read with lowers on? You have my curiosity peaked as well, I will test this when time allows.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What does your front head read with lowers on? You have my curiosity peaked as well, I will test this when time allows.
Front head will drop a little, 275* or so with the vents open. It's the rear cylinder that makes a major change on mine. I haven't had time to test with the vents closed, things have been crazy around here with shop repair going on. I'll PM you with the results when I do check it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts