Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I really want to add some lower leg fairings to my '13 RG Custom and have a few questions for those who have or have had them.

1. Am I right to say they will divert wind away from me and make for a smoother ride? I have highway peg extensions as I am 6'5, when I put legs on the hw pegs I start to get a bunch of wind coming up my leg and hitting me in the chin. Will Lowers help with this?

2. Besides the ones from Harley, is there other lowers I should consider? Are they better or worse than Harley's? Harley's are not cheap...

3. The other reason I want lowers is to add more speakers to my bike. Is there a benefit to putting speakers in the lowers opposed to saddle bag lids? I think eventually I'd like speakers in lowers and lids but wondering what ones to do first?

4. Lastly, it does get hot in Denver in July. Do people take the lowers off in the hot months? Is it a huge PITA to do? I have seen some lowers might have vents that can open to let some air in.

I think they look awesome but I want to make sure they will give me what I want before investing my hard earned money. Thanks in advance mates!

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
You can often find used lowers on ebay for a good price. I'm only 5'8" so I can't speak for your height, but the lowers make a big difference on the highway for me, and are great in the rain. I removed the vents on my lowers, (works better without them IMO ), I live in Florida and keep mine on all year. I have speakers in the lowers and in my lids, the speakers in the lowers do make a bigger difference for the rider when the bike is moving. I'm sure others will chime in, but the previous statemets are my observations.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I put a set of Mutazu's Lowers on my Custom and love them.
Just like Harley OEM ones only much less expensive.
They do block a lot of wind when riding.
Mutazu offers Forum Members a 10% discount.
I don't have speaker pods in them so I can't speak on them.
I have my highway pegs mounted but haven't used them with the lowers on.
I would imagine you would still get some wind going up the pant legs tho.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I love my lowers with speakers! I have the HD ones. Hawg Wired ZX-654s fit perfectly in the CVO boxes, and I haven't taken them off since I put them on back in 2010. They lasted SWIII this year without any issues

stealing beer from Garvin's fridge when he ain't home!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I love my lowers with speakers! I have the HD ones. Hawg Wired ZX-654s fit perfectly in the CVO boxes, and I haven't taken them off since I put them on back in 2010. They lasted SWIII this year without any issues

Thanks for the info Peewee!
I may go that route over the winter.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No problem! I did a thread of my install with some pics, I'll try to remember to find it tomorrow and post the link to it. Its well worth it

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
No problem! I did a thread of my install with some pics, I'll try to remember to find it tomorrow and post the link to it. Its well worth it

Peewee if I remember correctly I think I bookmarked your thread on my home computer. I'll check when I get home tomorrow.
Thanks, once again.
That's why I always say, This is The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Mike U.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Lowers all the way for a decent highway ride. I prefer the looks without them but the upward wind blast w/o them is irritating. Tried the Desert Dawgs and aside from keeping bugs and small animals off your legs they still create the updraft. Made a mental note the last time I took the factory lowers off and back on after one ride to just leave them on and find something else to mess with.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey all,
I really want to add some lower leg fairings to my '13 RG Custom and have a few questions for those who have or have had them.

1. Am I right to say they will divert wind away from me and make for a smoother ride? I have highway peg extensions as I am 6'5, when I put legs on the hw pegs I start to get a bunch of wind coming up my leg and hitting me in the chin. Will Lowers help with this?

2. Besides the ones from Harley, is there other lowers I should consider? Are they better or worse than Harley's? Harley's are not cheap...

3. The other reason I want lowers is to add more speakers to my bike. Is there a benefit to putting speakers in the lowers opposed to saddle bag lids? I think eventually I'd like speakers in lowers and lids but wondering what ones to do first?

4. Lastly, it does get hot in Denver in July. Do people take the lowers off in the hot months? Is it a huge PITA to do? I have seen some lowers might have vents that can open to let some air in.

I think they look awesome but I want to make sure they will give me what I want before investing my hard earned money. Thanks in advance mates!
1. 'Put the HD vented lowers / J&M Rokker XTs on the '09 SERG this summer and couldn't believe the difference in the aero management that the vented lowers made on the '09 SERG, along with the flaps and the GADS Lower Triple Tree Air Deflector nothing but clean air at any speed (with / without helmet)! 'Am running 12" WindSplitter and see no need to get an UGLY windshield. I am 6'4" and like to use highway pegs a lot, no more directed wind blast when doing so.

2. 'Shopped 'em all (even used on ebay) and decided to go with the HDs from a 20% off dealer and have them painted by Gunslinger in the CVO '09 Charcoal Slate ( a good $175 less than ordering them from Harley)

3. 'Went with the speakers in the lowers, much better sound ~ crystal clear at 90+ ~ when riding the bike & didn't take up any packing room ( "The Ball & Chain" and travel a lot ~ gotta have room for those shoes lol)

4. 'Live in FLA and the '05 SEEG (still have) came with vented lowers and never even think of taking them off, or for that matter, most always ride with the vents closed, will open them up sometimes when I think about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey all,

i just added them to my 04 and my 12 CVO. Speakers in both sets. The 04 gets ridden alot so it seemed to make a lot of difference in the ride from a wind prospective and sound prospective.

the 12 CVO, not much difference to report except it did make a lot of difference in the sound quality at speed. Course, i ripped out the Harley amp and put a aftermarket amp and speakers in the upper and lower fairings, so that could be the major difference.

I think they are a good add to any RG. I made my speaker connections quick disconnect so that the lowers could be removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts