Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you are using the lowers and what do you think of them? Considering purchasing a set and wanting to know the pro's and con's

Thanks!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I run them all the time.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
How many of you are using the lowers and what do you think of them? Considering purchasing a set and wanting to know the pro's and con's

Thanks!
Do not know what year bike you have, but it makes a difference. Pre-2010 do not fit the standard lowers without some sort of mods. 2010 and up, you can put on the standard HD Lowers without issue, as long as you still have the stock Engine Bars.

I have a 2009, and I remounted the fairing with 2010 mounts, and run stock lowers all the time. One thing I would recommend, if you get stock lowers, is to replace those stupid snap on box doors with the Magnetic ones. Much easier to use, you do not have to fight the snaps.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've been running with Lowers since I bought the RGU just over 3 years ago. I love 'em!

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I've been running lowers for a few years, living in Florida I thought I wouldn't really need or want them, I was wrong. They're great in the rain, and also stop your pants from running up your leg, I haven't noticed any extra heat, and now I have speakers in them, so I guess they're staying.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
All pros, no cons. Installing the '10 & later brackets and the vented lowers eliminated all the buffeting on the '09 SERG. The vented lowers are comfortable for me in all climates / conditions

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a used set of the older non-vented lowers several years ago & run them in the winter. You know how severe these Texas winters can be! I take them off during the summer (about March - November), but I'm getting old & lazy, so I'm getting a set of the vented ones and run them year round. Maybe even put speaker pods in them!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lowers

Are they worth the money? 2013 RG Custom in orange, looks like about $650 for a painted set? Is there enough room to use the Kury highway clamps or do you have to use HD clamps for the pegs?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Worth every cent. If even just for the wind management. The quick disconnet kit is worth it as well.

I personally use the long angled HD brackets. There is some room between the bar and the lowers but I'm not sure how much room. the Kury ones need.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
I put a set on my 15 RGS, I had never had any before and should have them all along. You might want to send a note to pc pain on this forum, he is out of a dealer in Texas and usually can give a great price.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Make sure you get the Vented lowers, the non vented make it too hot in the summer if you live in hot weather area.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Been running them since 08 when I bought my Ultra classic and currently on my 13 RGU. Definitely helps with wind management and I like the look .

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,149 Posts
Took them off one summer (have an Ultra); never again. Vented lowers work great and I also wouldn't go with the quick disconnect, because I am leaving them on. Don't notice a big difference in heat in the summer, but I love the benefits in wind/element (read; rain) relief. So, I actually added the Hawg-wired "four in your face" system. Lowers are on for good.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I put the vented fairing lowers on my 08 a few years back and I love the way they help with the buffeting and provide protection from the rocks and other road debris, I have a bunch or chips in the paint on the fairing lowers (upper fairing too) from rocks that would have hit my shins.
I do feel more heat from the engine with the lowers on so I remove the vent doors to give me more air flow and that is OK until the temp get 100 degrees and above then I need to remove the fairing lowers to improve air flow on my legs.
I got my fairing lowers and the quick disconnect kit from PC Pain for a good price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree..I like mine,,extra compartments for little things, wind control, plus mine are the adjustable ones, so I can open or shut them depending on the weather... I had the soft ones on my Road King and liked using them too..

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you use the old style non-vented lowers, you can get vents to cut into them from Classic Motorcycle Vents. They can be fully open, fully closed, or 2 partially open settings. I run mine year round and don't ever need to take them off. The lowers really do smooth out the wind and buffeting. I haven't found any cons to having them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The vented lowers where on my bike when I bought it. Didn't think I would like them at first. I had to remove them when I did the painted inner fairing. Didn't put them back on right away and after the first 50 miles I counldnt wait to get them back on. A lot less wind. Plus I have speakers in mine now, lovin that also. I wouldn't own another bike with out lowers. Give PC Pain a shout a Horny toad he is great on price's. I bought my painted inner fairing from him.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts