Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, back in 2014 I went down on my bike.

It was repaired by the local HD dealership, and insurance covered it. Well, during my radio installation I was about to take off the inner fairing and noticed as I was looking in-between the fairing and handle bars that the right portion of the fairing mount looks a little pushed in from when I laid it down and it slid into the bumper of a truck.

Now, after I laid it down, I noticed the right lower fairing doesn't fit, because it touches the bottom front fairing. So, that definitely makes me thing it's a little bent in towards the tank.

Do I need to buy a whole new mount or can I get like a rubber mallet and try making it straight again? It's barely noticeable that it's bent towards the tank, but when comparing it to the other side you can notice it.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I would buy a new bracket that way you know the bracket is correct. Also look at the crash bar it may be tweaked a little.
I would install the 2010 and later brackets on your 07 if you're buying brackets but you would need to spend a bit more because you would need both outer fairing supports brackets and the main center support bracket.
I put the 2010 brackets on my 08 and put the vented fairing lower on the bike.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would buy a new bracket that way you know the bracket is correct. Also look at the crash bar it may be tweaked a little.
I would install the 2010 and later brackets on your 07 if you're buying brackets but you would need to spend a bit more because you would need both outer fairing supports brackets and the main center support bracket.
I put the 2010 brackets on my 08 and put the vented fairing lower on the bike.
I found the fairing bracket online for $66. The other brackets you're talking about, that's what mounts to the crash bar and the fairing mounts to that correct? If so, I'm reading I can get the Hell's Foundry Invisible bracket. It'll clean the look of the bike up as well.

How would the fairing bracket mount affect what lowers you have? I currently have non-vented ones and most likely want to just stick with those then eventually upgrade to vented lowers if needed.

I'm pretty annoyed that the dealership didn't fully inspect this, I even told them I tried to install the lower fairings after I received the bike back and all they could tell me is it might cost a few hundred dollars to figure out the issue and get it corrected.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ghost Brackets

Just to clarify, I can get the 2010 fairing mount and the hell foundry invisible brackets, correct?

Looking at buying parts soon.
The Engine Guard with Fairing Supports: IE, support Fairing and also are components of the Directionals. Removing the Fairing Support Brackets & installing the Ghost Bracket will require turn signal mods. Not a Big Deal..just be prepared for it. Your going to require a few extra bolts as now the inner fairing requires a backing. Doing this will hinder lower installs. You will be using the center location of the Engine Guard to now install the Ghost Bracket as it now will support the weight of the Fairing. Follow? They are supported on the Engine Guard alone, removing engine guard setup..No Lowers...Factory 47 also makes Ghost Brackets if you get a chance to look at them.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
The Engine Guard with Fairing Supports: IE, support Fairing and also are components of the Directionals. Removing the Fairing Support Brackets & installing the Ghost Bracket will require turn signal mods. Not a Big Deal..just be prepared for it. Your going to require a few extra bolts as now the inner fairing requires a backing. Doing this will hinder lower installs. You will be using the center location of the Engine Guard to now install the Ghost Bracket as it now will support the weight of the Fairing. Follow? They are supported on the Engine Guard alone, removing engine guard setup..No Lowers...Factory 47 also makes Ghost Brackets if you get a chance to look at them.
You are not talking about the same brackets. I believe the OP is wanting to use the Hells Foundry Hidden Fairing Support Brackets that attach to the tank bolts and then to the turn signals. No mods required and you can still use the engine guard with lowers. I know as I have done this on 2 different bikes.

Dinggus- you will not need the original fairing support brackets when using the Hells Foundry brackets.

http://www.hellsfoundry.com/fairing_support_fltr.htm

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well there you Go...i was wrong again...did not realize they connected to the tank...I removed a set on my 13 that attached at Engine Guard Location. So..Never Mind :) The Directional Issue will still need to be addressed..or I could be wrong again..Ha!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Well there you Go...i was wrong again...did not realize they connected to the tank...I removed a set on my 13 that attached at Engine Guard Location. So..Never Mind :) The Directional Issue will still need to be addressed..or I could be wrong again..Ha!
That's still not an issue. They come with shorter studs to go in the turn signals if you elect to use them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's an issue if they are too long or too short there Silly. That could be an issue...lol..I know what your saying..I had a 12 and currently have a 13 and the 12 had studs the 13 does not...Hmmmm. so there could be some slight differences. All I was stating is he may have to address it. Either Way..it looks like he has a new project on the Horizon.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
It's an issue if they are too long or too short there Silly. That could be an issue...lol..I know what your saying..I had a 12 and currently have a 13 and the 12 had studs the 13 does not...Hmmmm. so there could be some slight differences. All I was stating is he may have to address it. Either Way..it looks like he has a new project on the Horizon.

You don't use the acorn nuts if the studs are too long. Lock nuts and washers work just fine. That's the only mod needed if you want to call that a mod.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are not talking about the same brackets. I believe the OP is wanting to use the Hells Foundry Hidden Fairing Support Brackets that attach to the tank bolts and then to the turn signals. No mods required and you can still use the engine guard with lowers. I know as I have done this on 2 different bikes.

Dinggus- you will not need the original fairing support brackets when using the Hells Foundry brackets.

Hell's Foundry | Accessories | FLTR Road Glide | Fairing Support & Mount for Road Glide
Thanks guys, I'll be placing an order shortly.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
If you have the RG non vented fairing lowers you can use the stock brackets. If you decide on upgrading to the vented fairing lowers then you need the 2010 and later fairing brackets including the center fairing bracket that attaches to the frame.
If you want to do the vented fairing lower upgrade in the future make sure you get the correct ghost bracket or if the ghost bracket is comparable for the 2007 to the 2010 bracket. The 2010 brackets raise the upper fairing around 1 3/4 inches so there may be a difference in the ghost brackets.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you have the RG non vented fairing lowers you can use the stock brackets. If you decide on upgrading to the vented fairing lowers then you need the 2010 and later fairing brackets including the center fairing bracket that attaches to the frame.
If you want to do the vented fairing lower upgrade in the future make sure you get the correct ghost bracket or if the ghost bracket is comparable for the 2007 to the 2010 bracket. The 2010 brackets raise the upper fairing around 1 3/4 inches so there may be a difference in the ghost brackets.
The fairing bracket is the same as the center fairing bracket, is it not? Because I'm tracking just 3 parts needed. Center fairing bracket, left engine mount to fairing and right engine mount to fairing (the last 2 if I decide not to get the invisible bracket from Hells Foundry).

And I should still be able to use the non-vented fairings until I get vented fairings?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The fairing bracket is the same as the center fairing bracket, is it not? Because I'm tracking just 3 parts needed. Center fairing bracket, left engine mount to fairing and right engine mount to fairing (the last 2 if I decide not to get the invisible bracket from Hells Foundry).

And I should still be able to use the non-vented fairings until I get vented fairings?
No they are not the same. The 2007 brackets on your bike are a 1 3/4 lower than the 2010 brackets. So if you decide to go with the vented fairing lowers in the future the vented fairing lowers will not fit because the upper fairing is too low.
HD made the fairing bracket change to the 2010 and later RG to accommodate the vented fairing lowers. HD changed all 3 brackets in 2010 so they could raise the upper fairing.
If you don't upgrade to the vented fairing lowers then the 2007 brackets can be used so make sure you get a ghost bracket to fit your 2007 bike.
If you decide to upgrade then you need at the very least the 2010 center support bracket and either the 2010 outer brackets or the ghost bracket for the 2010 and later RG.
I did the 2010 support bracket upgrade and the vented fairing lowers too my 08 and I got all my parts from PC pain for a good price. The upgrade is worth every penny IMO

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No they are not the same. The 2007 brackets on your bike are a 1 3/4 lower than the 2010 brackets. So if you decide to go with the vented fairing lowers in the future the vented fairing lowers will not fit because the upper fairing is too low.
HD made the fairing bracket change to the 2010 and later RG to accommodate the vented fairing lowers. HD changed all 3 brackets in 2010 so they could raise the upper fairing.
If you don't upgrade to the vented fairing lowers then the 2007 brackets can be used so make sure you get a ghost bracket to fit your 2007 bike.
If you decide to upgrade then you need at the very least the 2010 center support bracket and either the 2010 outer brackets or the ghost bracket for the 2010 and later RG.
I did the 2010 support bracket upgrade and the vented fairing lowers too my 08 and I got all my parts from PC pain for a good price. The upgrade is worth every penny IMO
I think I'm got confused when you said fairing brackets, I was thinking of the center fairing. I'm tracking I need to replace all 3 parts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
There is torque specs but I never used a torque wrench when I did mine and I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Where could I find it at?
The specs are in your HD 2007 touring service manual.

Fairing bracket head bolt locknuts 20 - 30 ft lbs
inner fairing/radio bracket locknuts 96 - 144 in lbs

Reactions: dinggus

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pretty annoyed. Took me about an hour after marking everything and taking photos.

Installed a 2010 fairing bracket since mine was bent, also installed the hidden fairing bracket.

I did a mock up fit test and the right portion of the inner fairing is perfect but the left side has about half a inch to go before it's touching the bracket.

I also tried to put on my right lower nonvented fairing because that's the side that wouldn't connect. I still have the issue of it touching the lower portion of the front fairing. The left side clears with like a quarter of a inch so it bolts up perfectly.

So now I have no clue why my right lower fairing still doesn't mount correctly after replacing the bent front fairing bracket and using Hells Foundry hidden fairing brackets.

Only thing I can think of is the crash bar is bent, which I'm sure the dealership would have figured that out since they had to repaint it when I laid it down at 10mph.

Do you guys have any ideas?

The photo shows that the right portion of the fairing is perfectly touching the bracket but the left has like a quarter inch of spacing.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts