Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the disassembly stage on the Road Glide inner fairing for painting and of the many posts on our forum, I read the warnings about silicone and what it can cause under painted surfaces.

Some time ago I also read that Kiwi Leather Dye was a stop-gap measure some have used to recolor the faded areas on our inner fairings. I have also used this on many spots on my fairing and am hoping this will not preclude me from having mine painted.
I have been unable to find on the bottle or on the Internet what the properties of this stuff is, and may not be able to due to its proprietary nature.

Has anyone on our boards had DIRECT experience with this leather dye and subsequently painted their inner fairing without issues?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Are you painting it yourself? If so try painting the glove box door as a test. I used Armor All on mine a couple of times before deciding to paint it and have not had any issues. I used HOK adhesion promoter and it's been a couple years and still looks like new and no adhesion problems.

I also cleaned the heck out of it with a couple types of special cleaners. I used Lord Fusor degreaser, and SEM soap. Good prep is key to a good finish.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you painting it yourself? If so try painting the glove box door as a test. I used Armor All on mine a couple of times before deciding to paint it and have not had any issues. I used HOK adhesion promoter and it's been a couple years and still looks like new and no adhesion problems.

I also cleaned the heck out of it with a couple types of special cleaners. I used Lord Fusor degreaser, and SEM soap. Good prep is key to a good finish.
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. No, I am not painting these myself. I am using a local body shop that has painted these before. The painter is a customer of the company I work for and am getting a good deal on the job. All he has recommended to me is to make sure the parts are clean then go over them with Prep-Sol.

Getting the sticky off the inner fairing for the edging take some elbow grease to get completely off and removing the switches from the speedo/tac housings were a BITCH! Too bad those switch assemblies don't come off with screws like on the batwing fairings. Getting them back in without scratching up the new paint will be a PITA, I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That nasty edge trim adhesive is one of the tough parts of that job!

Gray scotchbrite and simple green followed by good rinsing should do the trick just fine, I use some industrial grade stuff here but we're not quite degreasing jet exhaust residue are we, lol

Adhesion promoter isn't really needed since the inner fairing isn't bare plastic, however epoxy primer is a must if you want to give the base coat a chance to bond.

Clean, prime, base/clear and just for kicks wetsand with 800 and shoot a nice "show coat" of clear again. That's how I do it here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That nasty edge trim adhesive is one of the tough parts of that job!

Gray scotchbrite and simple green followed by good rinsing should do the trick just fine, I use some industrial grade stuff here but we're not quite degreasing jet exhaust residue are we, lol

Adhesion promoter isn't really needed since the inner fairing isn't bare plastic, however epoxy primer is a must if you want to give the base coat a chance to bond.

Clean, prime, base/clear and just for kicks wetsand with 800 and shoot a nice "show coat" of clear again. That's how I do it here.
I did get it all scrubbed off with Lacquer thinner and red rags..
I have a consult with my painter tomorrow and I'll suggest a trial paint process on one of my storage box covers.

Btw, the switches snap back in real easy! Just make sure you put them in the right place ;)
Thanks for the post!!!

By-the-by, I am also a certified A & P, just not current. Not missing the occasional stab from safety wiring chores!
I like your wbesite, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts