Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here are some 6X9's in my RG

You can get 6X9's in if you want to take the time to do it.
If you decide to go this way be sure to get some that have the lowest profile grilles possible so you don't have interference with the fork tube bolts.

Here is a link to how I got mine installed:

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/04Glider2/library/New%20BIke%20Mods/04%20Road%20Glide%20Stereo%20Upgrade?evt=email_share#/user/04Glider2/library/New%20BIke%20Mods/04%20Road%20Glide%20Stereo%20Upgrade?sort=6&evt=email_share&page=1&_suid=138548644262501038065454101394

Got the Polk Audio Marine grade speakers at Best Buy and you can get an extended warranty for a reasonable price. Their installer was interested and asked me to come by when I finished. He thought it was a good job, but they are not allowed to do bikes at the store.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
You can also buy one of the custom inner fairing that have them in the approximate position of the top of the glove boxes. IMO if you put 6x9 in the area where the forks are on the inner fairing you'll be losing a lot of the sound. The 6.5s provide good sound in that position, and you're losing some with them, 6×9 provide even more. ...... let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses. I may try and get ahold of the cvo 5x7 speaker mounts if I can.(don't know if it is a protected part number) If not, I will just stick with the original plan of Infinity Kappa 6.5 in factory locations.(tour pack and fairing) I am putting 2-soundstream Picasso nano pn4.320d in the fairing if possible (if not they can go in the bags), pioneer 6x9 in hogtunes lids and a pair of 8" shallow midbass facing the wheels for a little added low end. I may go as far as building a small fiberglass box for the 8" but not sure yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed the J&M 7.25 fronts, with the 5.25 rear pods. 500 watt amp, all plug and play. The CVO's do have some different custom connections due to the external amp. Awesome sound, great fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
subscribed want to see how this turns out. I am going to attack it from a different angle but with same results in mind... a pair of 6x9's, 6.5's and 4x6 speakers in the inner fairing...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Focal installed?

I know that Focal speakers are incredible sounding speakers....

But who spends 1k on speakers for their bike?

What happens when they get wet?

I have the J&M 7.25 speakers in my RGC now and want to change them out for something a little nicer... The tweeters wash out at loud volume and I don't like that... I am running the HW RS300 amp on them at the moment and was thinking about adding some rear speakers to the lids.

Who makes a great sounding speaker that can handle some wet rain or washing?

Mike.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I know that Focal speakers are incredible sounding speakers....

But who spends 1k on speakers for their bike?

What happens when they get wet?

I have the J&M 7.25 speakers in my RGC now and want to change them out for something a little nicer... The tweeters wash out at loud volume and I don't like that... I am running the HW RS300 amp on them at the moment and was thinking about adding some rear speakers to the lids.

Who makes a great sounding speaker that can handle some wet rain or washing?

Mike.
My Focals, not the 1k variety but not entry, have been soaked. Work just fine bud.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I had Kappas on my 05 with a full alpine system and they really sounded great. On teh 13 I put some polks with a RF amp and a sony unit and it's not even close to what it was before. Not sure if it is gain adjustments on my amp, teh speakers, or what but I just got a set of the Biketronics 7.1"'s and will be putting them in shortly and readjusting the gains. They are supposed to have a lot more bass than most and what I have now (forgot the polk model # but they are a shallow mount) have no bass at all.

Waiting on the gauges adapters to arrive so I can put these in. I'll report back after the install.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had Kappas on my 05 with a full alpine system and they really sounded great. On teh 13 I put some polks with a RF amp and a sony unit and it's not even close to what it was before. Not sure if it is gain adjustments on my amp, teh speakers, or what but I just got a set of the Biketronics 7.1"'s and will be putting them in shortly and readjusting the gains. They are supposed to have a lot more bass than most and what I have now (forgot the polk model # but they are a shallow mount) have no bass at all.

Waiting on the gauges adapters to arrive so I can put these in. I'll report back after the install.
what gauge adapters are you getting and what size and make tweeters do u plan?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am running 2 Infinity reference 6.5 two in the stock fairing with homemade adapter plates and two in lower fairing with in cvo pods in lower fairing . the grills for the lowers needed to be modded to fit outside diameter was a little to large .

I am using the stock HK radio for time being till I can afford to get Bluetooth com system. I am using pac 35 line out convertor . And powering these with a custom made Luna amp that I had built. I have 15000 miles on the bike and about 5000 miles on this setup rain or shine and I wash the bike like I would a car , just careful to rinse the speaker area gently . and let them dry about half and hour before using them . So for no issues and looking at factory speakers compared to these don't see any thing different in their construction or the way they are sealed.

The sound quality and volume has surprised many with much more expensive systems . I am looking at some 6.5 midbass for the lowers and having another amp built for me at a latter date. And moving the lower 6.5 to the inner fairing.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
cbumdumb, I don't know which Infinity 6.5's you have, but if you have the same ones I have in my inner fairing, I know what you mean. I have the reference series shallow mounts 4 ohms, they were made a couple of years ago, (discontinued now :(), but for $70 the best speakers for the price, I'm still amazed at how good they sound.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts