Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2020 Fairing vent install experience?

Folks, @craigffb pointed out that the parts are available (see this link)
29200071 Right
29200072 Left

Curious to hear from anyone that has installed these themselves what is involved and how complicated it is.

Anyone?

Registered
29200071 Right
29200072 Left

Curious to hear from anyone that has installed these themselves what is involved and how complicated it is.

Anyone?
I haven鈥檛 installed them on a 2020 that didn鈥檛 have them to begin with, but I鈥檝e completely disassembled and reassembled everything from inside the front fairing now a few times to send inner fairings for paint. It really is quite simple. There are only two screws holding the vents in place, one on the side and one in the front.

Visualizing the process from memory you鈥檒l have to:

1) Remove the outer fairing first (one bolt on each turn signal; one bolt in each speaker compartment; two bolts on each side for the small wind deflectors; 4 screws for the windshield).

2) Remove the headlight (four bolts and unplug).

3) Presumably remove the blank tunnel that would be on each side stock (two screws).

4) Install the new tunnels with vent doors (2 screws).

That should be all there is to it. You鈥檒l be surprised that they aren鈥檛 in there very rigidly and can wiggle in the front. The headlight has a little hole that a short tab on the front of the vents goes through and the headlight sandwiches them in.

If you want me to video the process I can in a couple of weeks when I get my parts painted and reassemble the front end. It鈥檚 in a few pieces right now.

Shark of the Month October 13
Maybe I missed it .... what did you decide on for your new paint job? You showed us several possibles, which one did you choose? Or is there going to be a secret reveal coming?

Registered
Jyst did mine last night
Remove outer fairing and head light
Cut the black mesh ( powdwecoated from Home Depot $3.00)
Someone here has a odf template or make one yourself the shape of CV the vent
Fit it in the opening snugly button up that simple

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
Maybe I missed it .... what did you decide on for your new paint job? You showed us several possibles, which one did you choose? Or is there going to be a secret reveal coming?
I haven鈥檛 made a final decision on the new paint scheme yet. I have this weekend worth of wet sanding and another week of base color to decide but as of this moment these are the two leaders in my mind:

Still tinkering with designs though. I love what I have now, but don鈥檛 like it getting confused as a CVO because they are all a fade paint. I know it鈥檚 a compliment, but I want different than everyone else while still keeping it a bit simple.

Registered
I haven鈥檛 made a final decision on the new paint scheme yet. I have this weekend worth of wet sanding and another week of base color to decide but as of this moment these are the two leaders in my mind:

Still tinkering with designs though. I love what I have now, but don鈥檛 like it getting confused as a CVO because they are all a fade paint. I know it鈥檚 a compliment, but I want different than everyone else while still keeping it a bit simple.
I like this one. Both look really good but the vertical stripe on the bag looks off. I think it's because of the upwards taper to the bottom of the bag making it look strange.

Registered
I like this one. Both look really good but the vertical stripe on the bag looks off. I think it's because of the upwards taper to the bottom of the bag making it look strange.
That鈥檚 the front runner. Along with what you said, I鈥檓 also not keen on rolling that fat line across the rear fender to the other side, and don鈥檛 think it would look right to abruptly stop it at the edge of the saddlebag lids.

I scribbled the horizontal version on a couple of pictures from when the bike rolled out of the showroom to see a bit more realistic version.

Very rough mockups, but I think it hits the mark of looking custom, but not too over the top.

Registered

I'm with Crazy4ink. really like that look.

Registered
Jyst did mine last night
Remove outer fairing and head light
Cut the black mesh ( powdwecoated from Home Depot $3.00)
Someone here has a odf template or make one yourself the shape of CV the vent
Fit it in the opening snugly button up that simple

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
OP is talking about the vent doors in the upper fairing that are not included on the '20 bikes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Update?

I haven鈥檛 installed them on a 2020 that didn鈥檛 have them to begin with, but I鈥檝e completely disassembled and reassembled everything from inside the front fairing now a few times to send inner fairings for paint. It really is quite simple. There are only two screws holding the vents in place, one on the side and one in the front.

Visualizing the process from memory you鈥檒l have to:

1) Remove the outer fairing first (one bolt on each turn signal; one bolt in each speaker compartment; two bolts on each side for the small wind deflectors; 4 screws for the windshield).

2) Remove the headlight (four bolts and unplug).

3) Presumably remove the blank tunnel that would be on each side stock (two screws).

4) Install the new tunnels with vent doors (2 screws).

That should be all there is to it. You鈥檒l be surprised that they aren鈥檛 in there very rigidly and can wiggle in the front. The headlight has a little hole that a short tab on the front of the vents goes through and the headlight sandwiches them in.

If you want me to video the process I can in a couple of weeks when I get my parts painted and reassemble the front end. It鈥檚 in a few pieces right now.

Registered
Parts are all wet sanded and fully prepped for the painter. He鈥檚 spraying the base black and should be ready for me when I get back to town on the 3rd. If they are, I鈥檒l be working on the bike that weekend and should be able to create the video of installing the vents then.

Registered
2020 Fairing vent install experience?

29200071 Right
29200072 Left

Anyone?
Just installed mine today, very simple Bluejob was right on with his description, you have to loosen the right side speaker box to get the tunnel in, left side no problem. They obviously changed the electrical panel on the 2020, looks nothing like the instructions or the pictures posted here with people installing the radio shack siren.

Registered
Just installed mine today, very simple Bluejob was right on with his description, you have to loosen the right side speaker box to get the tunnel in, left side no problem. They obviously changed the electrical panel on the 2020, looks nothing like the instructions or the pictures posted here with people installing the radio shack siren.
The components that allow the new H-D Connect to work on the 2020 models have been added. Bet that鈥檚 what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts