Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OOPS I realized my title is wrong - SHOULD HAVE SAID WON'T STAY OPEN!

I went for a ride today on my 2018 RGS and noticed my right fairing vent was closed. I always leave them all open so that was odd. I pushed down the button to open it but it won't lock open - it just springs shut. Because I am OCD I can't possibly have the top one and left one open and the right one closed.

I don't have a manual yet, can anyone advise if this is an easy fix? No rush as I have already temporarily solved the problem with the universal tool - duct tape to keep it open! :grin:

It's still under warranty but I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. Like I said no rush, duct tape to the rescue LOL!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Happened to me. There's a broken thingy-ma-jigger in there. A little latch/hook if I remember correctly. Had mine fixed under extended warranty as well as a couple other things, so was only a one time payment to get it all done at once.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the same issue. I should have taken it in for warranty work but, thinking it was stuck and probably just needed to be lubed, I started taking things apart to clean and lube it up. The removal of one part lead to another and before I new it I had the whole thing apart and found a little broken plastic catch as the culprit. Well, to late for warranty at that point so I went down and purchased the little 50 cent part and put back together. Nevertheless, if you decide to do it yourself you can have it done in about a hour at a cost of about a buck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys were correct of course, I ended up leaving it at the dealer and they replaced the button assembly. I hope the other one isn't next!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info. Same issue with the side vents on my 16 RGS. I had the outer fairing off last weekend as I was finishing up the amp. I need to go back in to dial in the gain a little better. Maybe I’ll look to get those fixed while I have things opened up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
On my 16 one of the plastic tabs was broken requiring replacement of the whole mechanism. You should still be under warranty? Get the dealer to handle if so.

·
Registered
946 Posts

I went for a ride today on my 2018 RGS and noticed my right fairing vent was closed. I always leave them all open so that was odd. I pushed down the button to open it but it won't lock open - it just springs shut. Because I am OCD I can't possibly have the top one and left one open and the right one closed.

I don't have a manual yet, can anyone advise if this is an easy fix? No rush as I have already temporarily solved the problem with the universal tool - duct tape to keep it open! :grin:

It's still under warranty but I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. Like I said no rush, duct tape to the rescue LOL!
Yes, the fairing vent mechanisms are unreliable and break often. I had mine fixed multiple times under warranty. I understand there is some type of "fix" to make the mechanism more robust, but know nothing more.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
This is why they took out the vent doors on the 2020 models.
Yes, instead of fixing the problem they eliminated it, along with the heal shifter, and any thoughts of me buying a 20, at least for now. :serious:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was able to fix mine by just cleaning it. Nothing was broken (for now), but glad I know how to replace it if it does break.
It is pretty easy to take out. Take the fairing off, then remove the speaker housing, then 3 screws and a plastic pin to remove the button (don't lose the spring). After that you can split the button into 3 more pieces. Clean with water and air, depress button to see if everything moves fluently and clicks into place.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always keep mine open. But the few times I've messed with the vents on my 19 I noticed it would take a few tries to get it to stay open. So I never mess with it anymore, I realized they are cheaply put together.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always keep mine closed, installed them on my 2020 since they removed them. Very easy no need to remove speaker pods you can remove them without that just loosen the throttle side a little

·
Registered
380 Posts

I don't have a manual yet, can anyone advise if this is an easy fix? No rush as I have already temporarily solved the problem with the universal tool - duct tape to keep it open! 😁

Yeah it’s a more than cheap made plastic mechanism that is probably broken. Do the warranty thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts