Road Glide banner

Fan assisted oil cooler

10K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  HD-RG-SD 
#1 ·
I couldn't find much on this topic. I'm looking to see if anyone has installed this on their own and if it's worth it. Of course HD wants about 2 hours for install. I have lowers installed along with the 21 inch wheel so I'm wondering with the added area these take up if it would be worth the investment.

#3 ·
On my 2008 I had a jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler and pretty much never went over 245 degrees.
Just had an Ultracool 2.0 with Twin Fans on it installed a couple weeks ago, fans kick on around 200 degrees & oil temps run between 230 - 240 consistently. This is on my 2009 FLTRSE3 with a 110 motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
The dealer wanted $200 to install the fan assisted oil cooler. You can do it yourself in about thirty minutes. First I went to the dealer and had them activate it in the ECM. (Literally took two minutes, charged me $45 nearly $60 with tax. They are losing a customer) while there I bought a qt of oil. My bike is new so I didn’t replace the hoses. That eliminates the need to remove the exhaust. First remove the plastic cover there are two pins that press threw grommets at the bottom and two slots that hook at the top. (Didn’t even have to remove the Lower Fairings)then I cut the clamps loose very carefully with a dremal cutting wheel. Cut the center of the raised crimp and it pops loose stretch and remove. Second I used channel locks and a rag to work the hoses loose. You will loose almost half a qt of oil. Third I used a offset ratcheting screwdriver with a T27 screw tip to remove the mounting screws there’s only about 1-1/8 of clearance on the break side. Fourth with the hoses loose and screws out there is a T that secures the top of the cooler. Lift up wiggle a little til the T finds the slot and it will come off. Fifth plug in the electrical connecter for the fan in the mating plug that is in the center of the frame already on the bike at the bottom of where the cooler sits. Then clip the T in the slot replace the T27 mounting screws connect the hoses. Replace the trim cover. Replace the 1/2 (+-) qt of oil and your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Wow $200, they were really trying to hose you on that install. I thought about buying it online and installing it myself to save a few bucks, but my dealer only charged me ½ hour labor ($53), which is their minimum charge and I would have paid that for them to activate it. Plus, by having them provide and install, it is covered under my factory warranty which to me was worth what I would have saved.

#15 ·
i installed the ultracool reefer cooler on my bike a couple years ago. i like it. the temp never goes past 230ish on a hot day. installing it can be a little tricky but it wasn't too bad. as far as cost, i think i paid 250/300 for it online. considering the HD cooler is $300 i figured for the same price or slightly less id go with the ultracool fan assisted cooler. no regrets here. as far as price to have it installed youll probably get 5 different prices from 5 different places. if you have the ability to install it then save yourself some money and do it yourself

Reactions: till66
#16 ·
I bought the Jagg fan assisted oil cooler. I bought the first one they sold when it was first released. Marv at Jagg had to email me the instructions because they weren't printed yet. It has worked perfectly and done a great job for 7 years.

#18 ·
I plan on putting the Harley Fan Assisted Cooler on mine. Currently Boardtracker has it for $269.00 (Harley Catalog its $329.95 wtf). Also, my dealer wanted 2-3 hrs to put it on, I told them forget I'll do it myself. They said for it to be under warranty they would need to install it. I told them for what they were going to charge me for labor I could buy another one if the first one fails and still be ahead. F-ing Harley and their gouging prices. Love the product hate all the other bullsh**.

#19 ·
I hate to break it to you bro, but you’re still gonna have to take it to the dealer and pay them to activate it with their digital tech too,l otherwise it won’t work. I agree they are ripping you off on what they are charging to install it. My local dealer only charged me 30 minutes labor to install and program it which is their minimum charge.

#21 ·
When I bought my bike, I installed the fan assist oil cooler. Very easy to install. My bike has a fat tire kit and is lowered 2" and it will work with a 21" wheel. The kit doesn't stick any further out that than the non-fan oil cooler. I'm sure you could install the kit yourself and then just have a dealer flash your ECM to turn on the fan function. The needed wiring for the fan is located in that area and the kit comes pre-terminated so it will be plug and play.

#26 ·
Fan assist cooler with Chin Spoiler

Has anyone installed a fan assist cooler who also has a chin spoiler? I want to install acooler as my temps are in the high 240's traveling down th ehighway here in FL with air temp being high 70-low 80's. I figure with oil temp that high while moving it will be much higher in stop and go on a hot day 80-90 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.