Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some chrome switches for xmas and put them on the other day. Went well until i hooked the battery back up. Turned the bike on and the horn was just blasting. Quickly turned it back off. On again, no horn. And now it won't work at all. All of the other switches work properly. Horn switch itself moves as it should, just no sound. Didnt see any blown fuses, and the wiring doesnt look to be broken or pinched. Didnt really mess with the wires during the install anyways. Any ideas? Did i short something? Anybody ever have similar problem? Thanks for any help i can get!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think I would start narrowing it down by sticking a needle into each of the two wires coming out of the back of the switch assembly, then touching the two needles together completing the circuit. If the horn blows, then you have a bad switch. If it doesn’t I would next run jumper wires off the battery straight to the horn to make sure it is working. If the horn is working then I would find and test the horn relay switch. I’m guessing the problem is most likely the horn relay but who knows.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Horn I think works by grounding the relay, so a pinched wire anywhere in the switch circuit would have it honking. Check the wire bundle where the switch housing halves clamp together. Possible the relay failed by being stuck on. What year bike?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2013. Seems i'm not terribly electrical savvy. Gonna have a buddy of mine come check it out. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works now. Weird. The fuse was good. So we checked the wires at the switch and they were fine. Took the horn itself off and checked the wires. Good, but still no horn. Then he fumbled the horn, it bounced off the motor and started blaring. So not sure if something was grounded or not grounded or what. I am sure the spring in the switch was not pushing it all the way back to original position. I don't know, but after a small adjustment to the spring, it is back to normal functioning. Like i said, weird. But thanks for the replies and advice!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Electrical malfunctions can sometimes be the most frustrating and hardest to track down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts