Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy working on my bike, (2012 flrtx, 103 with Rinehart true duals, big sucker, 255 cams) is a body guy. Not really knowledgeable on the tuners.
After the stage 1 and 2 are done. He suggests the HD download for about $250.
He is in the prairies, and I live in the mountains. My present bike ('08 flhtcu) has a power commander on it, and it runs great. I asked him to put a tuner on the bike, he seems reluctant. He has never installed tuners before.
He has a buddy that will put a tuner on and dyno it, and give me a warranty $1000. (hard to get warranty work done 1700 miles away)
I don't need the dyno, so that should bring the price down.
I was hoping for an auto tuner (self diagnostic, self adjust). That I never have to adjust.
Are these available, and more importantly are they plug and play?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check out the ThunderMax. It replaces the ECU and uses wide band O2 sensors. With that stated, you will probably need to replace the sensor bungs. It is pricey though, but there ain't nothing cheap about anything anymore.

It woke up my 96ci nicely.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
See if the Power Vision by Dynojet fits your needs. You can load a map into your bike for the add ons you have or something at least close and perform basic auto tunes to have it running better and better. You Tube has plenty of video tutorials to help you learn how to perform functions, basic auto tuning sessions and whatever else you may want to know. Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The guy working on my bike, (2012 flrtx, 103 with Rinehart true duals, big sucker, 255 cams) is a body guy. Not really knowledgeable on the tuners.
After the stage 1 and 2 are done. He suggests the HD download for about $250.
He is in the prairies, and I live in the mountains. My present bike ('08 flhtcu) has a power commander on it, and it runs great. I asked him to put a tuner on the bike, he seems reluctant. He has never installed tuners before.
He has a buddy that will put a tuner on and dyno it, and give me a warranty $1000. (hard to get warranty work done 1700 miles away)
I don't need the dyno, so that should bring the price down.
I was hoping for an auto tuner (self diagnostic, self adjust). That I never have to adjust.
Are these available, and more importantly are they plug and play?
Why do you think that you don't need a dyno?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Why do you have a guy who you admit does not specialize in this kind of thing working on your bike?

Maybe you need to figure out the answer to that question before you worry about any others.... :confused:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
As far as tuners go everyone will have a different opinion and thats the same with dynotuning. Personally I wont put a thundermax on my bike because I am not replacing the ECM. Plus their support isnt the greatest and geting items under warrenty has been a nightmare. Again personal experience.

I use powercommanders and powervision tuners. Stay away from the HD download they are horriable. The price is inline with a power commander 5 with auto tune and a dyno. The purpose of the dyno is to get you as close as you can get to a good tune and then let the auto tuner take over.

Auto tune only adjusts certain amounts and you really dont want them to do much more then 8%, some people have them set up to 20% and that is just nutz and not nessary.

Now if you can get a map (i am sure you can get something that is close from the forum or from fuel moto if you buy the tuner from them) then you dont "need" a dyno session because you have something that is already close.

But a good dyno session willl help with heat, fuel eco, and power gains.. It isnt just about the horse power.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you have a guy who you admit does not specialize in this kind of thing working on your bike?

Maybe you need to figure out the answer to that question before you worry about any others.... :confused:
The guy is my brother-in-law. I completely trust him. I am glad he said he is not confident to do something, and if I really want it. It should be done right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as tuners go everyone will have a different opinion and thats the same with dynotuning. Personally I wont put a thundermax on my bike because I am not replacing the ECM. Plus their support isnt the greatest and geting items under warrenty has been a nightmare. Again personal experience.

I use powercommanders and powervision tuners. Stay away from the HD download they are horriable. The price is inline with a power commander 5 with auto tune and a dyno. The purpose of the dyno is to get you as close as you can get to a good tune and then let the auto tuner take over.

Auto tune only adjusts certain amounts and you really dont want them to do much more then 8%, some people have them set up to 20% and that is just nutz and not nessary.

Now if you can get a map (i am sure you can get something that is close from the forum or from fuel moto if you buy the tuner from them) then you dont "need" a dyno session because you have something that is already close.

But a good dyno session willl help with heat, fuel eco, and power gains.. It isnt just about the horse power.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks Deadstroke, I appreciate the info. I have been watching fuel moto for tuner prices, but just didn't know which route to go.
The fact that there is now 28.5% exchange rate in the Canadian dollar. It just might be worth my time and $ to send it out for the Dyno and tuner set up.
Also thanks for the heads up on the Thundermax. Dam there pricey

·
Registered
454 Posts

Just my 2 cents.
Amen to that.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
F%$k thundermax. That's waste. Find a good local tuner by asking around. Call that tuner and ask him what he suggests. Doing this will save you a ton of money. Don't do what I did. I wasted money on powervision with auto tune pro. (no tuners in Georgia) thundermax ( wasted 8 bills on this POS) and then I found a local tuner and asked him what to do. He advised me on the TTS and he tuned it and Man this thing runs. I couldn't be happier. I could of save $1600.00 bucks.

Don't rely on part suppliers that are not local for tuner advise.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
I wouldn't say TMax is a waste, I'm on my 2nd bike with one, and have had good results and great support, but I've also had a few modifications. If you're not going to do much to your engine, there are many cheaper ways to go. If TMax were no good I'm sure many builder's wouldn't use them, especially when installing superchargers and turbos, ijs........

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't say TMax is a waste, I'm on my 2nd bike with one, and have had good results and great support, but I've also had a few modifications. If you're not going to do much to your engine, there are many cheaper ways to go. If TMax were no good I'm sure many builder's wouldn't use them, especially when installing superchargers and turbos, ijs........

Lets just say it didn't work as I was told. I have dyno runs to prove it. I was told to install a map and just ride. I did and the bike ran but it pinged like no tomorrow. I emailed tmax for help. They got back to me pretty fast with different maps but I had the same results. I knew it could run better. I had my S&S 124 tuned and I asked the tuner to do a base line with the tmax. 103hp 110TQ. That just sucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
Lets just say it didn't work as I was told. I have dyno runs to prove it. I was told to install a map and just ride. I did and the bike ran but it pinged like no tomorrow. I emailed tmax for help. They got back to me pretty fast with different maps but I had the same results. I knew it could run better. I had my S&S 124 tuned and I asked the tuner to do a base line with the tmax. 103hp 110TQ. That just sucks.
Very possible you had a bad unit, I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it. I wouldn't settle for those numbers with a 124 from any tuner. Sorry you had a bad experience, I've had very good luck, I guess that happens with just about anything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
TMax works for me going from 4k to 14k ft.. You have to load a map and 'relearn' it a couple times in the beginning to make it custom to your bike. I was merely stating to check it out as you should know what some options are. Yea, its expensive. I dig it. And yea, I still have the OEM ECU in the garage.

However there are cheaper options and the Gents are giving great advice. 400 ways to do one thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On another note. Back when I had about 5k on the Glide I put a V&H 2-1 Pro-Comp pipe on with and a PC-V. The PCV jacked with my ECU. I tried working with Fuel-moto and HD to resolve, to which each other pointed the finger at each other. HD was claiming the usual "void warranty" dance, and FM was stating that the bike was jacked. After a couple weeks, I ripped it all out, donated the piped to the Rough Riders, and sold the PCV. Went back to OEM head and SuperTrapp slipps.

Power Commander is a great product, something just wasn't jiving with my bike. I had checked all the pins configuration etc as directed.

Some shit just don't work.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I run the Thundermax and I have no problems with it.
The T-max is a little pricey but it replaces the stock ECM and O2 sensors so you are getting a brand new ECM and not a piggy back tuner.
The main problem with people that get the T-max is they think it AUTO TUNES EVERYTHING but like all auto tune tuners it will ONLY auto tune the AFR and it will not auto tune timing.
With the T-max you choose the base map that is close to your build and then ride the bike for 30 miles to get the AFR adjusted close then if you have any pinging in the bike you can make timing adjustments to pull the pinging out. Making the timing adjustments is easy to do and I found that it is best to just make small adjustments so you don't take out to much timing.
After each timing adjustment you need a riding session because the AFR will need to make some adjustment to the timing change.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I notice you're in Creston. Talk to the guys in Cranbrook, they do excellent tuning.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
For you / your bike, I would recommend the PowerVision from FuelMoto. Easy plug n play.

FM will send it to you with a good base map, do a few autotune runs, and you're done...

If you ever want to do future mods, the PV will accommodate them without going back to a dyno.

FM is known for some of the best customer service / support in the industry.

Personally, I would never change out the ECM unless I was building a turbo or blower bike, something that I wouldn't be too far away from home.

The Short Bus is proof (to me anyway) that you don't have to have a dyno tune to have a great running bike...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts