Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I might be crazy, but hopefully someone else has experienced this and can relate.

When I put on the new bars, I opted for a set of Arlen Ness Deep Cut Comfort grips. They look terrific, and are super comfortable. Nicest pair of grips I have owned. FAR more comfortable than the pair of Kuryakyn ISO Grips I had on a previous bike. But they are much larger in diameter than my old stock rubber grips, and I am feeling disconnected from my bike because of them.

I don't know if it's solely due to their larger grip diameter, or the materials used (billet aluminum) being so different from my stock rubbers. I had no issues with my stock grips, even had no discomfort after a 620+ mile ride in one day, just wanted a nicer look to go with the new bars.

There are times, such as when I am pulling away from a light, doing walking pace maneuvers in a parking lot using my friction zone, etc where I think I am rolling on the throttle lightly, but am not really on it at all. Bike nearly stalls and I realize it, and compensate. I don't "feel" where my throttle position is anymore like I was able to before.

I was hoping that this would go away after a few rides, as I acclimated, but it still feels as numb and dead to me.

Has anyone else felt this? I now, for the 1st time EVER, have a fear of stalling my bike, and won't even go near a U-Turn situation until I resolve this. I pride myself on throttle control and careful maneuvering, so for me to shy away from a U-Turn is very embarrassing. I don't want to be one of those guys dragging their feet for 20 yards like an idiot.

Is it the diameter or the material, or both? I'd hate to go back to the ugly stockers, but I will if I have to. Maybe a set of HD custom grips will have a smaller outer diameter...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I felt a similar disconnect on my old Victory Hammer S when I took off the stock grips and put on the ISO grips. They were also much larger in outer diameter. Also on those, I always felt a little bit of play in there.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with my ISO grips......they're comfortable on the highway, but, I too am hesitant of slow speed maneuvers. Never have been before....

I'm trying to take baby steps into the world of Geezer-dom, trying to assimilate has been hard....but the taste of the Kool-aide is growing on me......:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts