Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As is my luck, I'm probably 1 in 1,000 when it comes to problems with buying things that are "right the first time", so keep your perspective when reading my story.

On July 8th I ordered a new air intake from Figure Machine USA. I liked the look of their air intakes, the design seemed solid and the price was comparable to other options I was considering. I settled on the TCFLOW-S2 classic. The air intake was shipped the same day I ordered and arrived via USPS Priority Mail 3 days later just as promised. So far so good and I'm a satisfied customer at that point...............

Unfortunately things went downhill quickly from there. Upon opening my installation kit and laying out the parts and comparing them to the parts list, I discovered that I was missing three critical components; namely the (2) breather bolts and (2) breather spacers required to mount the back plate to the FI throttle body, and (1) of the face plate screws. On Monday, July 14th I contacted FM, sent them an email, pictures and followed up with a phone call. The customer service response was prompt and helpful. My replacement parts were shipped the same day.

I decide to do a fitment assembly Monday evening while I was waiting on the missing parts. Assembly was fine until I got to the face plate. At that point I discovered that they had sent the wrong length screws to hold the face plate on. They sent 1/2" when they should have been 5/16" length screws. I also found out that there was about a 1/16" gap between the face plate and the top of the filter.

So, more pictures, emails and phone calls on Tuesday, July 15th. Again customer service response was prompt and helpful. It was suggested during the call that the correct length screws would clamp the face plate against the top of the filter and the gap would be gone. FM shipped the correct screws the same day.

Having time on my hands I figured that I would stop by Fastenal and buy the correct length screws to confirm that I could eliminate the gap. I buy the screws take them home and see if that works. The bottom of the filter snugged up better, but there was still a 1/16" gap on the top left and right hand corners of the air intake.

At this point I'm getting pretty frustrated, so I contact FM earlier today. In fairness the conversation started out going in the right direction. The FM customer service representative told me they would be willing to exchange the S2 for another model so I suggested that I would pay the difference between the two intakes and return the S2. The CM told me that return of the S2 wouldn't be necessary and they wouldn't charge me the difference between the two. Wow! Talk about customer service.

Then we hit a snag. The S3 won't fit on Rushmore models (2015 Road Glide) so I have to stick with the S2 or pick another air intake. I like the oval design so I tell the CM that I'll keep what I have, and buy another K&N filter out of my own pocket to make sure it isn't a stamping issue with the air filter frame.

I ask if they would be willing to exchange just the face plate to eliminate any possibility that the face plate I have right now isn't convex or warped. I was told that there isn't any likelihood that my current face plate is defective and that it might be a problem with the filter. Then the CM drops this bomb on me;

"I feel like you're trying to take advantage of me by asking for a new face plate". And then an extended explanation from him about why he felt that way. What? I'm thinking you originally offered to send me a whole new air intake and now my request for a face plate exchange is taking advantage of you? He was even willing to exchange the K&N filter, so I don't understand why asking to exchange the face plate caused such heartburn or made him accuse me of trying to "take advantage of him" or being "too particular". His words, not mine verbatim.

So at this point I'm 2 weeks into an air intake swap and my bike is still sitting in the shop. I'm an extra $60 in the hole for the new K&N filter that I just ordered (eliminating that as a cause for the gap) plus some pocket change for the test screws that I bought. All this without any assurances that the gap is going to disappear once I try the new air filter.

The CM tells me to take some photos after final installation and if there is still a problem they will make it right. While I appreciate that, I don't appreciate the multiple screws ups on the installation kit and certainly don't appreciate being accused of trying to take advantage of them or being too particular. Despite the issues with my particular order, the air intake itself is a nice looking piece of hardware. It's just a shame that it will have taken me the better part of two weeks to get it installed.

Before my phone call with them today I would have readily recommended their products (even considering the miss-steps), but after the conclusion of our conversation earlier I'm saying YMMV and at your own peril. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Here are some pics to illustrate my issues;

IMAG0082

IMAG0081

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Sorry to hear your plight with these guys. I have purchased quite a few parts from them for another bike I have and had zero issues. I'm sure this was a huge learning curve from them as well.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update on my saga.............

The remainder of the corrected and missing parts arrived last Thursday and Friday as promised by FM.

I also went ahead and bought a new K&N filter to see if that had any effect on the final assembly fit and finish.

Lo and behold - using the new filter the gap between the face plate and air filter is gone.

I finished the assembly and installation Friday afternoon, flashed a new ECM map using my FP3 and everything is now in order.

Looks great and I'm finally happy. It did take the better part of two weeks to get everything lined out, but hey at least it's finished :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.