Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight while doing some upgrades to my bike I saw something odd about my belt. A tooth was missing. Then as I looked further several teeth were missing. And there's a crack about a quarter of the way through.
It's a 2011 road glide ultra CVO. With air kit, and SE tuner.
Only have 16k miles on it.
So two questions. Why is it already breaking apart and can I replace it myself? Any special tools needed?
I'm pretty self sufficient usually but this looks like a pile of work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
10,995 Posts
You most likely picked up a rock or some other road debris , very unusual for that at 16000 for certain .. Be sure and check your pulleys as well .. I have gone close to 100k before missing any teeth on the belt ..

It is a job , but you can do it . Have to gut and remove the primary and swing arm ..

One incentive to do it , is most dealers will hit you for close to a grand to change it

JtB

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do dealers really charge $ 1,000 to change the rear belt? Wow!!!

Is there a real good DIY video on how to change the rear belt?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yep, it's expensive in terms of labor hours. It involves removing the outer and inner primary covers plus all that crap that's inside of it or yes, removal of the swingarm plus all that crap that's attached to it.

Two things I hate about H-D's thought process on these touring bikes is the damn belt and the location of the stupid oil filter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is a job, but should only take you a few hours. I have done a few in my time. Since this is your first, give your self at least a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and maybe both days since once you tear into it, you may find something else. And for sure check your pulleys. I did a friends Fatboy and found his tranny pulley cracking around the hub section. First time I saw that. Anyway, also make sure you have a shop manual, it will walk you through the process and for sure save you on giving a grip of cash to the dealer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same thing happened to with me on my 2011. I had around 16k. Got back from a long haul and noticed every 4th or so tooth was damaged.

Dealer warranted the job. They even stated I probably picked up a rock.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So tonight while doing some upgrades to my bike I saw something odd about my belt. A tooth was missing. Then as I looked further several teeth were missing. And there's a crack about a quarter of the way through.
It's a 2011 road glide ultra CVO. With air kit, and SE tuner.
Only have 16k miles on it.
So two questions. Why is it already breaking apart and can I replace it myself? Any special tools needed?
I'm pretty self sufficient usually but this looks like a pile of work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Not hard just time consuming. Speciality tools: a primary locking bar will be needed either bought or made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Thanks Guys,

Anyone know what the belt part number is?

number of teeth and width for a 2011 Road glide Ultra CVO?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like you statement or saying. Good luck on your belt change.

I Choose to live by choice, not chance; to make changes, not excuses;to be motivated, not manipulated;to be useful, not used;to excel, not compete;I choose self esteem, not self pity;I choose to listen to my inner voice, and not the random opionions of others.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Belt

I just had to replace my rear shift arm on my bike because of too much play, you may want to inspect this part when you change the belt. I didn't have to replace my belt mine looked good. The reason you have to replace the belt so soon is the way you drive makes a big difference, burnouts, fast launch at a stop will eat up the belt. This was my first time removing the inner and outer primmary wasn't too bad but watch a video on Youtube first, and get the manual for the bike this will help. Check all of your seals on the inner primmary too, you don't want to redo this job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 08 had its first belt replaced at 102k miles. I was going to cost me $1000 I just about crapped my pants. then as they tore into it they noticed that one tooth was off the clutch. That's when I found out how lucky I was to spent the 1800 on the extended warranty. I got a new clutch, sprockets, belt and labor for under 700. By the time the extended ran out I had received over 5k in repairs and parts. My second belt went at 150k I took to a local shop in Dundee Orygun and it cost me 900. My next belt I will do since have have purchased all the special tools needed for the job

1 - 11 of 11 Posts