Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing to replace belt after mine broke in the driveway.
Seeing a lot and ranging from 140-230$
What is the best for the price?

Thank you to all!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I just replaced mine with just shy of 60k miles on it. It still looked good but I didn't want to chance it with the new motor. I used a belt from JP Cycles. It's made by Gates. It was about $150ish. My local dealer wanted $300 for a HD replacement

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Harley belts easily go beyond a 100 , luck of the draw with that tho' , any rocks or road debri can make short life of any belt .. Never used any other belt myself .. Best I got was 150 on my 88 Tour Glide and it ran out of adjustment and had several teeth gone .. Have a new one on the shelf , when I change this back tire at around 85000 , it will go on then ..

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
HD factory belt is as good as it gets. No common to replace one. Find the reason first so you don't destroy what ever you go with. Factory belts go an easy 80K to 100K

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 60k on my ‘92’ Ultra and didn’t know if a python belt or some after market will last longer then stock....

What about DIY: is there anything tricky or speacialty tools I’ll need? Has anyone done it then self? HD wants 800$ to do it, I said F that I know I can do it!! I just never have, HD said it would take 4hrs for them??!??

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you are replacing the sprockets, the front sprocket requires and very deep socket to get to the nut. I picked up a socket for that job on eBay for $45. Other then that regular tools are all that is needed.

04 Road Glide

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
you have to pull the primary completely , the rear tire and swing arm , I have done it a couple times , it's a PITA , but do it if you are half way mechanically inclined ..

·
Banned
72 Posts
4 hrs..isnt bad i never did one myself but i know what it takes.Lotta chit to take apart,and that compensator sprocket nut is got sum serious ass torque on it,you better have a nice heavy duty breaker bar.But if you can do it yourself dig into it i like fixing my own shit, even if it means breaking something once in awhile been there done that and probably will do it again LOL good luck
Mike

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I replaced the rear belt twice on my Sturgis, its a big job, but if you have a service manual, its not bad.
Especially the second time around....LOL
I broke the belts when I was a lot younger with a lot of burnouts and liberal amounts of nitrous

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2012 went through two stock 103" engines and 2 transmissions on the original clutch and drive belt in 135,000 miles over 4.5 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts