Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 tour glide classic 85th anniversary edition model, contacted Harley and found out of the 800 or so made that year only 50 of these 85ths were pumped out for the tour glide. Really happy and glad to finally own another EVO, I have a 1988 springer Softail same edition but California model so only 132 of those fxsts produced. On to a 85th edition fxr next once I can find one. Want to own all the 85th models I can I think there awesome and these 1340 evos are just immaculate engines.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Love that color scheme. Congrats

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
And with the classic primered saddlebag lid (because they always blew off) too!

I converted my 82 back in the day, and my current 81 to the police style hinged with lock knobs. Because I got tired of losing them. Makes them real easy to get in and out of while going down the road too.

Reactions: Road dawg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And with the classic primered saddlebag lid (because they always blew off) too!

I converted my 82 back in the day, and my current 81 to the police style hinged with lock knobs. Because I got tired of losing them. Makes them real easy to get in and out of while going down the road too.
That's exactly what the guy I got her from said the lid flew right off, are those hinge style lids your speaking of similar to he road king saddlebag lids?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Beautiful ride, how many miles on it ? Remember, Evo’s have their issues also, weak cases, sumping over winter, but their great rides, wish I still had my 90, put 156k on it, was an excellent bike. Enjoy !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful ride, how many miles on it ? Remember, Evo’s have their issues also, weak cases, sumping over winter, but their great rides, wish I still had my 90, put 156k on it, was an excellent bike. Enjoy !!
There's only 36k ish on her not bad for the evo not bad at all, will most likely bore the cylinders out over 1 then put 10:1 compression pistons in it and most likely will put a different carb on it aswell. And will probably upgrade the heads to go with he pistons and cylinders, at least that's what I'm doing to my 1988 springer Softail evo, along with a kit starter conversion for the Softail, I'm absolutely in love with these Evo engines and will gladly put many many more miles on this bike

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's exactly what the guy I got her from said the lid flew right off, are those hinge style lids your speaking of similar to he road king saddlebag lids?
You use the same lids you have now, just add the hinges and latches off an 80's police model. The cop bikes used the same hardware up until around 2016 so it's still available from a dealer for about $200.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is just a random pic off the internet, but it show the setup I'm referring to on an 80's police model:
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

This shows the hinges in the original factory placement - Don't do that. The factory figured out much later that it was better to put the hinges farther apart (like 2-3 inches farther), to prevent binding, cracking, etc. If you look at the pick of my black shovel in your other thread on this topic, you'll see how much wider they should be spaced.

Reactions: FLTRXS20

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Nice

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Congrats on the Tour Glide. That’s really good looking find in what looks like great shape.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Nice looking bike. Welcome from Florida

1 - 20 of 20 Posts