Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Im finally doing it. Heres the rundown of what I have planned

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit
vtwin audio install kit with splash cover
Hawgwired 6.5 adapters
2 Soundstream 520D amps
Speakers in fairing(6.5), lower fairings(6.5), Hogtunes speaker lids(6x9), and tour pak pods with adapters (6.5)

Totaling 8 speakers. What should I do for speakers?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh HELL! Here we go again! :rolleyes::cool::D

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Deciding factor would be the budget. Whats your budget for 8 speakers.
EXACTLY! Here's my opinion on the matter.

1. Do you like your music? Like REALLY REALLY like to ROCK out?

2. Are you a guy who wants the best gear available and isn't one to compromise?

If you answer with an emphatic YES, then get the good stuff. IF you can't afford the good stuff, save your pennies until you can. Hertz and Focal have been suggested already. I own both systems. I have a buddy with an 8-speaker JL Audio system on his custom and would put the JL Audio product as a 3rd choice.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is gonna get expensive then. Was actually looking at Infinities or polks. But I havent ruled out hertz. Which hertz speakers in particular?

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is gonna get expensive then. Was actually looking at Infinities or polks. But I havent ruled out hertz. Which hertz speakers in particular?
I have the Hertz HCX 690.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here one of my buddies custom. He has all JL Audio.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My other pal's custom. He runs ALL Focal.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Are the hertz really worth the price?
YES! You don't need 8 speakers with them. Buy the HSK 165XL's for the front and the HCX 690 for the rear. The fronts run one speaker per channel and bridge the rear to the 6x9s. The tweeters for the front can either be mounted in the Gauge holes or directly into Hawgwired grills.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey, Idireprophil,
how does the Focal setup sound? Quality? that's what I'm doing at the end of the month? did he use 6x9s or 7x10s?
He has 6X9. He's used Focals on his other bike so he is just partial to Focal is all. He has a JL Audio HD600/4 I think whereas I have the Alpine PDX-F6. Me and these 2 bikes ride together all the time and they ALL sound killer. Does one sound "better" than the other? It's negligible. I personally think, (and not just because it's my system), that my setup sounds "cleaner" and louder at the top of the volume range. If it were the other way around I'd say so. But honestly, as long as you go with quality stuff in your audio build, whether you go Hertz, Focal, JL Audio, etc your going to have a banging system.

·
Registered
286 Posts
He has 6X9. He's used Focals on his other bike so he is just partial to Focal is all. He has a JL Audio HD600/4 I think whereas I have the Alpine PDX-F6. Me and these 2 bikes ride together all the time and they ALL sound killer. Does one sound "better" than the other? It's negligible. I personally think, (and not just because it's my system), that my setup sounds "cleaner" and louder at the top of the volume range. If it were the other way around I'd say so. But honestly, as long as you go with quality stuff in your audio build, whether you go Hertz, Focal, JL Audio, etc your going to have a banging system.

Cool....thx for the update...I'm doing 2x 6.5 in front and most likely 6x9 in bags with JL 400/4 amp in fairing as well.....listened to the setup today and like it a lot. All Focals of course...

·
Registered
587 Posts
YES! You don't need 8 speakers with them. Buy the HSK 165XL's for the front and the HCX 690 for the rear. The fronts run one speaker per channel and bridge the rear to the 6x9s. The tweeters for the front can either be mounted in the Gauge holes or directly into Hawgwired grills.

I couldn't agree more. I have the exact speaker combo. Thought about doing the "Double Up" lids and running (4) HCX 690 initially. but would it sound better? Louder? Maybe, just maybe but I'd bet only a little. I use my bags and they are heavy enough with the one pair of 6x9's. Could I have more BASS sitting still? Sure, I could put some 12" bass speakers in each bag either facing in or facing out. But I don't park my bike and crank it up. Others could give a rats ass what I'm listening too. You can even get a tourpak full of speakers these days.

For me, my goal was to be able to stick my pinky nail sized 65gb flash drive with over 14,000 songs into my head unit and be able to hear it at 90+ mph.

Mission accomplished :cool::D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Cool....thx for the update...I'm doing 2x 6.5 in front and most likely 6x9 in bags with JL 400/4 amp in fairing as well.....listened to the setup today and like it a lot. All Focals of course...
You'll be happy and able to hold your own at a bike week! :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I get what your saying. One amp to run the front 4 speakers, and bridge the second amp to 2 channels to 6x9s in the lids. What's left to run the tour pack speakers? It is detachable as well. I leave it on through the winter riding months, the detach in the summer unless 2 up or on a trip.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 45 Posts