Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I understand the "scavenging effect" is what the 2:1 offers, giving some increase torque at lower RPM's but Duals that combine do the same thing plus get your better performance on the highway (@higer RPM's). Whats the draw? Has anyone here dynoed their rides? 2k seems like a lot to spend on exhaust without knowing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Holy cow that's a lot of data. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Reading all this, the way I understand it is, you have a 2 in 1 exhaust set up but in order to make it look balanced you need to add a empty (fake) exhaust to the left side. Is this correct?
That is correct. Some can argue about the power if you want but this isnt going to turn into a which exhaust is better thread. I chose the 2into1 and my bike runs strong with the 2into1. Some prefer dual exhaust so to each their own.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
How much of a HP jump does this offer based on a stock engine?
It offers an increase in low end torque that you will feel in the throttle, peak hp & tq numbers that a dyno shows, you will not see much. Thats why dyno numbers are misleading.
On my TC stock 103, with a Reinhart 2>1 pipe, my friends stock 107 M8 couldn't beat it if I got the jump. If she took the hit first, I was at her back tire to triple digits.
But I would never recommend a Reinhart 2.1 because of poor fit and it ended up rusting

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Oh, and 1 other thing. Every engine builder that wants to showcase their ability to build an M8 powerhouse, uses a D&D Billet pipe......there must be a reason

·
Registered
102 Posts
It offers an increase in low end torque that you will feel in the throttle, peak hp & tq numbers that a dyno shows, you will not see much. Thats why dyno numbers are misleading.
On my TC stock 103, with a Reinhart 2>1 pipe, my friends stock 107 M8 couldn't beat it if I got the jump. If she took the hit first, I was at her back tire to triple digits.
But I would never recommend a Reinhart 2.1 because of poor fit and it ended up rusting
Good to know. I had Rinehart 2:1 installed 6 years ago w/ no fitment or rust issues.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Good to know. I had Rinehart 2:1 installed 6 years ago w/ no fitment or rust issues.
Here you can see the surface rust starting, funny as nothing else had rust on it, not even the Reinhart supplied heat shields.
The first pipe wouldn't clear the clear the rear brake linkage to the brake master cylinder. Had to clearance it with a socket and a ball peen hammer. I would understand having to do that with a $125.00 Chinese copy, but from Reinhart?
When I called, ofcourse they never heard of that issue. When I called again about the poor design, they agreed to send another pipe, but this one came with a floorboard spacer. Apparently, they changed the fitment and moved the pipe out a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here you can see the surface rust starting, funny as nothing else had rust on it, not even the Reinhart supplied heat shields.
The first pipe wouldn't clear the clear the rear brake linkage to the brake master cylinder. Had to clearance it with a socket and a ball peen hammer. I would understand having to do that with a $125.00 Chinese copy, but from Reinhart?
When I called, ofcourse they never heard of that issue. When I called again about the poor design, they agreed to send another pipe, but this one came with a floorboard spacer. Apparently, they changed the fitment and moved the pipe out a bit.
View attachment 425485
This is really interesting to me because I have a Reinhart 2 > 1 on my 110 Slim - and I am starting to see those spots. Honestly I thought it was just from heat. Well that is a bummer because the exhaust sounds badass. Guess there is no way to stop it.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is really interesting to me because I have a Reinhart 2 > 1 on my 110 Slim - and I am starting to see those spots. Honestly I thought it was just from heat. Well that is a bummer because the exhaust sounds badass. Guess there is no way to stop it.
Get them powder coated

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
This is really interesting to me because I have a Reinhart 2 > 1 on my 110 Slim - and I am starting to see those spots. Honestly I thought it was just from heat. Well that is a bummer because the exhaust sounds badass. Guess there is no way to stop it.,
I sanded down the muffler and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum black bbq paint, and it held up really well. The problem was it didn't match the heat shields, and the bbq paint just wouldn't hold up to the heat (?) on the shields. They would peel and bubble up in a short time. Maybe my prep sucked or whatever, but that was my experience

·
Registered
260 Posts
I sanded down the muffler and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum black bbq paint, and it held up really well. The problem was it didn't match the heat shields, and the bbq paint just wouldn't hold up to the heat (?) on the shields. They would peel and bubble up in a short time. Maybe my prep sucked or whatever, but that was my experience
Powder coating may be the ticket, I'll look around and see what has worked for others. Thanks and sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So the Ebay auction ended sunday evening for the ghost pipe and I paid for it immediately afterwards as I always do. I figured that because of the size of the box that it might take a little time for me to get it but this evening while at work my cameras at the house notified me that someone was there. Low and behold it was the ups delivery driver. Looks like i got something to do this weekend since my girlfriend will out of town for the week 😉

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
So the Ebay auction ended sunday evening for the ghost pipe and I paid for it immediately afterwards as I always do. I figured that because of the size of the box that it might take a little time for me to get it but this evening while at work my cameras at the house notified me that someone was there. Low and behold it was the ups delivery driver. Looks like i got something to do this weekend since my girlfriend will out of town for the week 😉
Congrats Rob!
Don't forget the pics Bro.
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I got out of work last night at 1am. I got home and was thinking, welp, if its gonna be nice out on Friday I may just call the boss and play hooky.... again. Low and behold it was gorgeous out lol. I got out of bed and low and behold, it was gorgeous out lol. I put the bike on the lift and opened the box the pipe was shipped in. Much to my surprise the pipe looked be brand new. It was used but it couldn't have been used long because there was not one single scratch, ding, dent, scuff or fingerprint on it. The install was pretty straightforward but at first I was a little concerned about the pipe fitting because I have the Progressive touring stabilizer on it and the instructions for that said the stabilizer could not be used with the stock cross under exhaust. I held the ghost pipe in place and fortunately because it does not connect to the exhaust pipe it fits perfectly. It took about 15 minutes to mount it and tighten the bolts. I will say that even though it is a useless pipe as far as function it does complete the look. I am glad I was able to find the pipe for half the price not have to pay full price for it. @Mike U I'm not good with picture's so this is all I got lol. I dont know why but the left pipe,even with the stock exhaust on, I could never center the muffler in the hole. This is the best I could get this on too. I dont care though because it still looks better with something there to fill the empty space.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
That’s a great deal you got there. Looks way better IMO.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Way to go Rob!
Looks much better now.
Only other suggestion would have been to get another left side saddlebag without a cutout and a new single sided fender extension but that would have been way more costly than the ghost pipe was.
So in the long run, you just knocked it out of the park Bro.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I’m interested to see how it mounts under the bike. Does it have a better clamp to hold it still?
Edit- Looks like a General Gmax under there too.
Yes on the General G-Max lol.

The faux muffler and the cross under pipe mounts in the same location as the stock cross under pipe mounts. The D&D has a welded tab on it so the stock clamp doesn't get used. The tab bolts directly to the transmission in the same location as the stock clamp bracket. The end of the pipe is welded closed.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts