Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone on here posting about Hwy 43 around Bloomington/Spencer Indiana and having thought I should ride it sometime. Well Friday night the wife and I hop on the bike after a particularly rough week at work for the both of us. I'm not going to whine because they are rare for the both of us and I am very grateful and thankful we have the jobs we have, even more so for the salaries. I've worked a lot harder for a lot less money when I was younger. Anyway we went down to Bloomington from the southside of Indy to stop by the dealer to get an oil filter since I was due for a change, and by the Pep Boys to get oil (30% off thank you very much when you order online). We decided to take the scenic way home, through Spencer and Mooresville to avoid road construction. Now I know a little bit about Bloomington, having been around it my whole life but mainly just passing through and going to the campus for games and stuff. The wife went to IU, but we avoid stories from that times in our lives for obvious reasons, she went to college, I was in the Corps, we didn't know each other and pasts are best left there. Anyway she said let's go out this way, I think I remember it was a cool road. We found ourselves on 48 headed west and it runs into 43. I said, I think this runs up close to Spencer, road signs confirmed it did and I thought to myself, we will eventually run into a road I am familiar with so what the hell. Well let me tell you I found a new road I am going to ride frequently when I go to Bloomington, can't wait to continue further south from where I hopped on it to ride north. Beautiful winding road with elevation changes, good pavement. Only was on it for about a half hour, but it was the best half hour of the night. Made it to Spencer and eventually Mooresville for a late dinner feeling relaxed and reinvigorated for the weekend. For my fellow Central and Southern Indiana riders, if you haven't stumbled on this stretch of road it is worth it, wish I could remember who posted about it here. For those of you who do know it, is it just as nice headed further south from 48?

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
We were just riding those roads Saturday! Small world huh?...lol
Went to Hinkles for burgers. DELISH!!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had a hinkles burger but I have added it to my list if you recommend it Tracy.

I do want to know if you take a picture of every meal or just the ones when you are riding?

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Hinkles has been there since the 30's I believe. There is another Hinkles in Madison, In but I believe they arent related. The one in Madison has mini cheeseburgers similar to these and very tasty.

Frankie and I love to cook and more importantly, eat! Food that Frankie & I cook and food that we get at restaurants that we deem worthy typically gets photographed. Probably 90% of my friends on Facebook are riders so Im always posting those 'Must Ride To' places. We ride every weekend and seek out those mom & pop, hole in the wall places. Eat to ride, ride to eat!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
48 to 43 is the way we headed out to Moonshine a couple weeks back. Only we went south on 43 to 54. Yeah you need to get back down and ride the whole thing, south of 48 is great too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I use to travel several of those Southern Indiana roads myself before I relocated to the Left Coast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The road is better going south from 48 to 54. I ride it about 2 or 3 times a year.
I pick up 54 north of Bedford, then 48 all the way to Spencer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live on 43 and ride and drive that road everyday back and forth to Spencer (usually starting at 5:30 AM). The rest of 43 I think is better then the stretch that you rode. Another good one down by us that I like is 450 that runs from Bedford down through Williams. If you liked 43 you should love 450. So Bleachy if you ever want to take a ride down this way and have the day to burn let me know.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sure you're not thinking of Shipley's in Madison?

One of our favorite roads in that part of the world is IN 56 between Madison and Aurora, along the Ohio River.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Shipley's is such a great little hole in the wall.
We stop down there anytime we are in Madison.
Love the burgers there:smile:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been to Madison many times. We usually hit this little BBQ place right on the river that is good, now I have a couple new places to try. 56 is awesome. 421 south to Frankfort KY is incredible as well. So many roads, so little time!!!!!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the ride!
Rode in Indiana a lot but mostly northern Indiana along lake Michigan shoreline. I did ride in southern Indiana once along the Ohio river and it was some nice back road riding.
Most of the rest of Indiana is pretty boring roads for MC riding, mostly straight and flat with corn fields on all sides

1 - 15 of 15 Posts