Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my Transmission oil for the first time after the dealer first service, 4000 miles on the bike now. The drained fluid had what looked like diluted gold metalflake paint on the bottom of the pan with lots of brass fines, almost too small to see without a magnifying glass. What in the transmission is made of Brass? (I'm assuming that is what the gold metal is). There was barely anything on the drain plug magnet, and no chips or shavings at all, just fine filings. Should I be concerned? What could be causing this?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Are you sure it was brass? Brass or aluminum is not magnetic so there shouldn't be any on the drain plug magnet, If you still have the old oil run a magnet around it and see if it picks anything up.
The gears and gear shafts along with the bearings are steel and the shavings should stick to your magnet.
Ride the bike for 500 miles and change the trans fluid again and check the oil for metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is NOT magnetic, and it is gold in color, not silver. Where is brass used inside the transmission. I know it is common on synchro rings in car tranny's, but ours is constant mesh. Is brass used on the shift forks as a wear surface, or are there any brass bushings used?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did you change the Primary fluid at the same time and drain into the same pan? If so, it is probably wear off the primary chain tensioner shoe. I had the same thing in my fluid but it came out of the primary, not the tranny. When I looked at what appeared to be brass with a magnifying glass, I saw that it would break apart when squeezed. It was the hard plastic on the primary tensioner shoe and it looks like brass.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I had that same thing on my 07 never was an issue but at 65,000 a bearing did fail in it. They warrantied it.
Never had any in the 2011 or the 13.
You are right it sure looked like brass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts