Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was nervous doing this, thinking I would end up taking the forks to the dealer to finish. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Next to changing the seat this was the easiest thing I have done on the bike. The exhaust was much more difficult. I did buy a fork clamp and a seal driver, even buying these I saved $350 from the dealer quote. I borrowed an impact to loosen the 12mm bolt in the bottom of the fork. I strongly encourage anyone who is thinking they can't do this to give it a try before taking it to the dealer. That is always an option if you get stuck. I utilized you tube and forum posts to guide me, much more helpful than the service manual. When I finished I thought to myself, "shit, that was easy". Would have taken about three hours if it weren't for the beer.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
That's awesome, nicely done! I hope you have a great feeling of accomplishment. Now get some snow tires on that glide and get us a ride report.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Snow Tyres

Where can I get a pair of the snow tires mentioned; we have 6 inches to a foot coming overnight here in Niagara.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Can't wait to hear your review. Talked to Legend on the phone they are charging 200 to do the install
at rallys or at their shop in Sturgis. Glad to hear it was not a hard job to do. Time to do some looking online for a deal!!!!!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Morningwood, Did you install standard height or -1 height? Did you by chance measure to see
actual height. I would like a little lower but not too much. Almost feel a little weird messaging
someone named morningwood but what the hell!!!!!

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Morningwood, Almost feel a little weird messaging
someone named morningwood but what the hell!!!!!
Just don't message him in the morning. You should be ok. :grin:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good stuff. I just received my standard height tubes last week and since I have 3 years left on my warranty, I was just going to let HD do it, but MAN! I would love to burn that money on something else. My issue was always space, but I may have the space this year. I was concerned about messing up my warranty.

I guess I also have a big advantage: I have black powdercoated forks that I picked up for $200 a few months ago, so I'm thinking I can pre load the tubes in them and get them all ready to go, pop off the old ones and slip the new ones on.

I'm pretty good at figuring mechanical stuff out, I've just never done anything with the front end or wheels. I have a buddy that's a car mechanic and he has an old shovelhead, so I can probably get him to give me a hand.

What did the fork clamp and seal driver run you, Morningwood?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't have any problems. The hardest part was unplugging the Guage cluster. Factory 47 has a handlebar video that shows it clearly. I got the Jims clamp and I think it was the motion pro 49mm driver.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way this is the first time I have ever touched forks. In my dirt bike days my brother was the bike mechanic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice. I saw Jim's tool when I looked it up and since I have a '12, I believe I need the 41mm seal driver. I'm going to get my stuff together and pre build the forks.

Thanks for the bump in confidence tackling this. I see you're over in Woodstock, if I get stuck, I'm gonna look for you! I take my ride to Woodstock Harley for any and all service. Great svc. dept there.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Nice. I saw Jim's tool when I looked it up and since I have a '12, I believe I need the 41mm seal driver. I'm going to get my stuff together and pre build the forks.

Thanks for the bump in confidence tackling this. I see you're over in Woodstock, if I get stuck, I'm gonna look for you! I take my ride to Woodstock Harley for any and all service. Great svc. dept there.
save the money on a seal driver. I used a 2" PVC pipe, beveled the end slightly and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the pvc works, but the drivers are tapered to only impact on the rubber portion of the seal, for 30-40 bucks I just ordered the driver. Woodstock HD is the dealer that quoted me $479. Feel free to ask any questions, I may only be of assistance for the rushmore RG, but I will try. My forks had springs in both legs, I am of the understanding that the 41mm may only have on set of springs and one dampener. If so you may have to split a fork to install the new centering cup. If this is not the case you may get away without a fork clamp and definitely without the driver. I used an impact for the bottom fork bolt and my caps spun off easily just by holding the fork tube. I only used the clamp to torque the legend cartridge cap.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks the same on both sides for the 2012's from the fork diagram on the HD site.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Interested to hear your thoughts on the ride and handling of the axeo including your preload settings. I have a set on order to install with some powdercoat I had done.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It will be awhile, just snowed and there is enough salt on the road to season all of the food in China. I will ride when it is cold, but I won't with all of the salt on the road. I did take the advice of someone on the forum and set the preload on the light side. I will let everyone know how this worked out soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts