Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed upgrading my 2015 RGS with the Screamin Eagle Stage V Tire Shredder kit. The results are dramatic! 117 HP and 121 Torque. This is with the following:

V&H High Output Pipes
V&H Power Dual Header
Stage V Kit - Heads, 110 jugs & pistons, 58mm Throttle body, High flow injectors, SE259 cams
High flow 58mm air cleaner kit
SE Tuner & Power Commander V Tuner (not necessary to use both, but my tuner wanted to use both to get the best results).
Tuned by 2 Wheel DynoWorks in Woodinville, WA

I did all the work myself and I'm not a pro mechanic. Just took my time and bought the right tools and a service manual. Plenty of videos on You Tube. It's doable if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude.

This thing absolutely ROCKS! Can't believe how much performance it gives.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Reactions: mpwalsh

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's a great feeling of self satisfaction when you do the wrenching yourself. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just completed upgrading my 2015 RGS with the Screamin Eagle Stage V Tire Shredder kit. The results are dramatic! 117 HP and 121 Torque. This is with the following:

V&H High Output Pipes
V&H Power Dual Header
Stage V Kit - Heads, 110 jugs & pistons, 58mm Throttle body, High flow injectors, SE259 cams
High flow 58mm air cleaner kit
SE Tuner & Power Commander V Tuner (not necessary to use both, but my tuner wanted to use both to get the best results).
Tuned by 2 Wheel DynoWorks in Woodinville, WA

I did all the work myself and I'm not a pro mechanic. Just took my time and bought the right tools and a service manual. Plenty of videos on You Tube. It's doable if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude.

This thing absolutely ROCKS! Can't believe how much performance it gives.
Nice brother!
I am putting out 119.04hp/119.60tq with a V&H Preppie and RSG 58mm Turbine air cleaner. Well worth the cost, a little less gas milage but the bike has the pull and speed it deserves.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Congrats, and I agree there is satisfaction in doing the work yourself. As you say these things are not hard to work on if you can follow the service manual. The torque comes on later than I would like based on your chart, but as long as you are happy that is what matters. The torque curve is a product of that cam and I doubt HD gives you a cam choice with the kit.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Congrats, and I agree there is satisfaction in doing the work yourself. As you say these things are not hard to work on if you can follow the service manual. The torque comes on later than I would like based on your chart, but as long as you are happy that is what matters. The torque curve is a product of that cam and I doubt HD gives you a cam choice with the kit.
I second that! Nothing like putting that bike on your own lift, stepping back and saying, well....here we go. Then when you put that key in and turn the switch and it fires up with a sound that you are not familiar with. Not a bad sound, but a badass sound. Great work man!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I agree! The kit comes with the SE 259E cam and that cam has the torque curve a little too much towards the top end with the max torque in the 4000 to 4500 rpm range which is not the rpm area that is the most useful. Switching to a different cam and moving the torque down closer to the 3000 rpm range is much more useful.
Congratulations on doing the work yourself! The bike is putting out nice numbers you should be happy with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That brings up a good question. Has anyone tried this kit with different cams?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That brings up a good question. Has anyone tried this kit with different cams?
Beat me to it. Any reason why you stayed with the 259 instead of A57 or TM555?

Reactions: mpwalsh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already had the SE Tuner from my Stage 1. He wanted to use it to get the SE Stage V map as a starting point, then fine tune with the Power Commander V. He could have done it all with the SE Tuner, but the PC5 gave him some more control and flexibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought about using a different cam...and still might. I've heard good things about the TW777 Wood cam. I decided to stick with the kit in order to avoid unintended pairing issues going with something different.

The one thing I'll say is that this torque curve makes it feel pretty stock at low RPM's in the parking lot, etc. Then when you need the power it launches. With that said, I'll probably still explore a different cam set at some point.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I already had the SE Tuner from my Stage 1. He wanted to use it to get the SE Stage V map as a starting point, then fine tune with the Power Commander V. He could have done it all with the SE Tuner, but the PC5 gave him some more control and flexibility.
Not hating here at all and I'm sure your Tech did a fine job tuning that way however, if you have the SE Race Tuner there is nothing the PC5 can do that it can't unless... The reason that it might is that he just knows the PC5 software way better and feels more comfortable using it. If you had the SE Street tuner then yes, the PC5 would offer more control to fine tune things. The only reason that I am posting this is that some readers may not realize there are 2 different SE Tuners. The SE software does have a high learning curve and that is why many do not like to use it outside the dealership. Not because they can't learn it but because there are other tuners that are simpler to use. I have heard that the latest SE Software has improved and is way better than the previous versions though. Ride safe! :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not hating here at all and I'm sure your Tech did a fine job tuning that way however, if you have the SE Race Tuner there is nothing the PC5 can do that it can't unless... The reason that it might is that he just knows the PC5 software way better and feels more comfortable using it... Ride safe! :grin:

You are completely right. The tech told me the same thing. He said he could tune it with the SE tuner, and I have the Pro. He didn't push me to buy the PC5, but he recommends the PC5 to whomever he talks to about getting their bike tuned by him (my buddies). So I just told him I would buy one. That's when he said he'd use both. But to your point, it wasn't necessary. I just figured I'd give him the tool he liked the best...and I think he's most comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts