Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so no epic rides yet but, I did put about 140mi on the clock in 24 hours.

Coming from a liter bike (CBR954) that weighs less than 1/2 of the RG, I surprised at how quickly I've acclimated to the weight and bulk of the RG...that includes kicking it backward and to the right onto a crushed stone driveway.

The funniest part of it all is the reaction of my eldest son and his wife, both "dyed in the wall" Harley fans. They're shopping for Christmas already.

Having a ball!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL. That will happen. Just a little perspective. That minuscule mileage is Rhode Island, end to end. (tomorrows trip)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Best of luck with your new ride!

You will find that the longer you have it and the more comfortable you become, the longer and longer your rides will start getting. It's kind of funny how that works. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. Just about to finish the first 500mi break in today.
Still getting used to the weight and size of the bike. My other/regular ride is a CBR954 that weighs less than half of the RG.
Pulling into a loose stone parking lot at an eatery in Northeast Connecticut was a bit of a chore. I'm finding out that it's best to have an "exit strategy" for situations like that, since backing the bike is impossible in loose stone.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the club!

Although I had owned very large/heavy bikes before (Gold Wing) I came from a 500 lb BMW to my first RGC. Talk about weight shock! But you're right, it quickly became 'smaller and lighter' feeling and now I don't notice at all!

My son picked up a Ducati 620 Monster this year and when I jumped on it and took it for a spin it was like riding a toy! (But a wicked fun toy...) I wouldn't mind owning a second bike for around town solo fun riding. I'd love to get another BMW as I love the Boxer engine. That new little Nine-T is a looker and I'll be is wicked fun... hmm....

Btw, I'm pretty sure the saying is 'Dyed in the wool'...

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wife and I recently returned from a 1800 mile trip over to York and back. The way over we tried to go south of some very heavy rains in Indiana, still managed to get drenched and not to mention the crosswinds. Typically the 13 RGU isn't affected but we were on the chicken threads and they were humming, with no shelter to be had. Then up and over , down and around, the Appalachians with some good curvies thrown in. The Roadie took a lot mother nature threw at us and never balked. The more miles you put on the more you will like your Road Glide.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
I've had my Road Glide for over three years now. I've got just over 44K on it, but I know what you mean about coming from a lighter bike. My 1962 Ironhead Chopper is barely 350 lbs. It's a bit of Culture shock when I jump from one bike to the other.

You will find that you will love it. As others have stated, it is much more stable in crosswinds and bad weather. Also, it is more comfortable on the open road since it doesn't 'bounce' as much on the cracks in the road. The weight is a major factor there.

Parking you will have to get used to. Plan your stop so you can just pull out, not have to back out. If there is any hill at all, point the nose so you don't have to back up the hill.

It's all experience and will get better over time as you get used to the bike.

ENJOY IT!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.