Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an '03 RG (In Oct. of last year) from a friend of mines Uncle. He purchased it new, and while under warranty, all service was done by Harley.
After the warranty he did the service himself.
His entire family are "car/bike/boat/ATV" people. I trust them ENTIRELY...
AFTER the purchase we have talked and he said he continued to use the Harley SYN 3 for all services.
The bike had JUST UNDER 27k when I took ownership.. And it had JUST HAD ALL FLUIDS CHANGED (before the new owner took possession)
I have put 5k miles on it and wanted to do a fluid change.
I bought all the fluids and parts from the dealer and upon starting the job, I noticed the amount of fluid that I drained from the primary case is MORE THAN 32 ounces as the service manual calls for...
My question is this... Should I Follow the manual, or put the amount back in, that came out?

I do all services (that I have knowledge of, and tools to do) myself.
I've never done a service on a bike so this is "new to me"

I have a truck with over 300k miles on it that I've serviced since I took ownership with 28k miles on it..
I'm not scared to do it... Or learn it...
I just like to "dot all my I's and cross all of my T's "

Also... The part/gasket I got for the clutch inspection cover LOOKS NOTHING, like what came off..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The bike should be upright not on the kickstand when doing the primary fluid change. Just add what is in the service manual not what you drain out. Just as long as the primary fluid reaches the bottom of the clutch basket you will be alright. If you don't have a service manual it would be a good investment.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
As far as the gasket they change the gasket a few yrs ago,so when you go to the dealer for a replacement you will get the upgraded one.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've been told many times by many indies - 38 oz. I have even had HD mechanics tell me 38oz.. I put 38oz. in my Primary.
I had an 09 Roadking with the 96 - when I changed the primary fluid for the first time (post dealer and indies changes) it had 47oz. My seal between the crankcase and the primary was craked and leaking into my primary. Oh and Yes, on that RK I had added oil several times when it was getting low, between the oil changed,... That should have been my first clue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the gasket they change the gasket a few yrs ago,so when you go to the dealer for a replacement you will get the upgraded one.
It looks NOTHING AT ALL like what is on there now...
What they gave me.. Looks like a flattened out/inverted o-ring... Part # 17369-06
What's on there now...
Is a saucer shaped solid gasket
Part #25416-99C

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Use the one that came off the primary, on the sidestand put the 32 in, cut the funnel end on a 60 degree rest it on the the pressure plate pour slow, make the drain is in near flush, tighten back up as you would lugs on your truck just not so tight

this is the way been doing the fluids on my 03 for over 80K, ask away, that is the correct amount stock, neatly, wrap teflon tape neatly @ the plug

get the right oil filter wrench, it has a open gap so you don't rip the sending unit out, or use channelocks to remove, every ting is the same as you work on others, do the tranny if fluid is dirty or scum from wtr, follow the manual, I only do it about every 20k or more on glide or king

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It did say 380z, could be cause 110? likely year
No difference for 110 or Year (as far as the Vid was showing a 2012). Go to - do it yourself thread - how to service your road glide. Good info to confirm the 38 oz vs 32 (shop manual).
Here is a portion, --->
REQUIRED FLUIDS, PARTS, SUPPLIES, AND ACCESSORIES:
- 4 QT Motor Oil (most bikes take 3-3 1/2 qts) - I used Syn3 in all three holes... In mine it took 3 1/2 qts for the engine oil fill. I just got two cases of Syn3 Oil - Part No. 99824-03.00QT
- If you are not using Syn3 in all three holes, then you will need 3qts - Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant - Part No. 99851-051 QT
--- You will use 1 1/2 qt in the transmission
--- 38 Oz in the Primary. DO NOT OVERFILL! Measure the 38oz for the primary, don't be lazy on that step
- Harley Davidson Oil Filter - In my case Part No. 63798-99A
- 2 Spark Plugs - In my case Part No. 32362-04 (6R12) - Proper gap measurement is 0.038-0.043 in. and check them, don't assume they come with the gap set from HD

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well..
I've done as much "research" and asked questions...
I put in WAY LESS, than what came out.. (but that doesn't mean, what came out was correct)
All three fluids, were different in color so I'm confident nothing is "bleeding" into another location. I took it around the neighborhood and got it up to operating temp.
No Leaks! (yay me)
I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right since this is the largest DOLLAR AMOUNT...
MOTORCYCLE, I've ever purchased...
Maint. Doesn't scare me.. But I'm not above saying I'm Ignorant, of Service on a Harley...
Never done it..
Doesn't mean I'm stupid...

I'm Also Ignorant of the launch sequence to get the space shuttle into orbit...

Just Sayin'

I'd like to thank EVERYONE for your help and input..
Greatly Appreciated!

Jay

·
Registered
206 Posts
It looks NOTHING AT ALL like what is on there now...
What they gave me.. Looks like a flattened out/inverted o-ring... Part # 17369-06
What's on there now...
Is a saucer shaped solid gasket
Part #25416-99C

I believe 17369-06 is the original type gasket, I changed to 25416-99C when I added an accessory cover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts