Road Glide banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2011 RGU
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is going to be long winded, not really sorry because I am floating on cloud fucking 9.

Spring of 2001. The wife and I sign the contract to build/purchase our 1st house. We meet our new neighbors, Dan and Amanda, really nice couple about the age of our parents. Dan is a former jarhead like myself, he is a retired police officer and Amanda is a deputy sheriff. We move in May of that year. Dan rolls out his motorcycle, a 2000 Honda Shadow. Something about the bike just grabs me, fell in love with the looks of it immediately. Black and chrome, saddlebags, windshield, just the perfect looking cruiser in my mind. I wasn't a biker at this point, too much going on with young kids, still trying to finish college while working full time, etc. I can't remember exactly when, maybe that summer or the next Dan bought a new Honda 1300 VTX and Amanda took over the shadow. For several years they would ride those things almost every weekend, and take an annual trip to the mountains or up through Michigan.

We really became close to them over the years, they were basically like surrogate parents to us. Always willing to lend a hand with a project or advise, even stepped up a couple times financially when we got in a little jam. As the years went by they aged, so we began helping them do more around there house. I would always tell them that if I ever started riding I wanted to buy the shadow. Amanda swore she would never get rid of it and actually told me to quit asking because it hurt her feelings, so I did. After the boys grew up and we were in a position I bought an old Honda Magna that Dan went with with and gave his endorsement too, and riding was everything I thought it would be. Rode it for a year, great bike, but not comfortable for 2 not small people like the wife and I. Bought a Batwing the next year, rode it for 3 years and then bought the RGU in 2014. Dan was my riding mentor, and we would ride often with he and Amanda. I have never seen anyone ride as smooth and in control as Amanda on that Shadow. She would set up every curve perfectly, stay in formation like she was tethered to the bike in front of her with steel guides. As the years went by she started riding less and less, the heat would get to her, and she started having trouble seeing. Dan bought himself a street glide, but Amanda would not give up her shadow even though Dan offered to buy her whatever Harley she wanted. Some of the early Patti's crowd might remember they came with us one year.

Well 2 years ago when we decided it was time to move back down to the farm to take care of family the hardest part wasn't selling the house we lived in for 19 years and raised the boys in, it was leaving Dan and Amanda. You just don't meet people like them too often in life. Dan and I would hang out in the garages fixing or doing maintenance on the bikes, watching a game or just Bullshitting, while Angie and Amanda would sit on the porch and smoke cigarettes and talk for hours. We have kept in touch and had dinner whenever we are within an hour or so of each other.

Well Amanda texted me earlier today and said she had decided she was done riding at 77. She just didn't feel safe. She asked if I was still interested in the bike. I said I was sad she was at that point, but was still interested and what she wanted for it. She said Danny had talked to a couple people and thought this was the price range, but would sell to me for about half that. I about shit myself. After several texts back and forth making sure none of her grandkids were interested, and trying to convince her I did not want to take advantage, she told me to shut up and say yes. She is basically giving me the damn thing.

How many guys get to buy their "first motorcycle love". Not just the same model, but the actual fucking bike???? I have been thinking about trying to find a 2nd bike to just mess around on when I am solo and just want a short ride and this falls in my lap. A one owner bike that I know has been meticulously maintained and cared for? It is bittersweet because I can only imagine the sadness Amanda must feel reaching this decision, but absolutely ecstatic that I have the opportunity. I know it isn't a Harley, and probably isn't considered cool or badass by too many people, but I love this bike. And those Honda 1100 engines are damn near indestructible when properly cared for. As soon as I get up there this weekend I will post pics. The last text I sent her was she will always know where it is if the bug to ride again ever hits her.

· Registered
2011 RGU
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool , was thinking they were the ones that came with you to Patti's , the year we ate at the hole in the wall Pizza joint ??

JtB
No, I think it might have been the 2nd year Angie and I came and we only did a one night stay. We met y'all at the tshirt place there in Grand Rivers when it was still open then we all ate and were staying at different hotels. I also think that was the year y'all went on the cornfield tour.

· Registered
2011 RGU
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amazing feel good story. At first i thought i was watching the hallmark channel lolo!!

It will be a constant reminder of the days living by them and them in general when they, eventually, pass away. Its worth more in memories than the price you pay for it. The memories are priceless. Even if you never ride it....
Oh it will be ridden, and cared for lovingly!!
Well done Churchill.......Congrats - Pics soon please
I pick it up tomorrow evening, gonna meet for dinner and then hang out and hopefully make it home before the sun goes down. If not the wife will be the lead blocker for the deer in her Pilot. Will definitely post pics. Danny called me today and said he was giving it his final wipedown for me. Knowing him he spent about 4 hours detailing the darn thing.

· Registered
2011 RGU
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So picked it up and brought her home. Took some pics before I headed out. Thought I could beat the sunset but didn't, there was some traffic and I just had to take the scenic route instead of the slab.......

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Smile
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Sky

It has been 3 or 4 years since I have been on any bike other than my RGU. Almost forgot how nimble and fun smaller cruisers can be. Did a little fishtail pulling out of the gas station when I hit it a little hard while I was still leaning. My foot is a little sore from not having the heal shifter that I am used to, but it was a fun as hell 120 or so miles home. Will probably take me an hour to get all the bugs off the windshield!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts