Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Going to an oil change in the next month or two. The bike has about 8k on it right now. I rode maybe 1500 miles so far. Want to do an oil change by end of June/July time frame. The bike is a 15 RGS. What type of oil do you recommend I use for all three holes to keep the bike running cooler and at high performance? Money isn't a thing so I can buy whatever oil that is best for these? I do want to stay away from the Harley brands as I don't believe in their products, same as Honda oil for my other CBR1000, i believe bike companies over price these drastically and products like Mobile 1, Amsoil, Rotella T6 and Redline etc. are far superior products

·
Registered
435 Posts
You went and done it, the can of worms is officially open. I personally use Amsoil v-twin in the engine and their primary and transmission oil. I mainly do this because I get it at a pretty good price from a friend. I believe any quality synthetic is fine. You will get as many opinions here as there are oil's on the market. As far as the same oil for all three holes, I don't do it and the only reason is that it doesn't seem right to me. I have no scientific proof to validate that however. No matter what oil you use change it at the recommended intervals, it is pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have used this oil, MOTOREX from a swiss company, it's top quality motor-oil made specifcally for big air-cooled V-twins.
This oil performs well even at 150C or 302F and the flashpoint is well above 200C or 392F, so I would say that even if riding in extreme conditions this oil performs well!

A lot of people recommend synthetic oil but I rather go with a high quality mineral-based oil and change it every year or after 5000 miles. JMO

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got to do my first Service 1K,Useing HD Pimary/Transmision In Trans.,An Primary,Mobil 1 20/50 VTwin oil in Eng.An I got a [email protected] Oil Filter its got the Nut on the End.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thus far I've used the Redline kit that Bruce suggested. Next time I need to change my oil, I am going to try the Amsoil just to say I did. I probably won't notice a different.

I run the Mobil1 in my wife's 1200 Sporty and it loves it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dont stress out

It sounds like you are new to the HD game. A great time to learn the #1 lesson.

Never... I mean Never... Bring up the Oil Debate !

If you change your oil/filter every 4,000 miles and Tranny oil once a year... and you dont tinker with the engine... just ride the experience... you will have "ZERO" issues.

Just go to the Dealer... Buy the HD Dino 20W/50 and the Formula... plus their cheap black filters... The less you think about it... the better your riding will be.

Its not the Oil you use so much as how regular you change it. The oils of today are far better than a few decades ago.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What type of oil do you recommend I use for all three holes to keep the bike running cooler and at high performance?
Well, since you asked...:grin:

I'm religious about the black liquid gold that put into my 2016 RGU. Riding 128 miles every day to commute to work and in all weather, I've tried a lot. Mobile 1, AMS Oil, Lucas, Royal Purple and what I found works for me is Bel Ray V-Twin 10w50. I ride all year round so this is a great year round oil, especially in cold weather for those really cold starts (we're talking 30 degrees in the garage and 3 degrees outside).

I do all my own wrenching, so I will go into the cam chest, primary, and rocker boxes to check condition.

For me though, it's more than just the oil. I also use the K&P oil filter, its a bit expensive of an investment up front, but in my opinion well worth with. Plus let's you see if you have issues long before it becomes a real issue (instead of cutting into an oil filter).

I also us Dimple Plug for all 3 holes and don't use the stock plugs. They really capture metal debris that is ultra ultra fine that may get through the filter. I also change my oil every 5,000 miles, which is about every 3 months.

I put Bel Ray transmission oil into the tranny and Bel Ray Primary Oil in the primary. I change the Primary and Tranny every 10,000 miles even though Harley says 20,000 for tranny.

Finally, in the crank I use the Arch Oil Friction Modifier with the Bel Ray. All I can say is that my engine has been through some weird shit and the Bel Ray and Arch Oil has done a great job protecting it!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Guys,

Money isn't a thing so I can buy whatever oil that is best for these? I do want to stay away from the Harley brands as I don't believe in their products,
actually, if you look at some used oil analyses, hd oil is just fine. and saving money and good oil do not have to be mutually exclusive.

for my cvo, i use: (i do the same for the wife's rgc, just illustrating that even on the 'expensive' bike, i have enough confidence in my choices)

engine oil: mobil 1 15w50 $25 for a 5 qt jug
primary: shell rotella t 15w-40 $15 for gal jug
tranny: walmart supertech full synthetic 75W-90 $5 qt.

i change the engine and primary every 5k, go with the mfg recommended 20k on the tranny.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My approach is that I’m protecting my investment in a $27k+ machine, so I want the best protection that I can get. I’ve used AMSOIL Products in everything I’ve owned for nearly 40 years, my scooters are no different. I run AMSOIL MCV 20W-50 V-Twin Engine oil along with an EaOM134 Oil Filter, MVP Primary Fluid and MVT V-Twin Transmission Fluid in mine; in my former 2008 Heritage, I ran the MCV 20W-50 V-Twin Engine oil in all 3 holes with no issues.

I change all of the fluids once a year whether they need it or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
After seeing this thread I decided on tackling my own oil change. Received my Amsoil kit yesterday so will get started on the weekend. I'm assuming I will need some gaskets and potential o-rings from the dealer? Can anyone pipe in if I need other items. I have motor oil, primary oil and transmission oil and oil filter that I got from Amsoil. Thanks

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Mobil 1 MC oil 20w50
Mobil 1 10w40 primary
Royal purple 75/140 tranny.

You will have to get a derby cover gasket from the dealer. It comes with 3 O rings.

Swore I'd never post on an oil thread. I guess I'm bored.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
After seeing this thread I decided on tackling my own oil change. Received my Amsoil kit yesterday so will get started on the weekend. I'm assuming I will need some gaskets and potential o-rings from the dealer? Can anyone pipe in if I need other items. I have motor oil, primary oil and transmission oil and oil filter that I got from Amsoil. Thanks
Gasket kit comes with three O rings. I think it's about $10.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks Geo... went to the stealer and got all my goodies... nice $16 up here in Canada for derby cover gasket and 3 o-rings... haha.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Mobil 1 MC oil 20w50
Mobil 1 10w40 primary
Royal purple 75/140 tranny.
You will have to get a derby cover gasket from the dealer. It comes with 3 O rings.
Hey Geo, I'm one of those guys that usually changes the derby cover gasket whenever I pull the cover. But it's not absolutely necessary, especially if you have a newer bike with the rubber gasket that sits down inside the locating ring. Those gaskets can be used over and over. I've got some cheap riding buddies who do it all too often.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts