Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did It. My first DIY on the glide. I did my 5k oil change with only 1 issue. When I picked up the oil and equipment the dealer didn't tell me I needed a special filter wrench (my filter pliers wouldn't work). So i picked up an adapter from Advanced and got it done in less than an hour (including the trip to the store).

I may get crazy and try the transmission and primary as well at 10k.

May have the nerve to do handlebars by spring.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Trans and Primary are no big deal, either. Handle bars take a bit of time, but there's a post HERE that walks you through it. Made my install very easy.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
You did the hard part. The other two holes are the easy ones. No mess at least I always make a mess of taking the filter off. :)
Just make sure your bikes straight up when doing the primary fluid change.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Get a Coffee-Mate jug, cut the end off, put the filter wrench in, put the ratch in small side, place jug and filter wrench on filter, loosen, let oil drip, remove, minimal clean up - cost $3.75 for Coffee-Mate. Drink coffee when finished.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Get a Coffee-Mate jug, cut the end off, put the filter wrench in, put the ratch in small side, place jug and filter wrench on filter, loosen, let oil drip, remove, minimal clean up - cost $3.75 for Coffee-Mate. Drink coffee when finished.

Thats a good ideal. Does it catch all the oil ? I just finished a jug to.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Pretty much catches all the oil if you are careful about pulling the filter into the bottle. Then pull the ratchet out, put the cap on and lift out. Some oil will still leak from the filter housing but a few paper towels placed under the filter first will clean that up. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please tell me you had the oil changed before 5k. I change my oil out @250,1000,2500,5000 on a new bike.
I had the dealer change it the first time at 1k but unless this chunks up metal more than my Honda did I don't see any reason to change it earlier than 5k intervals. We will see how the oil looks over time but there was very little grit attached to the magnetic drain plug.

This is my first Harley but by far not my first bike and I had no problems with 5k oil changes on any of the others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts