Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Looking for suggestions on a multiple state run in early spring. I am one year into riding - started on a 2019 FXBB, and in August '21 traded it in for a 2020 Road Glide Special. Kicking myself for not starting on a RG.

I am looking to start from Austin or Houston, TX and over 3-4 days make my way through East Texas into Biolxi MS for the first day. Tallahassee the second day, and Cleawater FL on the Third day.

Any suggestions / feedback for a relatively new rider is greatly appreciated! What are essentials, routes, etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Routes are subjective.Do you want to make time or take it easy?Lots of good information on motorcycle travel essentials on YouTube, especially for 1st.timers.You can buy a travel atlas and map out different routes to your liking. Good luck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went from El Paso to Biloxi and a short side trip to Pensacola in 2020. When you cross into Louisiana, in Lake Charles, stop at the HD dealer, oldest in LouisIan’s. Keep going to Lafayette. There take hwy 90 to the Tabasco factory, very cool place. Go back to 90 and ride that Mississippi, great ride along the gulf. At Bay St. Louis take a pit stop at the Blind Tiger bar and grill. Then back on 90 to Biloxi.

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
Looks like an awesome road trip. You might want to be more specific about what info you. You’ve got the right bike for the trip. Being it’s your 1st trip I’d say take some 300 mile day rides to prepare yourself if you haven’t already. That 1st day you’ve planned will be a long one. I like the idea of making the 1st day the longest. However riding close to 600 miles is a long day if you’re not use to it. It’ll be important to get a sunrise start on that first morning. It also will take longer with the additional of other bikes, especially if your significant others are going.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Howdy,

Looking for suggestions on a multiple state run in early spring. I am one year into riding - started on a 2019 FXBB, and in August '21 traded it in for a 2020 Road Glide Special. Kicking myself for not starting on a RG.

I am looking to start from Austin or Houston, TX and over 3-4 days make my way through East Texas into Biolxi MS for the first day. Tallahassee the second day, and Cleawater FL on the Third day.

Any suggestions / feedback for a relatively new rider is greatly appreciated! What are essentials, routes, etc.
Welcome. This is the route I would take from Biloxi, MS to Tallahassee. If you like experiences, this route has you taking a small barge ferry across Mobile Bay, Runs you along the white sugar sand beach between Pensacola and Navarre Beach, Crosses the Mid-Bay Bridge from Destin, FL to Niceville, FL, and runs along the north side of the Choctawhatchee Bay on your way to Tallahassee.

Some of what you might see. The road between Pensacola and Navarre Beaches.
Cloud Sky Automotive tire Ecoregion Motor vehicle

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

North side of Choctahatchee Bay.
Water Sky Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Plant Sky Land vehicle Wheel

The ferry across Mobile Bay. You can visit the historic forts on each side.
Wheel Tire Water Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Welcome, very good info already stated. As noted, ensure you have your rain gear handy at all times. That is the start of the rainy season in FL. It may rain for a few, an hour or so or not at all.

Good luck on your trip

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
For scenery and route @twowheeladdict is going to be a go to here. One thing I would mention as a lesson learned. Aside from your normal foul weather gear mentioned earlier. Prepare for 10 degrees colder. I use sun sleeves as opposed to sun block. No need to re apply etc. If it get hot pour water on them and use have a cooling sleeve.

Time wise add 15-20 minutes to every hour on the road that a map tells you. You will use this at fuel stops, meals etc. This will help you understand arrival times. This being your first trip take it easy, you will get there. Comfort and seating posture is something you will learn about on this trip.. If you are taking anti inflammatory stuff. Take it early. If something gets irritated you are going to be late with meds on board.

I don't stop at every HD dealership, as a matter of fact I rarely go to any dealerships without a purpose. Takes time and I think there is too much other things to see and enjoy.

Under ware and shirts as much as needed. Pants can be worn multiple times. Also check for laundry at hotels, just bring your pods.

CAUTION: When riding thru La The Covington Mandeville area can be eye opening. Slow down pick a lane and be patient.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Howdy,

The route you are taking is historically Republic of West Florida.
When Spain owned the Gulf of Mexico States, that area extended to Lake Pontchartrain Louisiana.
When the Florida Republics incorporated into the United States, both MS and AL had no seaports.
This is where Mobile and Biloxi departed West Florida. They notched off seaports for those two States.

The r-e-d-n-e-c-k Riviera or LA (Lower Alabama) area or Destin and Fort Walton beaches offer Blue Angels Air Shows as they practice from Naval Air Station Pensacola.

Forts abound in Florida. Below Ft Walton are Ft White, Ft Myers, Ft Lauderdale, Ft Meade - all of these were involved in the Indian Wars that were not US Army ventures.
The Florida Settlement Act ended the Indian Wars by granting land to immigrant families willing to fight it. My wife's family were settlers here that fought in that war. Ft Blount was so named for her folks.
The end results - the above Forts could receive provisions without the wagons being raided.
Flagler built a railway and Northerners began traveling here in winter months in the same trains that delivered their citrus.

Keep history in mind - Florida has a lot of it.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
@louisiana rgl, sometimes my routes are out of the way and the photos help entice people to why I ride those roads. LOL!

@KyleCuenco, it looks like your route will take you through Lake Charles, LA. If you like, or want to try some Cajun food, Steamboat Bills is conveniently located right off I-10. SteamBoat Bill's Seafood Restaurant
When I went through there the first time I had to order everything on the menu that was new to me.
Shirt Customer Leisure T-shirt Fun

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Table

What we have here is
  • Stuffed Shrimp
  • Catfish
  • Stuffed Crab
  • Medium Shrimp
  • French Fries
  • Cole Slaw
  • Louisiana Roll
  • Crawfish Etouffeé
  • Boudin Balls
  • Shrimp Pistolette
  • Crawfish Pistolette

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Rain gear, Extra FOB, Insurance papers and Registration and ride have fun.
Born and raised all over FL left have only been back a couple times in almost 50 years. Was back last long time ago.
riding to Palm Coast FL in May.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Rain gear, Extra FOB, Insurance papers and Registration and ride have fun.
Born and raised all over FL left have only been back a couple times in almost 50 years. Was back last long time ago.
riding to Palm Coast FL in May.
You carry two FOBs on your person?

You mentioning that does remind me to tell @KyleCuenco to set the pin number on the security so you can start and use the bike if the FOB batter dies, or you lose the FOB.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Looks like an awesome road trip. You might want to be more specific about what info you. You’ve got the right bike for the trip. Being it’s your 1st trip I’d say take some 300 mile day rides to prepare yourself if you haven’t already. That 1st day you’ve planned will be a long one. I like the idea of making the 1st day the longest. However riding close to 600 miles is a long day if you’re not use to it. It’ll be important to get a sunrise start on that first morning. It also will take longer with the additional of other bikes, especially if your significant others are going.
as an aside, the sun rises in the east so you are going to be riding straight into it for quite a while. riding one handed while using your other hand to shield your eyes for miles on end can get quite old very quickly.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
You carry two FOBs on your person?

You mentioning that does remind me to tell @KyleCuenco to set the pin number on the security so you can start and use the bike if the FOB batter dies, or you lose the FOB.
I have one wife has one. Putting one in a bag with battery out is also an option. It has never been an issue for us but just a safe guard having it.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
as an aside, the sun rises in the east so you are going to be riding straight into it for quite a while. riding one handed while using our other hand to shield your eyes for miles on end can get quite old very quickly.
Here I am riding east out of El Paso. Photo taken at border patrol check point. Just accentuated my southern accent and they let me through. Polarized sunglasses and drop down sunshield.
Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
442 Posts
Best kept secrets in Florida...
The Edison Ford Estate in Ft Myers.
A hundred years ago Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had adjoining property that is now a museum of sorts.
Edison was older than Ford and was his mentor. One year, Edison electrified a Model T and parked it in his shed. When Ford arrived later, Edison took him for a DC powered tour of downtown. The message was - you might as well build electric cars, they're quieter, don't smoke, and people will eventually have greater access to electricity than gasoline.

Ford drove down one year on what is now US 41 AKA the Tamiami Trail. He stopped to help a stranded motorist. The repair finished, the motorist tried to pay Ford. He declined the cash. When asked if he was some kind of rich guy he responded, "Well, sort of." The guy then replied - "If you're rich, what the hell are you doing driving a Ford?"

Anyway, the industrial powerhouses shared many ideas at Edison's personal research lab. Somebody down there loved Avocados. The property has dozens of trees and time your visit right, you might leave with all you can carry. Guacamole City.
You might like it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts