Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I did it. Deposit down on a Wicked Red 2019 Road Glide. It’s been a lifetime dream to own a Harley, and it’s about to be a reality.

This is my first really heavy bike and I have some nerves with the weight, but the only solution is to get on her and log miles.

Excited and openly cautious is how I’m approaching this new experience. I took a riders safety course to just bone up on safe riding and the basics again.

Any tips for the first 1k miles and beyond would be appreciated.

Looking forward to leaning on the wisdom of veteran road gliders in the future.

Scott

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure from your post if you have not ridden much or rider with first "heavy bike"? I rode off road when I was a kid. Did not get on another bike until 20 years later. I bought a Yamaha Roadliner cruiser. I was so nervous, I had them deliver it to me so I did not do something stupid like drop it at the dealership. I took the course to refresh my skills and then it was a few days riding around the block, then a couple streets down and back. A few exercises in a parking lot to reinforce what I knew and I was off. Road riding was definitely different than dirt... a lot more idiots to deal with. After a time you will just get more and more comfortable. After nearly 20 years back aboard,it is pretty much like life. You think you got a handle on it and then you realize you don't know everything. Keeps you on your toes so you are safe. Welcome to the "tank". Enjoy the hell out of that new beast and once you are on her, it will fall into place. There is not a lack of advice on this site for sure....:grin:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Congrats and welcome from the farm fields of central Indiana!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the tank. I'd advise taking it a bit slow, not too slow and it's more about technique over brute strength. If you have good technique, that should help you along. The bike is well balanced and forgiving but it is very heavy to pick up. Good luck and again, welcome to the shark club/tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the Tank from SE Wisconsin. Like others have said, take it easy. Don't put yourself into any difficult situations. If you start to ride with others, let them know that this a new bike for you and that you don't want to go crazy on it. Have fun and get as much riding time as you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not my first bike. I’m coming from a 600 pounder. Loaded up...this new bike is about 300-350 pounds heavier.

I plan on taking a day and working on slow speed handling in a huge parking lot. Then the only riding with anyone would be a buddy of mine...so only 1 other person.

Appreciate the help going forward !

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not my first bike. I’m coming from a 600 pounder. Loaded up...this new bike is about 300-350 pounds heavier.

I plan on taking a day and working on slow speed handling in a huge parking lot. Then the only riding with anyone would be a buddy of mine...so only 1 other person.

Appreciate the help going forward !
biggest difference i ran into was not using the front brake in slow moving maneuvers. bike wants to keep going (over)

other than that maintain good balance and make sure of your footing. loose gravel or slick pavement can be tricky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome and congratulations from W.V.
ScottC, I was in the same boat as you exactly a year ago. Took the MSF course and only had a Gold Wing that following summer. That was about twelve years ago. Last year I purchased a '17 FLTRU and the weight was somewhat intimidating. With frequent parking lot practice and guidance from Kevin, the host of McRider I have been getting more comfortable in my ability to operate this bike. You my brother will be able to do the same. Look up McRider, watch some of his videos and hit that parking lot. Good luck !

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,948 Posts
You've already received some terrific riding tips so I'll go in a slightly different direction with my response. My advice is to ride the hell out of it as soon as your comfortable with it. Ride it on a long day trip or a multi-day trip where you rack up some mileage before you start buying parts to "make the bike your own". Ride it long enough that you now know what parts of the bike don't work for you ergonomically - then start to look for mods that will make it easier and more fun to ride. Way too often on here I see folks like yourself who go out and buy handlebars, a new seat, new floorboards, etc. in an attempt to 'make their bikes their own', before they've even had a chance to know what's going to work for them, and what's not. Have some patience and buy things that make the bike more pleasurable to ride only after you've put some mileage on her and know what needs to change for you to be most comfortable on the bike. Good luck my friend, we've all been where you are now and we're all confident you absolutely love this bike once you get it dialed in. I should also mention that most HD dealerships have a program where they'll let you try any of their seats for a day or two at no cost. Good way to help you figure out which seat is best for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes with your new ride.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts