Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
'16 Road Glide Ultra, 110" Tire Shredder, V&H Power Duals w/ Hi-Outputs, For now.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first road trip (besides riding it home from Chicago where I bought it) was to Glacier National Park up in Montana. A couple friends, one couple from Ft. Worth, the other from Peace River Alberta, met me here in Denver and left on July 8th. 1st stop was gonna be Vernal, Utah, but we discovered that my friend from Texas had a rear tire that wasn't gonna make the trip, so we detoured to Rock Springs, Wyoming after lunch in Steamboat Springs. In his defense, he was sick with the 'Rona the week before the trip and didn't get a chance to give his CVO batwing a good going over. No biggie, the folks at Flaming Gorge HD took good care of him, got us a discount at a nice local hotel and it we were able to pick up the planned route easily. Besides, the bartender was hot.
Table Bottle Alcoholic beverage Barware Drink

Next stop was Idaho Falls, Idaho via 191, 89 and 26. Some beautiful country through here.
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Natural landscape

The famous Idaho Falls, which is across the street from the BW we stayed in.
Cloud Water Sky Plant Tree

Then on to Hamilton, Idaho via 20 and 93.
Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

Cloud Sky Plant Water resources Water

The next morning we left for Kalispell via 93.
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Got to Kalispell early afternoon. It is bigger than I expected. Busier than Hell during the day, but you can play football on the 6 lane wide main drags after 7 P.M. Crazy. We stayed in a really nice Super 8. It was actually better than some bigger name hotels I've stayed at.
Getting into GNP is like buying concert tickets; Log in to the site at 8 A.M. and submit your request for tix until you get them or denied. Struck out the first day. So we rode up to, Libby, Yaak, Rexford and Eureka then back down to Kalispell.
The road to Yaak from Libby is not much more than a paved fire road. Very narrow, plenty of deer and beautiful country.
Water Cloud Sky Plant Mountain

Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

I gotta tell ya, Ya have to wanna go there to get there. Very out of the way. Then on to Eureka via the Koocanusa Bridge.
Eureka is 7 miles from the Canadian border.
Wednesday, We got tix to the Park!!! Stunning beauty. Very dramatic.
Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Water Mountain Sky Plant Cloud

To be continued.

Registered
鈥22 Road Glide Special
Awesome write up bro! I鈥檝e got a trip in late September I鈥檝e got planned and am literally counting down the days. Reading your post got me even more excited 馃嵒

Registered
Some of the nicest scenery. Hope you made it over the "Highway to the Sun"! Wife and I done it by car, now want to do it on the RGS. Looking forward to the "To be continued"! Great pictures! I live in the pacific NW and enjoy it. Really do want to get Midwest and east and see some roads and country. Thanks for sharing. 馃榿 馃榿

Registered
When did they start doing the ticket thing? Been up there a couple times and rode right up to the entry station, paid, and on into the park we went. This was at least 11-12 years ago though. And you are correct, Glacier is awe inspiring.

Premium Member
'16 Road Glide Ultra, 110" Tire Shredder, V&H Power Duals w/ Hi-Outputs, For now.
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When did they start doing the ticket thing? Been up there a couple times and rode right up to the entry station, paid, and on into the park we went. This was at least 11-12 years ago though. And you are correct, Glacier is awe inspiring.
Been there a couple of times but was able to buy tickets at the gate back then, not some daily lottery like it is now!
The ticket lottery started last year, I believe. Pretty much all NPs have something in place now.
Here in Colorado, Rocky Mountain NP not only has a lottery, you have to basically make an appointment with a specific time of day that you're gonna be there. Unreal.

Registered
Unbelievable, a lottery system to get into our National Parks. I could imagine how pissed I would of been had I ridden all that way to get into the park & then get turned away. I mean, there's plenty of good riding up there but still, kinda throws a wrench into the plans IMO.
This is good info to know for the next time we plan a bike trip though.

Lil Chief

Reactions: louisiana rgl

Super Moderator
Awesome pics and write up. That鈥檚 a helluva first road trip. You鈥檝e set the bar really high for yourself lol.

Registered
Unbelievable, a lottery system to get into our National Parks. I could imagine how pissed I would of been had I ridden all that way to get into the park & then get turned away. I mean, there's plenty of good riding up there but still, kinda throws a wrench into the plans IMO.
This is good info to know for the next time we plan a bike trip though.

Lil Chief
It鈥檚 because nobody works anymore. Seems like the whole country is on vacation full time. Ran into the same in Colorado last September鈥very park was full, every hotel full. I don鈥檛 get it. The town where we live in Central Texas is full of tourists every day now. And they鈥檙e all young. Who鈥檚 supporting this??

Registered
2015 FLTRUSE
Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

Getting into GNP is like buying concert tickets; Log in to the site at 8 A.M. and submit your request for tix until you get them or denied. Struck out the first day. So we rode up to, Libby, Yaak, Rexford and Eureka then back down to Kalispell.
The road to Yaak from Libby is not much more than a paved fire road. Very narrow, plenty of deer and beautiful country.
Outstanding ride Colorado brother! We were on a very similar ride only getting our recreation.gov $2 tix for Going to the Sun Road the day before we needed them (on the 2nd try). If not successful, thought I might sweet talk my way into Glacier NP on 7/22, but they were turning folks w/o tix away ......whew! Had to add a day to our ride because of Yellowstone NP restrictions and .....as you did .........went west to Libby. We chose to go north to visit Lake Koocanusa and crossed the same bridge you did. This is the only time on our 4k miles road trip that our GTS navigation system failed us by changing the Ride Planner route through 12.5 miles of National Forest gravel roads possibly meant for a Harley Pan America, but absolutely NOT MEANT for a 1000-pound touring motorcycle. Miracle our FLTRUSE touring bike didn鈥檛 go down negotiating one of those steep slippery hairpins:eek:! Hmmmm, no cellular service and don't know if this senior citizen could have picked the bike up on that slippery gravel馃サ! Somehow, we survived and when we finally got back to a paved road, we immediately parked and were horrified our lovely Road Glide was caked with powdery dust. Big picture, we counted our blessings the bike didn't go down! We look forward to your next outstanding post!
Ecoregion World Map Atlas Slope
Ecoregion Light Rectangle Slope Map

1 - 12 of 12 Posts