Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, here's my conundrum. I have about 350 miles on my bike as of right now, I live in Jensen Beach Fl and am taking the shark to Myrtle Beach this weekend. It's approx 500 miles. Obviously im going to be due for my first service during the trip. I've called MB H-D and they have nothing until Tuesday, then I've called the next closest dealer in florence and same story. So the question is should i get my service done early(before i leave) / should i go over on miles and get it done when i get back/ or should i do it myself while up in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ride it, local dealer said I could go to 1100 miles before the first service. Or, give customer support in Milwaukee a call, they’ll let ya know. Besides that, your saying you’ll have 850 miles when your trip is done so you still shy of the 1000 miles. Good luck and congratulations on the new scooter.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
So guys, here's my conundrum. I have about 350 miles on my bike as of right now, I live in Jensen Beach Fl and am taking the shark to Myrtle Beach this weekend. It's approx 500 miles. Obviously im going to be due for my first service during the trip. I've called MB H-D and they have nothing until Tuesday, then I've called the next closest dealer in florence and same story. So the question is should i get my service done early(before i leave) / should i go over on miles and get it done when i get back/ or should i do it myself while up in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for any input.
Ask your local dealer if that is who will be dealing with for warranty work.

Personally, as long as you are keeping an eye on your fluids and are in tune with the way your bike is running/handling then I wouldn't have a problem going a little long. That said, if you do it early, you catch issues early if there are any. First service isn't just changing fluids. It is making sure the bike is ready to go the next 10,000 miles. Sorry I am no help. Just giving you the options so you can make a decision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride it, local dealer said I could go to 1100 miles before the first service. Or, give customer support in Milwaukee a call, they’ll let ya know. Besides that, your saying you’ll have 850 miles when your trip is done so you still shy of the 1000 miles. Good luck and congratulations on the new scooter.

Oh, I'm sorry if i didn't clarify. That's one way, so the total should be at least 1350 miles by next week. So hopefully that should help with the recommendations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my selling/ local dealer in service and they recommended me to dealers in South Carolina (which i called and got denied). So I'll call them tomorrow or stop by and talk to them personally and get a good grasp on the situation.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you have the Warranty Forever? If so there is a ballpark of 500 miles either way: change at 500 or 1500 no penalty; I had Casper serviced at 1268

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
That would be pretty pathetic if 500 miles over a recommended service would be a warranty or engine failure issue. You are definitely at the mercy of the service advisor so I would follow their recommendations. As far as going over I wouldn't worry about it. If its a peace of mind issue then service it before you leave and let them check everything on it. That way you know your good.

·
Registered
362 Posts
That would be pretty pathetic if 500 miles over a recommended service would be a warranty or engine failure issue. You are definitely at the mercy of the service advisor so I would follow their recommendations. As far as going over I wouldn't worry about it. If its a peace of mind issue then service it before you leave and let them check everything on it. That way you know your good.

Lifetime warranty has a catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
The oil is a concern but I would definitely go over the critical fasteners before you take the New Bike on a trip like that. On my 2017 all the critical fasteners were loose when checked at the 500 mile service and I still wonder till this day if they were loose when I drove out of the showroom. (Live and Learn) Don't rely on the dealer prep to have done the correct things with your bike. You are taking a long trip and its your life that depends on the machine you are riding to be safe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As far as lubes go, you are fine doing nothing except for checking levels, before the trip.

If it were mine, I would just change the engine oil, using conventional 20w-50, before the trip, then change the fluids using premium synthetic fluids, in all three holes, and oil filter when you get back.

Most important, check the torques on critical fasteners, before and after the trip.

Anything more is a waste of money, and this is probably overkill. Paying a dealer to do the 1K is a huge waste of $. You can do it yourself for $80 using the best fluids and filter out there.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
OK I am definitely not as mechanically inclined as a lot of you guys on the forum so sometimes I look at things maybe a little too simply. First, critical fasteners. They should have all been checked when you took possession of the bike 1000 miles ago. You paid probably $500 or so for a "set up" fee. Don't you think all those things should have been checked? And if they weren't, why would they be checked now? What are the chances that they were properly fastened and now they are lose? You should check them yourself before your trip. Fluids: the bike isn't going to self destruct at 1100 miles if it doesn't get its fluids change. That 1K service is probably a money making scam anyway. Why Didn't I have to get a 1K service on my Tacoma? First oil change on my truck was at 10K. Go on your trip. Get it done when you get home and have a good time.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The oil is a concern but I would definitely go over the critical fasteners before you take the New Bike on a trip like that. On my 2017 all the critical fasteners were loose when checked at the 500 mile service and I still wonder till this day if they were loose when I drove out of the showroom. (Live and Learn) Don't rely on the dealer prep to have done the correct things with your bike. You are taking a long trip and its your life that depends on the machine you are riding to be safe.
What he said^^^

·
Registered
507 Posts
Heat cycles and vibration can cause fasteners to loosen.

I check all of my own critical fasteners, about every 2-3k miles, after the 1k service. It ain't the dealer's or the tech's ass on the bike, it is mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, things have changed/ worked out. Thanks to tropical storm Gordon i left my bike in Myrtle Beach and am planning to return next month to retrieve it and I'll schedule my first service that weekend. It works out perfect im literally at 1001 miles when i left it in my in laws garage and the service is around $150 cheaper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts