Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my snazzy new RGU about a month ago. Riding has been pretty limited because we've had so much rain here lately. Anyway, a buddy and I decided to take a chance and see if we could squeeze in a dry ride. Did about a 100 mile loop but, not quite lucky enough - hit one of those showers on the interstate where you could see the wall of water in front of you. Fortunately right at a rest stop. So, we stopped - watched our bikes get soaked in the torrential downpour.

After about a 20 minute stop decided to try to take off again in light sprinkles. Got about a half mile down the highway and DRY road! I think we should have just driven through & would have been dryer.

Hated to get it rained on - but got that out of the way now. It surprised me how much water was pumped up by the front fairing vents. After lots of toweling & polishing it doesn't seem any worse for the wear : )

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
If you really ride, get used to rain and prepare for it by having the proper protective gear. Rain won't hurt the bike, and sooner or later it's going to catch you.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just got my snazzy new RGU about a month ago. Riding has been pretty limited because we've had so much rain here lately. Anyway, a buddy and I decided to take a chance and see if we could squeeze in a dry ride. Did about a 100 mile loop but, not quite lucky enough - hit one of those showers on the interstate where you could see the wall of water in front of you. Fortunately right at a rest stop. So, we stopped - watched our bikes get soaked in the torrential downpour.

After about a 20 minute stop decided to try to take off again in light sprinkles. Got about a half mile down the highway and DRY road! I think we should have just driven through & would have been dryer.

Hated to get it rained on - but got that out of the way now. It surprised me how much water was pumped up by the front fairing vents. After lots of toweling & polishing it doesn't seem any worse for the wear : )
You're joking right?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You ride long enough you're gonna get caught in a shower, probably sooner rather than later, no big deal.
About 8 years ago we stood under an overpass in Missouri for an hour and a half, got back on when the rain let up, 2 miles away the road was dry. Same trip, first day, less than an hr from leaving home spent over 2hrs under someone's Gazebo waiting out the rain.
Sturgis a few years ago, right outside the Buffalo Chip we stood on the side of the road laughing, it was raining so hard we couldnt see 10ft and we weren't even moving.
Been wet way too many times to count, never caused any problems other than being cold as hell a couple times.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup - just kidding around. Got the gear & been caught lots of times - just not on the new ride!! Still hate to even get bugs on it!! : )

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
one thing I noticed about the RGU compared to other bikes...as long as I'm going down the highway,I really don't get wet except for the top of my face and 2 little spots on my pant leg,rest stays dry! not sure I even need raingear.

Seems like every time I have gotten a new bike,I seem to get it baptized the first day usually.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My first ride after picking up from the dealer was a return trip to warrenty out the batt. I to hit the WALL OF WATER and all the cages jumped on thier brakes. Well that time the ABS paid for itself many times over, my older batwing would have been sliding down I-75!!! ABS is worth its weight in gold. And rodies do seem to keep you dryer.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Couple years ago coming back from Myrtle Beach Bike Week we rode about 500 of a 630 mi trip in the rain. Had to be back for work, but if I wasn't so bull headed could have departed a day sooner and been dry the whole way. Don't care to do that again:D

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Been caught in the rain many of times. I don't use rain gear I found out that after it stops raining I can just air dry. I do wear leathers when it is cold out but I don't like wearing leathers much either.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Consider your bike as now being baptized. A good rain ride can lead to meeting locals on back roads in places you'd normally cruise right past. Hole up under old road side car ports, barns, gas stations, and any gazebo, or covered picnic area (especially at churches) and they seem to come out of the woodwork to talk to you while you wait it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Couple years ago coming back from Myrtle Beach Bike Week we rode about 500 of a 630 mi trip in the rain. Had to be back for work, but if I wasn't so bull headed could have departed a day sooner and been dry the whole way. Don't care to do that again:D
--------------------------------------------
MOCOTOM - Sounds like my SC trip in 07 (i think). We got 15 miles from the house and baboom. Thunderstorms and moderate to heavy rain until about 30 miles from SC. everyone was on batwings and sharks except for this guy. I had a softail standard with no windshield. Luckily I bought my first full face (modular) helmet just for the trip just in case. we stopped under an over pass so all could gear up. everyone laughing because here I was with no windshield. Until..... we got moving again and I was the only one with a fully protected body and they were getting pelted in the face with un relenting rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts