Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
So I have my 2011 RGU going in next week for a tune on the dyno at a Harley dealer. I've never done this before and have no idea what to expect and would like some advise on what to ask for if anything?

Stock 103 with Woods 555 cams, Klock Works double back dual exhaust & RSD air cleaner. Power Vision tuner with a Fuel Motto tune on it right now.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Most dealers just put in canned maps, hopefully your place is different.
It takes more then just putting in a canned map to make the bike run 100%
Each cylinder, each gear, each throttle position should be optimized, this takes hours to do properly.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most dealers just put in canned maps, hopefully your place is different.
It takes more then just putting in a canned map to make the bike run 100%
Each cylinder, each gear, each throttle position should be optimized, this takes hours to do properly.
They said they don't use canned tunes but I will double check and make sure. Hopefully they don't do that. I rode a CVO that they had done work on before and that thing screamed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the dealership back and they do not use canned tunes. They put the sniffers in each tail pipe and tune it according to that. I feel good about them working on my bike as they have tech's who have experiance with the Power Vision. I'm not expecting really awesome numbers I'm just trying to get the bike running as good as I possible can.

I know adding an auto tuner like the Thundermax or getting the auto tune module to go with my power vision would be best but I figure dyno tuned is the next best thing.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I called the dealership back and they do not use canned tunes. They put the sniffers in each tail pipe and tune it according to that. I feel good about them working on my bike as they have tech's who have experiance with the Power Vision. I'm not expecting really awesome numbers I'm just trying to get the bike running as good as I possible can.

I know adding an auto tuner like the Thundermax or getting the auto tune module to go with my power vision would be best but I figure dyno tuned is the next best thing.
Don't know about your dealership but we used to have one of the best tuners in the country at our dealership but he left a while back. He did train a few of the other techs there and they have become pretty good in their own right. There is some debate on weather a human or the autotune feature is better. If the tech is good, I'd put my money on them. The autotune feature is still good and can be better if the person running it knows what they are doing. Autotune by itself used by the average Joe can do good things provided Joe isn't one to keep tinkering with things. The more I learn about how the TMax works the more I'm a fan but would still prefer a great dyno guy tuning my bike if I am not planning on changing anything ever. But if you change components you just load a new MAP for the TMax and let it do its thing vs. having to go pay for a new dyno tune.

Also, don't set yourself up for disappointment in the final peak numbers. It is what it is for that dyno that day. That is just a pull for max power and really tells you very little about how the bike will perform in all the other gears and for everyday riding. You will know if the tech did a good job by the way the bike responds when you twist the throttle. :wink:

Good luck and don't forget to post a copy of the sheet when you get it done!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am on the fence between a good dyno tune and the auto tune. It will be a few years before I do anymore engine mods to the bike. At some point I want to do the 110" kit with good heads and cam. The only internal work done to my 103" is Woods 555 cams.

I'm not looking to make tons of power I just want a GOOD tune for my ride to SWIX and trips locally. I have a Fuel Motto canned tune on it right now and I am getting mid 30's MPG right now. And that is with me being light on the throttle.

I was a carb guy for years and swore I would never run FI until I got my first FI Jeep. When off-road you can't beat a FI engine. Except when it breaks down.
I have been looking at the Thundermax and have a buddy who has one on his drag bike. He swears by it. My understanding is the T-Max is better than the Power Vision w/Auto tune.

Yes once I pick the bike up next weekend I'll post the dyno sheet even if I'm only making 50 RWHP & 52 RWTQ...…….. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you have a good/quality tuner in your area, that's super then a auto tune.
Here is where things get blurry. Every time you make changes, you should get it re-tuned = more money.
Does that equal the price of a Thundermax? Kind of a toss up really.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a good/quality tuner in your area, that's super then a auto tune.
Here is where things get blurry. Every time you make changes, you should get it re-tuned = more money.
Does that equal the price of a Thundermax? Kind of a toss up really.
I don't have on in my area. I have to drive over to Bellevue to get this done. Which is about 2 hours away from my home. But they are the closest place and I know them so it works.

I've been looking at the DynoJet PV Target Tuner that they have came out with. Since I already have the Power Vision it is the cheaper option but I don't like having to have the PV mounted to my handlebars. It mean one more thing I have to take off at night when I am traveling.

Like I said my end goal is to do a 110" or larger kit and when I am there good performance heads (either Harley or Fuel Motto). Once I am done with that I don't know that I will be modin the engine more.

Where the T-Max is more inviting is because it is a plug and forget thing. Do an update to it if I do engine mods but that is it. Just seems to be easier in the long run to me if a full time tuner is what I decide to go with. I don't know what I could sell my PV for but I would hope I could get 50% out of it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I don't have on in my area. I have to drive over to Bellevue to get this done. Which is about 2 hours away from my home. But they are the closest place and I know them so it works.

I've been looking at the DynoJet PV Target Tuner that they have came out with. Since I already have the Power Vision it is the cheaper option but I don't like having to have the PV mounted to my handlebars. It mean one more thing I have to take off at night when I am traveling.

Like I said my end goal is to do a 110" or larger kit and when I am there good performance heads (either Harley or Fuel Motto). Once I am done with that I don't know that I will be modin the engine more.

Where the T-Max is more inviting is because it is a plug and forget thing. Do an update to it if I do engine mods but that is it. Just seems to be easier in the long run to me if a full time tuner is what I decide to go with. I don't know what I could sell my PV for but I would hope I could get 50% out of it.
Im sure you could sell your PV, next owner has to buy a license for $200 though. Is the PV with TT as good as a TM? I don't know the answer. I know I don't want anything hanging off my handlebars either. No drink holder or anything else.

Really a toss up. Im sure there are pros and cons for each way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Think about riding all the way to Nanaimo, BC and let Russel tune it.

Lonewolf Performance. He only uses TTS though.

I'll be there on Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Think about riding all the way to Nanaimo, BC and let Russel tune it.

Lonewolf Performance. He only uses TTS though.

I'll be there on Tuesday.
Not a thing wrong with TTS if you want a human to dyno your bike. TTS used to make the SE Pro Super Tuner (the orange one) for HD until HD kicked them to the curb. They made tuners for race cars for a while before HD approached them to make one for the company. They know how to make a good tuner and if Russell is good your bike will run great.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

#1: make the tuner aware of how you ride!!!

i don't think you want a "peaky" tune where you have to stay high up in the revs.
a lot of that is dictated by the cam and other components you have chosen but he can maximize each.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I had my 11' with a 96 pump. I moved to CO and went to a indy shop. At the time I was experiencing the usual symptoms going from 12k to 2k-100f, etc.. we slapped on duals, SuperTrap slip-ons and Tmax. I am a savy with the carb stuff, and know enough to be dangerous and fuck shit up with the new stuff. The Tmax worked well. It never got rid of the pinging. I turned it a bit, each direction, nothing.

Wife said, I think I hate you but you should still come with me to SC. SO i moved to SC with her.. fell out of love with the Tmax, put a FP3 on and they dyno-ed it. Performance wise, it ran better then the Tmax, and yes I was updating the maps, or self-teaching, whatever you call it. bike ran like a Banjee..., I recall the torque and HP with damn near flat at 80+. but, there was the underlying load ping, that was always there. I had about 60k on it.
Last week I owned the bike. They took it on a trade in for a 18' on my terms.

Tmax didn't work for me. I put the time in. Applied the old point logic to EFI, had customer support. Could have been the bike. Or me. I do suck ass at most things. My dog likes me.....I think.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh, and be careful to those with end caps. When I got my bike back from the dyno, I noticed two 3/8' holes in each end cap..... WTF. They took care of it... just one of those "are you fucking serious" moments.... not even a phone call, or...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I never got the bike dyno'd. I had it at the dealership waiting to be worked on and had found a 2015 CVO RGU for a good price. I'd always wanted a CVO so I traded my 2011 for the 2015.

I haven't looked back yet and I am loving the CVO. Waiting for the 117" kits to come off backorder so I can get a few more cubic inches.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Congratulations! Cant wait to see it...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Since I already have the Power Vision it is the cheaper option but I don't like having to have the PV mounted to my handlebars. It mean one more thing I have to take off at night when I am traveling.
I know I don't want anything hanging off my handlebars either. No drink holder or anything else.

A bit late on the draw here, but I thought it should be noted that the Power Vision display does NOT have to be permanently mounted to the bike. The PV is a
flash tuner, so once the tune is sent to the ECM you're done, unplug it, throw it in a drawer if you wish.
You can however use the gauge function as a monitor to watch most anything that comes out of ECM on the data bus if you're a nut about that stuff like me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I won't be seeing a Dyno for a while with this new bike. Before really thinking about it and because I was getting the 117" kit installed I bought a ESP to go with the bike. Figured better safe than sorry. Well of course with all the BS that has hit Harley and it's dealers from the EPA this dealer is standing firm on my having to use the SESPT so I also got the Auto tune module to go with it. Figure this way I'll get the most out of it. I know it isn't ideal but it will have to work for now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here is the WHOLE statement.

A bit late on the draw here, but I thought it should be noted that the Power Vision display does NOT have to be permanently mounted to the bike. The PV is a
flash tuner, so once the tune is sent to the ECM you're done, unplug it, throw it in a drawer if you wish.
You can however use the gauge function as a monitor to watch most anything that comes out of ECM on the data bus if you're a nut about that stuff like me.
Yes I know you can just flash the ECM and put the PV away but I was referring to running the PV Target Tuner and you then need to run with the PV on your handlebars from what I understand.

I had just used it to flash my ECM and then put it away. I did the same thing with my ex's Sporty. I just bought the additional tune unlock. The PV is a good tuner and I was happy with it. My model wouldn't work with my newer bike so I left it with my old bike when I traded it in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts