Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I took my '09 Road Glide in for the 35,000 mile service last Thursday with 35,621 miles. I complained about the clutch needing the cable adjusted three times in the last three weeks. The dealer finished that day and said that the clutch just had the lock nut loose but the rear brake switch was bad and replaced under warranty. I rode this weekend. The clutch cable again went out of adjustment and the rear brake petal was sponge. I also noticed the shift lever off the transmission was loose.

I hit the dealer this morning at 8am. I told them about the clutch adjustment, the brake petal, and the loose lever. When I told them, they said that the lever was not checked. I said it should be because if it is left loose, the shaft coming out of the transmission would wear out and need replacement at great cost. About noon, they came out and told me that they found the clutch basket bearing was bad and the shifter shaft coming out of the transmission was worn to the point the lever would not tighten. I am thankful I have the extended warranty. It will cost me the $50 deductible. I have a loaner Ultra.

I usually check this shaft. But I didn't do it often enough. So one thing for everyone to check. Take your hand and see if you can move the shift lever that comes off the transmission. If you do not keep it tight. Or leave it loose for any length of time, you will have a very large repair job. You will be required to replace the shifter shaft that comes out of the side of the transmission. Check it.

Boy, I miss my Road Glide!!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I have been riding the 2011 Ultra Glide Loaner that Skip Fordyce provided under my contract. What a difference in the ride. The Fairing does not provide the protection from the wind that mine does. I find the windshield is so high and close. I will be glad when I get my Road Glide back.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was out riding today and it rained. I am on the Ultra Glide while my Road Glide is in the shop. Now I know the difference between the Ultra and Road Glide. When I got caught in the rain on my RG, I had better protection from the rain. (With the Lowers) But with the Ultra, the gap between the Fairing and Lowers lets rain come up the side of the fuel tank.

Boy, will I be glad to get my Road Glide back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts