Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter's project(s) included the Stage 4 103 kit for my '11 FLTRU. After the Meet up at State College, I realized that something was wrong and the bike was way low on oil. Dealer replaced the umbrella valve in the new SE heads and said all was well. It wasn't. Pinging ensued and I took it back twice for retuning. This was an awesome bike to ride after the Stage 4 kit and I loved it. However, I have been a very unhappy Glider since April with the continued issues.

More time goes by, and more pinging, and more black soot out of the left pipe. And yes, I noticed that it was spitting oil out of the pipe again and once again was low on oil. While at DelMarrVa Bike Week, Speed's Performance had two people suggest that the real issue was the Valve Guide seal. So - call the dealer and have them look at it.

Took my bike in today and the GM offered me a test ride on a 2015 Road Glide Special - Horrible wind management. (But love the new handle bar bend) So, I really hope they can get my bike fixed properly.

Anyone else have this issue with it spewing oil out the rear pipe and pinging? It never pinged before the fix of the umbrella valve.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
It does sound like a valve seal problem. The new 15's are always an option, but if your like me I have way too much invested getting mine the way I like it to start over again.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I'm like you and have too much in my '11 to think about the '15, though I test rode a Special today while taking the bike back. Prefer my 11.

Not really sure that the issue has anything to do with the Stage 4 kit. I would do it again in a heartbeat.Glad it kept the bike under warranty.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
IMO a stage IV is a waste of good money been there done that got my 103 stage II back in the engine and all is good.

If your valve seals are bad you will see a cloud of blue smoke when you start the bike in the morning or after the bike been sitting for a while. This happens because the oil in heads has time to leak pass the valve seals and collect in the combustion chamber. If you don't see the blue smoke on first start up than the valve seals are good.
If the umbrella valve is bad you will have a lot of oil in the air fliter and throttle body and oil will be on the cam cover no matter what you oil level is or how hard you run the bike.
My stage IV used oil too and I suspected that it was blowing by the rings.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your valve seals are bad you will see a cloud of blue smoke when you start the bike in the morning or after the bike been sitting for a while. This happens because the oil in heads has time to leak pass the valve seals and collect in the combustion chamber. If you don't see the blue smoke on first start up than the valve seals are good.
If the umbrella valve is bad you will have a lot of oil in the air fliter and throttle body and oil will be on the cam cover no matter what you oil level is or how hard you run the bike.
My stage IV used oil too and I suspected that it was blowing by the rings.
That backs up what I heard from a non-dealer wrench. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I dont ping, but the valve train is noisy.

I would have built a different engine knowing what i know now.

I've got 18K miles on the stage IV and i dont consume oil anymore. The first few thousand miles i had oil consumption.

My left exhaust is always sooty. I have the V&H with the x pipe, the right exhaust comes out with way more velocity so I dont think it deposits on that side as much.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - Stage 4 pistons are shot. Valve Guide Seals, pistons, and cylinders getting replaced. I wonder if the dyno runs immediately after the build had something to do with it. Oh well.... damn!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't mind, who is doing the wrenching on your bike, I am from the Frederick area. Still looking and trying out shops to work on my scoot.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you don't mind, who is doing the wrenching on your bike, I am from the Frederick area. Still looking and trying out shops to work on my scoot.
Battlefield Harley in Gettysburg.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My first ride on a touring bike was on my dad's 09 road king. We set off to Gettysburg for their bike week. On the way down I noticed there was this little red light that looked like a gauge that was sometimes on sometimes not. Not knowing what it was I decided to ask at the counter at battlefield HD. They said they didn't know what it was either and could look at it for me. I said why would I have them look at it if they didn't know what 25 percent of the lights on the bike were for. Lol. they preceded to tell me it was probably the antilock brakes. I'm sure that scares most people into a service charge. :D I said in that case I didn't care.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dude I really feel for you. Ive had 2 engine builds in the last 16 months due to really bad builders. Lesson is being learned as I type this and I was leaning towards cutting my losses and get a 15. 2 things jumped out, 1, It would take a good $10k to get a 15 to where I like it and 2, HD screwed the buying public by their color availability to the models. Nothing jumped out at me. No warm and fuzzy feeling.
I have a stage 4 103 and after finding out my engine was sumping and getting that fixed, they said the builder put my breather valves in upside down and my runout on my welded timkin crank was excessive with my gear drive cams.
It will be cheaper for me to get a S&S T124 with a 1 year warranty crate engine than dick around anymore short of buying new. Hope all works out for you

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update: The bike is still in pieces. Harley-Davidson has sent 2 different sets of damaged pistons. The third try was a charm after the dealer bitched on my behalf to the mother company. Hand picked a new set from the assembly line and inspected and properly packed. They arrived at dealer today. However, sitting next to my Road Glide on the lift is yet another Road Glide with a Stage 4 103 kit that had the same issue as my bike. That owner is skipping the Stage 4 and going to a 117" build. Now I am rather nervous about trusting my bike again once I get it back. GM @ Battlefield calling Milwaukee to find out about the Stage 4 kit issues and the customer service issues to me and another customer of theirs. Really sucks not riding my Glide. 2015 looking more likely and may just do a 120R motor and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Although I was leaning toward a 2015 or a 120R, I could not find any evidence of widespread issues with the 103 Stage 4 kit. Probably a bade batch of pistons. So, for now, I will get the bike back with the Stage 4 and freshened pistons, seals, etc and am having them switch to a different cam to bring the power on sooner to better suit my riding style. So, a T-Man cam it is. I just want to be happy with my bike again. Missed way too many miles on it so far this year. The T-Man 590 is what was recommended by the wrench and validated with T-Man. Good- bye 259 cam.
Just an update: The bike is still in pieces. Harley-Davidson has sent 2 different sets of damaged pistons. The third try was a charm after the dealer bitched on my behalf to the mother company. Hand picked a new set from the assembly line and inspected and properly packed. They arrived at dealer today. However, sitting next to my Road Glide on the lift is yet another Road Glide with a Stage 4 103 kit that had the same issue as my bike. That owner is skipping the Stage 4 and going to a 117" build. Now I am rather nervous about trusting my bike again once I get it back. GM @ Battlefield calling Milwaukee to find out about the Stage 4 kit issues and the customer service issues to me and another customer of theirs. Really sucks not riding my Glide. 2015 looking more likely and may just do a 120R motor and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
No bad batch of pistons here, as WE measure the skirt diameter of each prior to boring/honing, to insure that each and every cylinder is correct.
Sounds very odd to me........
Scott

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No bad batch of pistons here, as WE measure the skirt diameter of each prior to boring/honing, to insure that each and every cylinder is correct.
Sounds very odd to me........
Scott
Yeah.... me, too. I am very wishful that all will be fine with my 103. If it isn't, I'm done with trying to keep it under the 7 year warranty that I purchased with the bike in 2011. This Stage 4 has been troublesome since it was done early this year. Will be looking for recommendations on improvements if it breaks after this. (Yeah, the T-Man 590 cams may throw a wrench into the warranty as well if they can prove it caused damage.)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hopefully last post

So, bike is now completed with new seals, gaskets, and pistons as well as the switch to adjustable pushrods and T-Man 590 cam. Dyno readout is 115 HP and 125 ft # Torque.

It figures it is finally ready right when the arctic weather settles in (But I'll take the 40s over the ice and snow others are receiving!) Will ride it home tomorrow and as often as I can (Thank you Gerbings!) while keeping a very close eye on oil levels. I do hope this is the last update! I sure as hell miss my riding time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts