Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an expected phone call yesterday. My aunt in New York died. She had cancer, she was 87. In a little while I'll be getting on the bike and leaving the house. I have an appointment at the dealer for when they open. They'll be performing the 15K service on my 17 RGU (currently 15,450 miles on the bike). After which, I'll be getting on the bike and heading north. I'm planning on staying with my sister in NJ. I don't yet know when the funeral will be.

Going north, I'll be riding the superslab; need to make time. On the return trip though, I'm hoping to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway south. That's something I've wanted to do for a while now. The reason for the trip could be under better conditions, but the Power That Be doesn't explain (at least to me) how/why things get arranged they way they do. A short time ago, I had been speaking with Jacksprat56 about making a trip to ride the Parkway, it seems as if I'm going to be able to do it.

I'll try and take some pictures along the way (the leafs should be changing color). I've never posted anything from my phone before, so you may have to wait until I get back home to see them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Ride safe and enjoy the scenery on the way home.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I echo Bob's sentiments above! Peace to you and your family. Please ride safe...

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
My Condolences to You and Your Family on The Loss of Your Aunt.
May She Rest in Eternal Peace.
Have a Safe Trip and enjoy The Autumn Scenery.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

If you're in Central or North Jersey cut across PA into Gettysburg then south.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Condolences to y'all. Have a safe ride!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Our deepest condolences to you and your family....If near or around Gettysburg area feel free to chime in for supper or a break in your travels....Ride safe, best, Doug.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry to hear of your lose. I pray peace for your family and safe travels for yourself.
Ride on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The folks at Harley of Dothan took good care of me. I was there when they opened the door and took me right in. I left them, had lunch and was on the road before noon.

Crossing into GA, the time zone changed. Made it to Atlanta just in time for rush hour (it lasts longer than an hour). I've installed Custom Dynamics Probeam tail light and Fillerz, along with their strobe controller. They saved my butt a couple of times.

Good opportunity to practice the Slow Race. Are you supposed to be able to put both feet down onto the pavement of the Interstate?

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made it to my sister's yesterday; approximately 1150 miles. Got rained on the last 100 miles or so.

Stopped at Harley of Williamsport MD. Small shop in a strip mall. I've not seen a shop so small before.

I'm missing my Airhawk cushion. It developed a leak, which I thought I fixed but hadn't.

In NJ, on I287, stuck in nonmoving traffic. I'm not really sure how to tell, but I think the bike was over heating on me. I could feel the heat real bad on my thigh and it stalled on me twice. I had to fight my way to the shoulder, where I rode for several miles at idle speed, until things cooled down.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funeral will be on Saturday. Might start back on Sunday.

I see the Blue Ridge Parkway is 500 miles long. I don't know if I can do the whole thing. If anyone has suggestions on which parts to skip and which to see, I'm listening.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I'd share a comment my sister made to me when I arrived; she can't stand motorcycles.

She said "Now that you're here you won't HAVE to ride that anymore. We have cars."

I told her, that unlike you, some people actually like riding these things. So it's not a matter of having to, it's a matter of wanting to.

·
Registered
342 Posts
some people actually like riding these things. So it's not a matter of having to, it's a matter of wanting to.
I'm getting to the point that if I can't travel by bike I don't want to go.
They call them cages for a reason.

Glad you made it there safe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started my trip back today, did 345 miles. I'm about 20 miles west of the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll start my travels down it tomorrow. The local forecast here is calling for decent weather, but the long range forecast isn't so good. It looks like I'm gonna get wet . I hate riding in the rain.

I'm not the best photographer, but I'll see if I can get some pictures posted. I only know how to attach a picture, not how to embed the larger ones right into the post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts