Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Flash Drive to download my cd collection on.

Does anybody use a Flash Drive to play there music thru there stereo? and,...what is the best format to put them in?

MP3 or MPEG4

I've downloaded sum to-nite in the 2-different formats I've mentioned, but would like to know what others do, if the've done the same.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Neano I'm not sure how you store your music but I use Itunes. I haven't used a flash drive but I do use my Ipod in my pick up and the Iphone on my R/G. I had a nice system installed in my truck and I have Hawg Wired on the bike and the compressed style music that gets put on your computer sounded terrible on a higher end system (and yours definitely sounds higher end.) I found that by putting my music files on an external hard drive(for space because I use a lap top) and in Itunes I convert my music to an apple lossless version(you can find this in the drop down menu marked advanced at the top) I can't bring all my music along but defiantly more than enough so I don't get bored. I have 460 songs on my iphone and its only half full. The difference in sound quality is amazing and well worth having to change the songs that I take now and then.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would recommend you use MP3 as your music format.
MPEG-4 is method of defining compression of audio and visual (AV) digital data (aka movies not so much music)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Stupid question.....

....how are you actually playing this music on your RG?
If you're ripping songs onto a CD, mp3 format is the way to go. You can get more music on a cd in this format.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i have put 150 song in mp3 format on a cd that is the max on a 700 mb blank

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah! That's what I'm talkin bout!

150 songs on a cd?!?!?
I haven't done this, even though I suggested it, I thought being able to get another 15 songs on a cd would be good but 150!?!?! Hole $H1T! That's awesome!
Unfortunately, when I downloaded music into iTunes, I didn't tell it to download in this mp3 format so now, I think, I'm screwed.

HSP

·
Registered
397 Posts
hsp u can put those into mp3 format from itunes because thats what i have itunes and i want to fig how to put a lot of songs on a cd instead of taking my ipod everywhere when i get the link how to do it i will post it

·
Registered
397 Posts
hsp go to yahoo search and type in how to convert acc files to mp3 let me know what you get

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use iTunes to manage my music both in ACC and MP3 format, but I keep most if not all in MP3 so it is easy to share and pass around to friends.

For listening on the bike, i started by using custom made CDs in MP3 format @ 256kbps rate (that gets the best quality for space) which got me about 75 songs per CD. But now i have upgrade my new RGU with the HD iPod setup and holly sh&t!! batman, that thing ROCKS... I have all my music on one device, no special setup; except having the local dealer install the iPod connection line in the glove box, i get my playlists and pics and even a vid cam on my 4th gen iPod.

i use to put my music on my ZUMO, but it slowed the ZUMO down to the point where it is not able to keep up with my routing or the music skips.

All in all, I recommend MP3 format at atleast 256kbps or higher, manage it with itunes and burn custom CDs or go for the total setup and get the HD iPod integrator kit.

robmc

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I use mp3 and try to maintain files at 128kb. Higher encoding rates just make larger files that are usually tinny sounding. Any resulting noise or loss from mp3 compression isn't an issue in my car, much less on the bike.

I have an iPod, but maintain all my audio files in mp3 format and I don't let iTunes manage them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
These are instructions I posted in a different thread that may help some folks:
1) make sure you are actually burning MP3s. The HK until will not play any other format (AAC, etc).
2) This is the hard one: the HK unit will not play Mp3s with ID3 tagging above v1.1.
So, how do you accomplish this?
First thing, you will want to have a separate copy of your music folder, so that you can leave all your original music unaltered (with album artwork, lyrics, and all the other stuff ID3 V2 allows)
I recommend the following:
1) download iTunes for free
2) make a copy of all your music either on an external HD or in a separate location on your main HD
3) Point iTunes to that location and let it import all the music.
4) select all the tracks in the iTunes library, and right click
5) select "convert ID3 tags"
6) select the option to convert to v1.0
7) wait
8) done! you now have a library of tracks that can be put into playlists as you like and burned to data CDs (6-7 hours of music per CD)

Good luck,
Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts