Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This [email protected] forum! I get on looking at crap. End up in the suspension area and next thing I know I've ordered a set of monotubes off amazon for $270 shipped.

Now I need help. I've tried reading all the old threads. Should I do -1 or -2 up front? Looks like most do -2 but they're also running 21" wheels. Is -1 not enough to notice? or is -2 too much with stock rear end?

What about lowering blocks for the rear? A lot of mixed reviews? The stock rear shocks on the custom are already 12", right?

-Mike

·
Registered
757 Posts
19" Agitator is the same height as the stock 18 if you're running the 130/60 19 tire. Lower tire profile makes up the difference in rim diameter. 2" looks cool but looses travel to soak up the bumps. You gonna ride it or look at it? Mine is stock height with the 19 front. Need all the travel I can get with the roads around here.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I have the stock wheels and tires with the Progressive Mono Tubes -1 drop and I'm very happy with how the bike rides.
I also have the Progressive 944's in the rear and the Touring Link and the bike runs like it's on rails.
Can't wait to ditch the Dunlops for better tires and I'm sure my Glide will ride even smoother.
Mike U.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ditto on the -1 drop. My bike handles a lot better without sacrificing the travel of the suspension, plus it looks good.

IMO the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You don't "need" to drop the front at all for the 19" agitator. No matter what anyone says there is a trade off to lowering your bike. It will not ride as well with shorter travel and you will reduce lean angle. If you are having to reduce the height because you are short and need to reach the ground then ok. If you raise the front with a 21" wheel and want to return it to stock height by lowering it 1" then ok. But ride quality will suffer. You are losing 1" of travel. It will look cool slammed to the ground but there is a trade off in ride. I'm not saying that you shouldn't just saying go into it with your eyes open knowing what the trade offs are.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to clarify a couple things... I'm 6'3", so i'm not lowering for height. I live in iowa which is about as flat as it gets, so not super concerned with lean angles like the mountains. I already have the agitators on so I know I don't have to lower it.

With that said, it sounds like -1 is my plan. I'm just trying to slam the bike a little without it looking like it's going down hill. From what i've read, the switch to monotubes is significantly better than stock, so ride quality should be better regardless. The front feels jacked up as it is, so if i'm going to replace the suspension (i'm already going to have the front apart doing my bars) I want to lower it a little. I was just trying to see if -2 was too much with a stock wheel setup. Sounds like it would be.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now everyone has be questioning if I should have ordered the stock height monotubes! Crap. Now I don't know what to do. Feel like I ordered the wrong thing. everyone running -2 has a 21" wheel. Now I feel like -1 will scrape all the time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
you don't "need" to drop the front at all for the 19" agitator. No matter what anyone says there is a trade off to lowering your bike. It will not ride as well with shorter travel and you will reduce lean angle. If you are having to reduce the height because you are short and need to reach the ground then ok. If you raise the front with a 21" wheel and want to return it to stock height by lowering it 1" then ok. But ride quality will suffer. You are losing 1" of travel. It will look cool slammed to the ground but there is a trade off in ride. I'm not saying that you shouldn't just saying go into it with your eyes open knowing what the trade offs are.

sent from motorcycle.com free app
this ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
613 Posts
You shouldn't have problems scraping running it lowered. I run -1 monotubes for the ride. I don't like the front end walking up the high side just getting on the interstate on ramp. I have run -1 lowered on my HD tourining bikes from day one. I think you will be happy when you get them installed.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
If youre not going to use the lower progressives and want to get rid of them im interested in them :)

·
Registered
257 Posts

Just to clarify a couple things... I'm 6'3", so i'm not lowering for height. I live in iowa which is about as flat as it gets, so not super concerned with lean angles like the mountains. I already have the agitators on so I know I don't have to lower it.

With that said, it sounds like -1 is my plan. I'm just trying to slam the bike a little without it looking like it's going down hill. From what i've read, the switch to monotubes is significantly better than stock, so ride quality should be better regardless. The front feels jacked up as it is, so if i'm going to replace the suspension (i'm already going to have the front apart doing my bars) I want to lower it a little. I was just trying to see if -2 was too much with a stock wheel setup. Sounds like it would be.
Im running a 19" agitator -1' I also lowered the back an inch too. It rides great too.

Ron

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
972 Posts
I just received my stock height mono tubes, with any luck I can make a real comment in the near future.... Otherwise I am just wasting time:D

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Running lowered 2" will never make sense to me. I what ride quality, not a "look" of a lowered front end. Less travel equals less ability to absorb bumps. I don't care what anyone says, lowering a bike 2" in the front will affect the forks ability to soak up bumps not to mention decrease ground clearance.

This to me would be the equivalent of going with shorter than 12"s tock shocks like a burly slammer which will also make the bike ride like a truck. I normally don't say anything but have always found it strange everyone on this site and this site only lowers their bike 2" in the front.

Think about how much travel the forks avhe and then decrease that by 2" it leaves you with practically no travel. I guess if you ride smooth roads all day and never ride windy roads it might work for you but that is not the case for me and never will be.

Did a 21 front with stock height and there are no ill effects without lowering the front end. The bike is more nimble than before and falls into corners much easier due to the tire that I put on which is 10mm narrower than the stock tire.

Not to mention the feel of my new tire (Com II) is much smoother than stock dunlop will ever be.

Let it be known, you can lower 2" if you want to but there is no need. I always advise my customers to put on a 21" wheel and see how that affects thing before deciding on a lowering kit or not. IF you do it all at once there is no way to know if it was the lowering kit or the wheel that is making things feel different. Regardless, whatever you choose, enjoy!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Running lowered 2" will never make sense to me. I what ride quality, not a "look" of a lowered front end. Less travel equals less ability to absorb bumps. I don't care what anyone says, lowering a bike 2" in the front will affect the forks ability to soak up bumps not to mention decrease ground clearance.

This to me would be the equivalent of going with shorter than 12"s tock shocks like a burly slammer which will also make the bike ride like a truck. I normally don't say anything but have always found it strange everyone on this site and this site only lowers their bike 2" in the front.

Think about how much travel the forks avhe and then decrease that by 2" it leaves you with practically no travel. I guess if you ride smooth roads all day and never ride windy roads it might work for you but that is not the case for me and never will be.

Did a 21 front with stock height and there are no ill effects without lowering the front end. The bike is more nimble than before and falls into corners much easier due to the tire that I put on which is 10mm narrower than the stock tire.

Not to mention the feel of my new tire (Com II) is much smoother than stock dunlop will ever be.

Let it be known, you can lower 2" if you want to but there is no need. I always advise my customers to put on a 21" wheel and see how that affects thing before deciding on a lowering kit or not. IF you do it all at once there is no way to know if it was the lowering kit or the wheel that is making things feel different. Regardless, whatever you choose, enjoy!
There are a ton of us here and on other forums that put in plenty of miles on a -2 set up. Agreed the suspension travel is significantly less but it still rides fine to me and digs in the corners like a rat on rollerblades. Not to mention the fact that it just looks damn cool. :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
No offense, I'd never do that.
A stock Harley front end has "roughy" 4-3/8" of suspension travel......that's from all the way extended (not OEM ride height) til the fork tubes bottom out on the lower sliders. This is a conventional oil/spring setup which works, but is highly inefficient. Hence why most other makes run a canister style......

Monotubes are WAY more efficient! You just installed a set on your bike so you understand the way they operate, the dampening rod moves inside of the sealed cartridge etc etc..... Your front end no longer "needs" that 4-3/8" of travel hence you will never bottom out on a stock set of monotubes (I've never once seen it)

I can drag floor boards and stretched bags all day long on a stock bike. Install a set of -2" monotubes and shocks.....there is no more "dips and dives" in the suspension and I've never drug a floor board or bag :D

To each there own and it is what it is,but, of I rode like shit and bottomed out everywhere no one would do it. I'll ride toe to toe and when were done and parked my shit will still good :thumbup:

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts