Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Road Glide Ultra, Vance & Hines Power Duals, Screaming Eagle Hi-Flow Air cleaner, Screaming Eagle Thunder Slip-ons, LCD V&H Fuelpak.

The bikes runs great, good throttle response. This is more about the sound.

Over all the bike has a nice low rich sound, but it also has this weird fluttering popping sound. Tried a few different maps, but its still there.

I'm thinking because the SE Thunder Slip-ons are open (meaning you can look clear through them, because of the side wall baffling) and that there is virtually no resistance i.e. back pressure from the open No-Cat Power Duals, that I may need to add some insert baffles into the mufflers the help create a little back pressure and also muffle the flutter & popping.

Open to your thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
The popping is a tune issue. That so called fluttering sound is more than likely just the slipons. You said you tried different maps, were they obtained from V&H or were you just playing around with the fuel pak? I can say V&H tech support is pretty good because I've used them for the fuel pak I have in my bike. My bike is stock with just A/C and slipons but I recently changed the slipons to something they didn't have in their list of pipes. I called them up and they suggested I try a map for a particular exhaust that was listed and it worked out great. Also in case you don't know, the fuel pak is a pretty basic piggyback tuner that isn't very adjustable to major engine mods. Try running the map for the power dual head pipes but with the V&H monster round slipons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, V&H did send me a map for my EQ, but it still has a sound I don't like. I did try some different configuratons from V&H, but it got worst. I will try your suggestion and see if that makes a difference. I'm still thinking small baffles may be my answer..

·
Registered
116 Posts
My '13 had similar issues when I changed exhaust/intake. Turned out the popping was head pipe exhaust gaskets were leaking. Just a thought.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I recently added V&H slip ons and had the exact same problem. I use a Power Vision and ran several autotunes and almost got it all stopped but finally ended up sending my best tune to Jamie at Fuel Moto and he straightened it out for me except for a pop I get only at 22-2300 rpms when I let off. I sent it back over the weekend and hopefully he will get to it early this week.

When he did the mod to my tune, it stopped the fluttering and popping (except for the 22-2300 pop). Now it is a nice steady low sound on decal with no popping on gear changes.

I agree with the post to check your exhaust gasket and slip on torques and check for leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I checked the exhaust gaskets ad all is fine there. I installed some makeshift baffles and that seems to have he heading in the right direction.

Does ayone know where to find out what the various modes mean, at least the inportant ones?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Ok, I checked the exhaust gaskets ad all is fine there. I installed some makeshift baffles and that seems to have he heading in the right direction.

Does ayone know where to find out what the various modes mean, at least the inportant ones?
I'd call their tech support and see what can tell you about the different modes. Rumor has it V&H is tight lipped about what the modes signify. Still worth a try though

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a question but why the fuel pak?? I see this all the time I read the posts about the issues that go on for days.

Was it cost or some thing you read about how great it is??

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Just a question but why the fuel pak?? I see this all the time I read the posts about the issues that go on for days.

Was it cost or some thing you read about how great it is??
The V&H fuel pak is pretty much a basic or entry level "tuner" for people who don't want to spend several hundred bucks on for example a Power commander or the like that can cost $700+. I've used a fuel pak on my old super glide without any issues until I decided to build the motor then it came out for a real tune. Ive used a fuel pak on my RG since new with only the stage1 with slipons. I had an issue with this one but V&H took care of it and sent me a new replacement with any hassle. The fuel pak works for what it is. If I had the money for let's say an S&S 124 then I'd go with something better;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts