Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished my FM 107 10.5 comp build with level b heads, 999-6a cams. After Stealer dyno problems with my power vision I broke down and bought a Thundermax. I had FM send me a basemap and have been breaking it in. Now that I'm starting to really open her up I'm getting pinging from around 3000rpm and up at wide open throttle using 91 octane gas (pretty much the best you can get around here). I pulled the plugs and the rear cylinder plug is definitely showing lean. It also seams like its running really hot. I'm kind of stuck in a hard place now. I'm supposed to leave for a few thousand miles trip in a few days but I don't want to fry my motor. Anyone have any ideas? I thought this 800 tuner was supposed to auto tuner these things out. Here's a picture of both plugs

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently finished my FM 107 10.5 comp build with level b heads, 999-6a cams. After Stealer dyno problems with my power vision I broke down and bought a Thundermax. I had FM send me a basemap and have been breaking it in. Now that I'm starting to really open her up I'm getting pinging from around 3000rpm and up at wide open throttle using 91 octane gas (pretty much the best you can get around here). I pulled the plugs and the rear cylinder plug is definitely showing lean. It also seams like its running really hot. I'm kind of stuck in a hard place now. I'm supposed to leave for a few thousand miles trip in a few days but I don't want to fry my motor. Anyone have any ideas? I thought this 800 tuner was supposed to auto tuner these things out. Here's a picture of both plugs

What about contacting thundermax? Or check again with FM they give great support and can probably give you good advises.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

First, what map are you running? And are you still using the oem throttle body and injectors?

Beyond that, the generic answers are:

a) You'll need better fuel. I would try something like 2 oz's of Lucas Octane booster /5 gals of 91. See what that does for a couple of tanks. Be sure you measure it out, too much will foul the 02 sensors.

b) After that, if it still pings, you'll need to determine where it pings and address the spark maps.

If it pings at any throttle setting, use this method to fix it.

http://www.thunder-max.com/TechDocs/TimingVsEngineTemp.pdf#view=fit

If it pings at certain throttle roll on positions, use this method to fix it. This is the best way to address it, takes longer, but costs less in HP left on the table.

http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/TimingVsRpm.pdf#view=fit

Now about the heat. You added inches and compression, you are going to have a lot more heat. And you really should think about doing something to manage it. Doing something means putting fans on it.

As for reading the plugs, forget about that. Read your fuel maps. The Tmax will auto tune the fuel. But there are limits. So every couple of hundred miles you need to link up and auto map it. So it writes the learned adjustments and resets the stops on auto adjustments. After a few writes you'll see that the unit is not making big changes anymore. At that point you can turn the auto tune function off.

I would not change the spark tables until after the auto tune has been written to the map at least twice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The down side to the Thundermax is it doesn't use ionic sensing for knock retard, so you have to figure out where your ping is by RPM/throttle position and remove timing there(or add fuel). Is it roll on, or full throttle. If it's a fuel problem, the auto tune will fix it after several sessions. If not, Thermodynes post is going to be your best bet. I spoke to Jake from Thundermax about this at Sturgis. Although the harley knock retard isn't the best, it would help us pin point a ping instead of pulling timing across a range. I love my T-Max, but I hope they change this. adown

PS: +1 for Thermodyne......The days of reading plugs went out with carburetors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts