Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running the factory system on my 06. But I almost never listen to the radio while riding....if I listen to music it's on my Cardo helmet speaker or blutoothed off my phone....so I probably won't be investing in much in the way of stereo upgrades. But I do have a set of new 6.5" Focal K2's sitting gathering dust from a car stereo build. I thought about selling them but then though maybe I should use them since I have them. Of course knowing me...If I install the speakers I'll think, why not just spend a couple hundred on a amp and a couple hundred on a head unit and just be done with it. Maybe if it sounded better I'd listen to it more.

My main question is without a amp would I see much of a benefit here? And where would I mount the tweeters?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Your HK unit is 2ohm... Focal K2's are 4ohm... you will cut your output in half without an amp

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Put those bad boys in and install a Cerwin vega amp and let it rip!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. So, I'd need adapters to install them correct? And what about tweeter placement?

I had stopped at a local stereo shop a month or two ago....they do a lot of bikes as well and are close to me so I went in to see what kind of labor they'd charge if I brought in the components.

He went on about how many dozens of road glides he'd done and then told me he'd estimate TEN hours to install amp, speakers, etc.

WTF? Correct me if I'm wrong but I would have guessed maybe 5 hours if they were taking their time.

So, yeah....I'd do it myself first, even though I know little to nothing about electronics and such. F that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It takes me 5 minutes to take my fairing off, another 10-15 to get the radio and headlight out.

Speakers I can change in 15-30 mins depending on if I'm taking the adapter rings off or leaving them on.

Also, do yourself a solid and get a good amp. Those speakers deserve some love! Trust me, the extra spent will be music to your ears <-- see what I did there :p

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys are all running 2 ways with tweeters? How / where do you mount the tweeters?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm only running coax's, simple 2 speaker setup

Amp is a Rockford Fosgate TM400x4ad bridged.

Currently running Focal PC 165's, just did a poker run today in the rain :p Full face helmet and I had no issue hearing my tunes.

Have run, Arc Moto 602's, Hertz Millie Pro's, Infinity Kappa's, Biketronic Titan II's and I had a set of Arc Moto 6.2 components (I only had them to test, didn't want to cut up my fairing to mount the tweeters)

On my short list are the new Focal EC 165 K (this years model to replace the KRC). I Really like the Arc Moto 602's though, I'd like to run both :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm only running coax's, simple 2 speaker setup

Amp is a Rockford Fosgate TM400x4ad bridged.

Currently running Focal PC 165's, just did a poker run today in the rain :p Full face helmet and I had no issue hearing my tunes.

Have run, Arc Moto 602's, Hertz Millie Pro's, Infinity Kappa's, Biketronic Titan II's and I had a set of Arc Moto 6.2 components (I only had them to test, didn't want to cut up my fairing to mount the tweeters)

On my short list are the new Focal EC 165 K (this years model to replace the KRC). I Really like the Arc Moto 602's though, I'd like to run both :)

What did you use to mount your amp and where did you mount your amp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts
What did you use to mount your amp and where did you mount your amp.
i'm using the Arc Moto mount right now, had a Yaffe mount before for the TM400x4, both mount under the radio.

I mocked up a block of wood the size of a Soundstream PN1000 and it will fit on top of the headlight (you'll need to trim the tabs on the headlight though).

Small amps (CV B2, Diamond Micro, NVX, just double check the amp size) will fit in the side cubbies in between the speaker pods and the radio. I've seen a bike with a Micro2 in one cubbie and a Micro4 in the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts